2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic - Superb long distance cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently took a long haul road trip in my '11 Mercedes E350 4Matic sedan so figure I would post some impressions.

Stats:

2,506 miles from 12/21 to 12.26
63 MPH Average
24.9 MPG Average (EPA rated 24 MPH hwy)
39 hours 46 minutes driving time

12/21 - Atlanta to St Louis (9.5 hours)
12/23 - St. Louis to Carlton, MN (10 hours)

12/26 - Carlton, MN to Atlanta, GA (18.5 hours)

Fuel Economy:

Glad we exceeded EPA estimates. Combining the cold weather for much of the drive (teens and 20's), the lower octane sold in northern states (91 vs 93), some of our hyper speeds (cruise at 85 MPH - some jaunts to 90 MPH for passing) and the climb up and down the mountains between Nashville and Chattanooga I have to say I was expecting far lower MPG. I didn't do any hand calculations because of so many variables between pumps so just relied on the final # from the OBC once we returned home.

Comfort:

This is by far one of the best long distance cruisers I have had to date, my Volkswagens ('03 Golf, '06 Jetta and '15 Jetta) were right up there as far as long distance comfort. No sore back or bottom the following day. Yeah after the 16 hour mark on the return I started to get a bit squirmy but I chalked that up to being expected for sitting that long in a car. Myself and my partner switched driving duties ~every 4 hours. Climate control was pretty spot on and only required 1-2 degree adjustments every hour or so to maintain comfort.

Performance:

I have a pre-facelift so have the older M272 268HP 3.5 V6 - performance has never really been an issue when it comes to passing maneuvers. There is a dead spot when you are trying to pass where 2nd is too low and 3rd is too high, I experienced this in my '09 C300 as well. Doesn't have the kick that any other passing maneuvers give you, the ratio spread is just not meant for those speeds. Will say the adaptive transmission seemed to have hard coded itself into some economy mode after cruising forever in 7th gear and was not reacting like I wanted it to during our stops (early upshifts and hesitant to downshift), just a few days back in Atlanta is was back to normal.

Driver Aids

4Matic - color me impressed. I took my other half to a frozen lake to get pictures and to say "I walked on a frozen lake" - it had snowed a day before we got there but apparently before it snowed it rained so under the snow was a sheet of ice on the secondary roads. The exit from the lake was an moderate uphill with a stop on the way up, as my ABS was rattling away going into the lake parking I was concerned I would have to call my stepfather to pull me out as I have just all season tires on my car. Car pulled up to the stop with no issue so for fun I just punched it down from the stop, naturally we did not rocket off the line but the 4Matic and TCS had us moving along a lot quicker than I expected with little lateral slip (maybe 1-2" of the back end slipping side to side).

Attention Assist (if you have ever wondered what the cofffee cup in the cluster means) - This is not just fluff that triggers you to stop after a set amount of time. Triggered once on the way up while I was driving and once on the return early in the drive while I was driving. It was only when we were getting back into the metro Atlanta area with my partner driving tired that it triggered 2x within a course of 45 minutes, after the 2nd time (20 minutes left to get home) we rolled the front windows down a bit and blasted music. It was honestly a good reminder that you may be tired and not as focused as usual.

Overall:

I was concerned before the road trip of what to expect because it was such a long haul. But after this trip I would not hesitate to do it again, 18.5 hours is a bit much no matter what car you drive but if it was lets say 16 hours I would not hesitate to tackle it in my E350.

Last edited:
Would there be a Mercedes that is not a good long haul cruiser? Ive not had anything modern but my old 420SEL was great on road trips.

Can't say the same for my 95 E320 conv. Though a good ride for long distances, the seat comfort is horrible. Thirty minutes in and my back is aching all the way to Florida. Not so in other cars.

But I do average 28 mpg. The car weighs 4000 lbs and has 217 HP.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Can't say the same for my 95 E320 conv. Though a good ride for long distances, the seat comfort is horrible. Thirty minutes in and my back is aching all the way to Florida. Not so in other cars.

But I do average 28 mpg. The car weighs 4000 lbs and has 217 HP.

That Florida test is the real deal
I drive it straight and always give up mpg for comfort.
I have one car like that- after 30 minutes your BP goes up and it literally is a torture chamber

Originally Posted by E150GT
Would there be a Mercedes that is not a good long haul cruiser? Ive not had anything modern but my old 420SEL was great on road trips.

My father owned a 2009 GL450 for 5 years or so. The seats in that were surprisingly terrible, and to me seemed like the equivalent of sitting on a park bench. I'm surprised how many modern cars have firm and uncomfortable seats. My Jeep has seats I took out of a late 1990s Grand Cherokee. They are plush but also supportive. The seats in my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee are hard as a rock in comparison.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

My father owned a 2009 GL450 for 5 years or so. The seats in that were surprisingly terrible, and to me seemed like the equivalent of sitting on a park bench. I'm surprised how many modern cars have firm and uncomfortable seats. My Jeep has seats I took out of a late 1990s Grand Cherokee. They are plush but also supportive. The seats in my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee are hard as a rock in comparison.

Are you skinny?

OP:

Glad you are enjoying your car. Nice write up.

My wife and I bought a new 2006 C230 Sport. It had terrible seats, and was a terrible car. So many problems, some of which MB could never fix (driveshaft rumble for one). I should have lemon law-ed that thing. We never should have bought it given the seats, but it was a good looking car, so it seduced me.

Anyway, your E-class is an whole different deal than a C-class. The E-class is a nice machine.

Scott

Originally Posted by zorobabel

Are you skinny?

5'10, 150lbs athletic build.

Are you skinny?

I figured. Same problem here, not enough cushion on the behind means hard seats are a no go.

Are you skinny?

I figured. Same problem here, not enough cushion on the behind means hard seats are a no go.

So I guess auto manufacturers figure they can save on seat cushioning by banking on fat people buying their cars?
lol.gif

I have an 06 Mercedes E320 CDI. Great cruiser with 3.2 L6. Great seats and get aprox 36 hilly highway and 39 on flat lands.

Are you skinny?

So I guess auto manufacturers figure they can save on seat cushioning by banking on fat people buying their cars?
lol.gif

Actually, it's the other way 'round.
Heavier ppl. usually prefer MORE padding vs. lighter ppl who prefer less.
Think bicycle seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back