2011 MDX 49,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our two month old new used Acura MDX my wife just calls me and tells me sitting at a stoplight in town the whole car completely died it started right back up but now I'm absolutely petrified because I was planning on taking this SUV on vacation in 3 weeks thoughts opinions she said she was playing with the stereo and get with the gas to go and it was dead and had to restart the car

Get the battery checked and if original get a new one. These vehicles go wonky with odd voltage. Dependant when this vehicle was sold it may still have the 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. It definitely is in the 7yr/70k powertrain warranty.

My 2007 MDX is on its third battery since new. I had to replace shortly taking ownership at 85k due to nutty electrical gremlins which I think it why the previous owner sold on the cheap. A new battery magically solved SH-AWD light, air bag problems, power windows quit, check engine light and ABS light......

Big thanks to overbooked Acura dealer who sent me to a gas station type garage he trusted to check battery and deem junk. Fixed for $140!

Similar strange issues with 2 batteries replaced under warranty in our RDX. When the second replacement went bad I switched to AutoZone's best battery. Hadn't had any problem since. My recommendation is do not buy a Honda branded battery. Poor performance from them in the two Hondas that we've owned. Hondas are great cars in my opinion but their batteries are no good.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Get the battery checked and if original get a new one. These vehicles go wonky with odd voltage. Dependant when this vehicle was sold it may still have the 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. It definitely is in the 7yr/70k powertrain warranty.

My 2007 MDX is on its third battery since new. I had to replace shortly taking ownership at 85k due to nutty electrical gremlins which I think it why the previous owner sold on the cheap. A new battery magically solved SH-AWD light, air bag problems, power windows quit, check engine light and ABS light......

Big thanks to overbooked Acura dealer who sent me to a gas station type garage he trusted to check battery and deem junk. Fixed for $140!
. Has a lifetime powertrain warranty, but the bumper to bumper is gone.

A bad battery can cause near mystical symptoms in modern cars.

The battery/alternator/starter triumvirate is one of the most misdiagnosed problem areas in any vehicle...

Although the battery tested good this morning I went ahead and put the best thing Walmart on the shelf in it which was 150 cold cranking more than the factory battery

I've never heard of a bad battery causing a car to stall while it was running. Just my two cents. If in the case of the alternator failing (which is basically never with the 07-13 MDX) and the voltage did get low, it would still run for awhile before it completely failed, with the battery light on and other strange electrical happenings before the alternator completely failed.

Odd that it stalled. Modern cars stalling while driving is a relative rarity. They may run poorly or not start, but stalling just isn't something we see much. If it only happened once I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again you know you have an issue.

Also, FYI, the powertrain warranty on those is 6 yrs 70k, not unlimited, unless it was some sort of add on from the location where you bought it.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
I've never heard of a bad battery causing a car to stall while it was running. Just my two cents. If in the case of the alternator failing (which is basically never with the 07-13 MDX) and the voltage did get low, it would still run for awhile before it completely failed, with the battery light on and other strange electrical happenings before the alternator completely failed.

Odd that it stalled. Modern cars stalling while driving is a relative rarity. They may run poorly or not start, but stalling just isn't something we see much. If it only happened once I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens again you know you have an issue.

Also, FYI, the powertrain warranty on those is 6 yrs 70k, not unlimited, unless it was some sort of add on from the location where you bought it.

My wifes stated that since replacing the battery its been perfect, however it was perfect before this one isolated incident.. I suppose time will tell. and to answer the other question, No its not a push button start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back