2011 Mini Cooper vs. 2011 Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

Looking at a fun second car. Niether will be....or have to be an uber reliable car that will be our primary.

I feel like the Fiat is going to be more reliable and is a far simpler car. Both are base model and manual transmission.

Any thoughts on reliability? I know the Minis have a reputation, the Fiats are less notorious.

Theres also a Mazda2 with a stick that just popped up for a few k more.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan

No mini, doing timing chains on an S with 68k that has had 5k oil intervals since 40k. Guides crumbled apart. They are notoriously expensive.

I actually owned both! Not the exact model years but close. The MINI was faster and handled better but not a good daily driver and was mechanically problematic (timing chain and tensioner). It was traded in on the FIAT. The FIAT was slower and a less accurate handling car but much more comfortable as a daily driver and was absolutely reliable for the five years I owned it.

For the same price range, I think I would much rather have a BMW E90 328i than either of those options.

I would get a Mazda or a Kia/Hyundai.

If I were GIVEN a Mini or Fiat for free - it it was running - -
I would immediately sell it (while it still runs) and buy something else. PERIOD.

Being that you live in the UK I would look for something other than a MINI or a FIAT. In the US both are frowned upon due to sub-par reliability and comparatively high labor rates.

If you get the Fiat, go for the Abarth. Not only is it a blast to drive, but that sound will send chills up and down your spine. If you get the Mini, find a John Cooper Works edition. 200 HP must be a blast to drive too, but alas, my 76,000 mile example is just parked because the engine is making some noise.

Thanks a ton guys. Interesting reviews on the mini. I wonder if preventative tensioners would have helped with the tensioner issues?

Im actually in Peterborough, Ontario Canada. I agree with the service costs generally although we have a good independant that only services mini and bmw. Im also confident with the tool.

That being said, I want to have a life aside from laying under the car!

Maybe the mazda is the way to go.

Much appreciated!

Non S Mini= quite reliable. My 2008 has over 150k and the only thing that put it down was a leaky thermostat. Replaced that at about 112K myself and no problems since. It's set up to tow behind the motorhome but that milage doesn't register so the wheels milage is at least another 50K. Absolutely fun to drive, good storage for shopping, easy on tires, and a 6 speed.

Mazdaspeed 3 will be way more fun, and way more reliable.

If I have to choose between OPs choices, I agree with Linctex. Buying something that old, of those two models, likely means when it breaks on you, the next buyer is the guy hauling it to the crusher.

In the Mini world, you def want something 2015+. FIAT I would just avoid as I think they are leaving North America.

Why not buy a miata for cheap?

Originally Posted by wemay
Honda FIT

He said that he wanted a fun car.
lol.gif

Ryan, are you going to take this car out to Kawartha Downs for the motorsport events or is this just for back road driving fun?

I rented a Fiat 500 and thought it was a Horrible little car.
I've owned small cars and just because the Fiat is small, it doesn't make it fun to drive.

My wife owned a Mazda3 with a stick and the 2.0L Skyactiv engine, hence my username. It handled very, very good.

The Mazda2 wasn't successful in North America.

An older Ford Focus with the DOHC and a stick is peppy and not the POS like the older SOHC ones that would drop a valve seat at 100K.

This is the car to buy for the money: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/north-hollywood-2004-focus-zx5/7043281612.html

Originally Posted by Audios
No mini, doing timing chains on an S with 68k that has had 5k oil intervals since 40k. Guides crumbled apart. They are notoriously expensive.

These are really easy to do, not like an old Ecotec where you have to pull the pan and head (might as well pull the engine and do rings and bearings at the same time). The chain, lower sprocket and guide cassette on the mini is a piece of cake.
OP, personally given the choice of the three vehicles you posted I would get the Mini, the Fiat is and always was a huge piece of dung, the Mazda are rust buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back