2011 Mazda 6i - Kendall GT-1 0w20, 6,937 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

This UOA is from my 2011 Mazda 6i 6MT with 40,465 miles. The oil was in service for 6,937 miles and just under 6 months. Mazda requires oil changes every 7500 miles / 6 months whichever comes first during warranty. I was previously using Mobil 1 0w20 (which is the first UOA sample at 9,885 vehicle miles). However it was too pricey for short intervals so switched to the Kendall.

This UOA was performed on my 3rd fill with Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 0w20 so this should be a pretty accurate indicator of this oil and engine combination as previous oils have been drained out. I have been exclusively using Purolator Pure One filters since I purchased this vehicle.

My air filter was changed at 21,249 miles on the clock and I believe it was a FRAM I put in. The miles for this OCI are 75% highway, 25% mixed suburban/urban.

The present fill is again Kendall 0w20 with a Purolator Pure One. This latest OCI finished the 2 cases of Kendall I had in storage. Before purchasing more I wanted to see how this oil does in my application. After my warranty I plan on following a 10k mile OCI.

Thanks for looking.

Mazda UOA 2.jpg

Code:

Make/Model: Mazda6 2.5L 4-cyl

Oil Type & Grade: Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 0w20

Fuel Type: Gasoline (Unleaded)

Mi/HR on Oil: 6,937

Mi/HR on Unit: 40,465

Sample Date: 10/14/13

Make up Oil Added: 0 qts

Aluminum 4

Chromium 0

Iron 6

Copper 3

Lead 1

Tin 0

Molybdenum 84

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 118

Potassium 0

Boron 115

Silicon 11

Sodium 9

Calcium 2680

Magnesium 21

Phosphorus 819

Zinc 904

Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 49.2

cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 7.03

Flashpoint in F: 390

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0.0

Water% 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 2.7

Last edited:
Low wear numbers. Great report. Using the same oil in my Altima 2.5 with a 6250 mile OCI. Encouraged by your report. Plan on getting an UOA near my warranty expiration for hopefully will be extended oil changes.

Any of you people who drive Mazdas using Mazda 0w-20 synthetic? They use a ton of Moly in that one and I wonder if MoS2 really does reduce wear (maybe friction too).

Manufacture recommended OCI is usually conservative to cover short trippers and mostly city trips. For mostly highway with more than 10 mile trips the OCI can easily extend 20-50%. But during warranty period you have to follow the recommended OCI.

Look at that additive package. LOADED with everything! Makes me reassure my decision to run it in my vehicles.

Nice
I'm running Kendall full synthetic in one of the vehicles for the first time. Have enough to do the next change. I just wish it was more readily available locally OTC.
Unless I missed it, I don't see bad things about Kendall oil.

Is this the Skyactive engine? Whichever engine, it sheared the oil to 7.03 cSt, which is pretty thin. Doesn't seem to have affected anything, still a very good report.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Any of you people who drive Mazdas using Mazda 0w-20 synthetic? They use a ton of Moly in that one and I wonder if MoS2 really does reduce wear (maybe friction too).

There are several here using it, do search. The oil is not filled with MoS2, it's soluble Moly. It's there mostly for friction reduction, not anti-wear.

See:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848828#Post2848828

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
.There are several here using it, do search. The oil is not filled with MoS2, it's soluble Moly. It's there mostly for friction reduction, not anti-wear.

Where did you hear friction and not anti-wear? My understanding is that the sacrificial layer of Moly plates against the metal, reducing contact and subsequent wear.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
.There are several here using it, do search. The oil is not filled with MoS2, it's soluble Moly. It's there mostly for friction reduction, not anti-wear.

Where did you hear friction and not anti-wear? My understanding is that the sacrificial layer of Moly plates against the metal, reducing contact and subsequent wear.

Read the thread and presentation in my link. Pay attention to posts by "Mola-Kule", a tribologist. Concentrations of soluble moly up to 75ppm do work in concert with ZDDP and ZDP compounds to reduce wear, but higher concentrations are there for FM.

