2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/3.6 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been contemplating buying a 2011 Jeep GC Laredo with the 3.6l engine.

It has 25000 miles, factory option-added heated leather & Navigation. Its nicely equipped for a Laredo.

A test drive was performed today.. I have never driven/owned a Jeep before let alone driven a vehicle with the 3.6l in it. It wasnt neck breaking fast, but definitely accelerated fine for me! (Much more interesting to drive than my Prius, lol). It also drove very smoothly, and in spite of negative reviews of the 5 speed transmission, I found it to shift appropriately. I did a fair share of city driving on my test drive, as well as a 5 mile stint on the highway, where I tested its passing power, etc. All in all, I like it.

What is the longevity of the 3.6l engine looking like? Any known problems for this year/era of Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Basically looking for feedback from my BITOG friends before I go ahead or walk away
grin.gif

Last edited:
My inlaws' '11 GC is doing well at 60kish. Unfortunately, the 3.6 is pretty young, and but for a few people most aren't even thinking of 100k miles yet.

I love the 3.6 in our van. We are coming up on 60k and runs great.

For Chryslers sake, this engine better last or else they have a big problem since it's become their global V6 and is found in Chargers, 200s, 300s, Avengers, Rams, Durangos, Grand Caravans, Town & Countrys, Grand Cherokees, Challengers, Wranglers. So there are definitely a lot of them out there, they just aren't tired yet.

Im completely on the fence. I expected much more feedback, I see a lot of this generation Jeep Grand Cherokee on the road, at least locally... but dont hear much about their reliability. I was planning on going to the dealership tomorrow (thats their late night) and talking numbers.

I researched true delta, and did my usual google search resulting in edmunds reviews and such, but I trust my BITOG group the best.

Last edited:
There's one BITOG member who just got rid of one due to problems with it and another one who has more recently been frustrated with dealer/manufacturer recalls more than with the vehicle itself. Give it some time...more people will chime in.

A lot of the reviews are saying that the updated WK2 with the 8-spd auto is the much better choice. There's a significant improvement in fuel economy and performance with this option.

So, it may be worth holding out until a newer one falls into your price range.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Im completely on the fence. I expected much more feedback, I see a lot of this generation Jeep Grand Cherokee on the road, at least locally... but dont hear much about their reliability.

Reliability ain't Chrysler/Ram/Jeep/Dodge's strong suit....

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

This is of 3 year old vehicles, so the 2011 would fall into that. Note where Jeep falls.

Other dependability surveys paint a similar picture. They all can't be that far off reality much to Mopar fan's chagrin.

I'd also read up on the early Pentastar head issues and see if that unit was affected.

Last edited:
The more I read and hear, the more I wonder if I should hold on to my Toyota.

I sold my GMC Envoy in 2012 because it was a nickle and dimer. Every month something came up with that vehicle. One month its the fuel pump, the next its the power steering, after that was the wheel bearings....
I really do not want to sell my car which has been trouble free to get back into something Im wrenching on constantly.

There is always the Jeep "MaxCare" warranty though
grin.gif
I could still be swayed by purchasing a low deductible service plan. Im going to talk numbers tonight with the dealership.

Last edited:

Nothing's a better bet than a car that you already know is reliable, regardless of the brand. That said, a cared-for Prius has got to be near the top of the heap in terms of I-can-count-on-it-to-be-reliable.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Nothing's a better bet than a car that you already know is reliable, regardless of the brand. That said, a cared-for Prius has got to be near the top of the heap in terms of I-can-count-on-it-to-be-reliable.

I owned my Envoy for 8 years, sold it and bought the Prius in 2012. The Prius was very well cared for. Its been the most reliable piece of anything I have ever bought, literally exhibiting zero issues whatsoever. I cant even say the same for my bicycle, or my plasma tv! (definitely cant say the same for the Envoy - Im pretty sure GM knew selling those trucks was simply a means to beef up its parts sales for years to come! haha)

With that being said, I have received a promotion at work this past spring. The Prius served a purpose of saving me money which is has performed very well. Now Im thinking its time for something a little more fancy and 4wd always helps along with the ability to tow things. I just have to decide for myself if its worth the hit in potential reliability and repairs to buy a Jeep for the tradeoff of I will be able to have 4wd in the winter and tow things. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Gas will never get cheaper. Ok, so has been for the last couple of months. But it'll go up again. I'd keep the Prius, and if you want a 4x4 get a used one. Even a non-reliable one will likely be reliable enough if it's driven lightly. Use the Prius for commuting most days. It's got lots of life left, yet I suspect it won't get you much for trade-in.

