2011 Mini Cooper vs. 2011 Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'd buy into potential unreliability. Neither the Mini nor the Fiat 500 has a good reputation. You might get lucky, but maybe you wouldn't.

How about a Miata from the west coast. Don't drive it in salt and you'd have a long term reliable fun car.

When I was looking at new cars a few years ago, I was doing test drives on the weekend. On Monday I was talking to the guys at work and said I had just driven a car that was the most fun ride I'd had in years. The guys at the table (all car guys) looked from one to the other and then all voted Mazda3. Yep, a Mazda3 with a manual transmission. That was really fun to drive.

Now imagine what a MazdaSpeed3 must be like.

I can only comment on the Fiat - owned a 2012 500 for a very short period of time and have never driven a Mini.

My '12 met its demise because I could not get it to pass emissions at ~60k due to a pesky EVAP leak that the horrendous Fiat/Chrysler dealership could not trace. Their final offer for repair was to replace the entire gas tank and every line to/from the engine bay to the tune of ~$800 so I just traded it in because I did not have the time to wait for them to get all the parts and complete a drive cycle to get the car in ready status (expired registration tickets in Georgia are not cheap at all). The dealership service is horrific because more often than not you will be at a Chrysler dealership that had the Fiat brand forced upon them.

I will say that car was a hoot to drive. Despite the lowish on paper power numbers it was pretty quick in manual transmission form. It handled like it was on rails, I don't know if I ever had the stability control kick in on corners even at speeds that make me nervous and I like to corner quickly. I really had a good time with the car and would have had it much longer if not for the not passing emissions problem.

Get a Mazda Miata if you want a fun, inexpensive car. They are very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Most have sticks too. Another fun car is a Lexus IS250 convertible. If you want something with more oomph, a Lexus SC430. Even an Accord stick can be lots of fun and they are practical year round drivers.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Crown Vic or Camry- the only logical choices.

Right? Only here can someone say "I'm not looking for the most reliable vehicle in the world, but I want something fun" and get told to get a Toyota or Honda.

Also, how many Camry's equal the cost of a mini or fiat 500?

Originally Posted by NO2
Get a Mazda Miata if you want a fun, inexpensive car. They are very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Most have sticks too. Another fun car is a Lexus IS250 convertible. If you want something with more oomph, a Lexus SC430. Even an Accord stick can be lots of fun and they are practical year round drivers.

Isn't the IS250 pretty much the slowest Lexus ever made?

Minis with the N12 engine usually need several issues addressed prior to 100k miles. In my case the PO addressed all but one- a VANOS solenoid which I fixed a couple of weeks after I bought it. Since then I've only had to replace a temp sending unit and currently at 121k miles it needs the upstream 02 sensor. I love it and plan to use it as my commuter car until I retire(again) in January 2025.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Originally Posted by NO2

And least reliable (mostly because of DI).

Those cars don't interest me nor are not my idea of fun but of the choices I would go Mazda, Fiat then Mini.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Ryan, are you going to take this car out to Kawartha Downs for the motorsport events or is this just for back road driving fun?

Hey Overkill! Theres a local guy! Yes, We did plan on taking it to the cones once or twice

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Audios
No mini, doing timing chains on an S with 68k that has had 5k oil intervals since 40k. Guides crumbled apart. They are notoriously expensive.

These are really easy to do, not like an old Ecotec where you have to pull the pan and head (might as well pull the engine and do rings and bearings at the same time). The chain, lower sprocket and guide cassette on the mini is a piece of cake.
OP, personally given the choice of the three vehicles you posted I would get the Mini, the Fiat is and always was a huge piece of dung, the Mazda are rust buckets.

Thanks Trav, I love the mazda feel, but agree, the original 3's especially really enjoyed rusting! I also wonder if a preventative chain tensioner replacement on the mini would solve the majority of these. We also have a good independent, and I can wield a wrench as well. I'm on the fence....if there's any high mileage committing in my future, I may opt for something Japanese. : (

Originally Posted by ryan2022
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Ryan, are you going to take this car out to Kawartha Downs for the motorsport events or is this just for back road driving fun?

Hey Overkill! Theres a local guy! Yes, We did plan on taking it to the cones once or twice

There's a local guy that rips around in an Abarth, I THINK it's the guy that owns PJ's Auto Spa? Might make sense to hook up with him and ask him about it, I think he might do those events as well.

^THIS

One of the few cars I've sold I wouldn't mind keeping for myself.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Neither - if you want reliability, get a Honda or Toyota.

Sadly, I have to agree with this... Key word Reliability.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Originally Posted by NO2

Yes.

Someone suggested the Honda Fit. My mom has a 2011 Fit Sport, and while it does handle pretty well around corners for what it is, I think it needs at least another 30hp to be considered fun. It's just way too underpowered. Mazda 3's can be decently fun also, but again fairly underpowered. I'd test drive a VW Golf, GTi, or Jetta. They are great cars for the money. No they aren't appliance-reliable, but they aren't as bad as people say and for the money they are quite fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back