Also, be very careful drawing conclusions about an oil's wear prevention from the chemistry shown by a $20 oil analysis, many important compounds don't show up. Additionally, compounds of Boron and Ti which do show up, also serve the same purpose as Moly. The best a layperson can do is go by the qualification specs. ACEA and Ford specs are tougher for wear than ILSAC, so an oil meeting those is likely to be superior, regardless of additive levels shown by oil analysis.

gpshumway, many thanks. Its confusing, yet interesting, like most fascinating things in life. My bad, as this thread is about the Kendall oil here.
Back on topic: I have been impressed by Kendall GT-1 part-synthetic blend 5w-20 used in 10,000 mile oil change intervals on a Ford 4.6L taxi fleet for 100,000 miles. And thats just their blend oil; presuming their full-synthetic oil is a tad better. They compared an unknown brand of conventional oil, at the same 10,000 OCI, in the taxi test and found that their oil did very well.

Last edited:
32.gif
But, it is my belief that if Kendall had a better distribution chain the oil would experience more popularity and higher levels of use. Imagine (dare I say) if Kendall was sold at WM instead of ST? Kendall would have been the oil I originally selected to use in my FX4, but availability steered me away from it (it can be ordered online, but shipping cost tends to wipe any savings).

Is this the Skyactive engine?

This is a Mazda MZR 2.5L 4cyl which is very close to the Ford 2.5L Duratec used in the Ford Fusion and Escape. I believe the Mazda MZR uses a different head and tuning.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

That looks like a great UOA. Where do you find Kendall oil? I think I've seen it at Pep Boys once, but that was the only place.

I order it from a distributor in PA. The company is Petroleum Service Company. I think a few other folks order from them too. Since I'm in NY the shipping is reasonable and the oil works out to $4.xx a quart brought to my door. I also order all my oil and air filters from amazon for cheaper than anywhere else with free shipping (Amazon Prime). An oil change with these products cost me about $25.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
32.gif
But, it is my belief that if Kendall had a better distribution chain the oil would experience more popularity and higher levels of use. Imagine (dare I say) if Kendall was sold at WM instead of ST? Kendall would have been the oil I originally selected to use in my FX4, but availability steered me away from it (it can be ordered online, but shipping cost tends to wipe any savings).

+1 Although I got lucky and got a case locally (one time deal.. GT-1 Full synthetic), and have a current fill, I have enough for next OC (coming up soon) and since its so hard to next to impossible to find locally, after my next fill of Kendall I'm going back to Pennzoil.
Local AF Base used to carry Kendall, did for years. Now no more. Bummer

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
32.gif

Indeed. I'd consider it very strongly if it were more available. Around here Lube-Tech, a distributor catering to fleet operators and mechanics carries it, but nobody else. PSC has good prices, but the shipping tends to negate the low price.

I used GT-1's close cousin, Honda Ultimate Synthetic, as the first change in my Civic. It did well, holding it's viscosity index better than the Idemitsu 0w20 or M1 AFE.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
This is a Mazda MZR 2.5L 4cyl which is very close to the Ford 2.5L Duratec used in the Ford Fusion and Escape. I believe the Mazda MZR uses a different head and tuning.

Ah, I knew it was one of the two. I could probably have guessed from the report, the Skyactive seems to be a bit harder on oil. I'm always curious to see which manufacturers have done the best job developing their direct-injected engines. So far it seems the new Accord is excellent, as is the 2.0l in the Focus. The Skyactive is a short step behind, but still a really neat engine.

I could probably have guessed from the report, the Skyactive seems to be a bit harder on oil. I'm always curious to see which manufacturers have done the best job developing their direct-injected engines. So far it seems the new Accord is excellent, as is the 2.0l in the Focus. The Skyactive is a short step behind, but still a really neat engine.

What? Skyactiv is the best, as its able to run with a high 13:1 (North American) compression ratio! Nobody else does that. See Mazda reference click here .... More to the subject, DI does demand a little extra from oil, and dexos1 rated oils pass more tests than the standard SN/GF-5 oils as a result. In 5w-20 viscosity, look for the latest dexos1 rated oils to protect better (wear, anti-foaming, etc.), as in Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20. That said, I wonder if the other 5w-20 synthetics out there would qualify for dexos1 anyway, we don't know,
as nobody wants to pay GM for the privilege of passing the tests. I would "guess" that
Mazda 0w-20 synthetic with high moly passes, just don't know. Certainly Mazda loves it in
their 13:1 compression DI engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back