I'm somewhat similar, but my 4x4 is my nicer vehicle, largely because it is newer.

I second Supton's suggestion. Plus, a lot of the older Jeeps and such fall into the same category as mine reliability-wise. They have their issues, but they rarely outright break and/or leave you stranded. Mine has it's problems, but when it does, it's almost always something I can fix on my terms / schedule.

Always the same with Mopar here. Same cheerleaders and same detractors.

But note this simple fact: No dependability survey applies to an INDIVIDUAL car. Only a group of cars.

Your Jeep could easily be the most reliable ever. It could go the other way, too. But EVERY car maker drops a lemon once in a while, every single one.

I personally am not a Jeep fan, I've seen them have issues. But just as noted above, they are rarely dead on the side of the road, and can be fixed easily and cheaply....

We just traded our '11 in -- which was optioned much like the one you drove: Laredo X, 3.6, leather, nav, sunroof, tow package, etc. We loved the ride/drive, but it had more issues than our past 15 vehicles combined. Some issues were small, some medium, and 1 fairly major. I have a thread in this forum -- with details. I'm not nit-picky, and only visit the dealer when necessary. Ours had 31k when I traded a few weeks ago. We loved the platform so much, that we decided to give it another try, and went with Durango. You may get lucky, but '11 was a problem-some year. So was 2014. There's 3-4 recent/upcoming recalls on the '11.

If you do buy it, it's the only time I would recommend buying an extended warranty with it.

Last edited:
save yourself a ton of money and get a 2014 caravan stripper value edition for 18 grand. the el grande cherokee is for those kids who were envious in the goonies movie.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
save yourself a ton of money and get a 2014 caravan stripper value edition for 18 grand.

That is an outrageous deal!

Originally Posted By: supton
It's got lots of life left, yet I suspect it won't get you much for trade-in.

You'd be surprised - I bought the car in 2012 with zero down. Make my regular payments (60 mo note) and when I brought the car to get appraised at a used car lot the other day, they are willing to pay $400 more than I owe! The car hasnt dropped much in value. Im not used to that kind of thing!!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
We just traded our '11 in -- which was optioned much like the one you drove: Laredo X, 3.6, leather, nav, sunroof, tow package, etc. We loved the ride/drive, but it had more issues than our past 15 vehicles combined. Some issues were small, some medium, and 1 fairly major. I have a thread in this forum -- with details. I'm not nit-picky, and only visit the dealer when necessary. Ours had 31k when I traded a few weeks ago. We loved the platform so much, that we decided to give it another try, and went with Durango. You may get lucky, but '11 was a problem-some year. So was 2014. There's 3-4 recent/upcoming recalls on the '11.

If you do buy it, it's the only time I would recommend buying an extended warranty with it.

THIS is the kind of feedback I really, really appreciate. Unfortunately, its also the kind of feedback I have been receiving from people I talk to. IMO, the newer Jeep GC's are very handsome vehicles but not even close to being decent in the reliability department. Shame.

Ive been pricing out Jeeps "Max-Care" warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
It's got lots of life left, yet I suspect it won't get you much for trade-in.

You'd be surprised - I bought the car in 2012 with zero down. Make my regular payments (60 mo note) and when I brought the car to get appraised at a used car lot the other day, they are willing to pay $400 more than I owe! The car hasnt dropped much in value. Im not used to that kind of thing!!

You have paid for 35-40% of the car in two years though? Seems like a bit of depreciation? I guess its not nearly as much as you'll see with the Cherokee if you get tired of it in a couple years though. Do you do a lot of miles? I wouldn't be happy with doubling or tripling my fuel bill, and most likely increase my maintenance bills, but that's me with a bit of a commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back