2011 Hyundai Sonata sudden siezure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Maybe since car had less than half it's oil in the crankcase (at least 2 1/4 quarts low), that it's 5000RPM wind up at about the same time the brakes were applied hard caused what little oil that remained to slosh away from the pickup thereby starving engine and causing seizure?

No way, a lower end wouldn't seize up that quick.

^ and once it picked up oil, the filter failed (purolator tear) sucking media in and then re-starving engine of oil.....
Couldn't resist

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Maybe since car had less than half it's oil in the crankcase (at least 2 1/4 quarts low), that it's 5000RPM wind up at about the same time the brakes were applied hard caused what little oil that remained to slosh away from the pickup thereby starving engine and causing seizure?

No way, a lower end wouldn't seize up that quick.

You don't think so at that RPM and (assumed) amount of oil? The story has already changed from 1/2 quart low to 1.5 quarts low, and after addition, still 3/4 down on the stick. I can't help but think the engine was already pretty much dry or really close to it. Just needed this to finish it off. Also, maybe the lower end isn't what gave up, perhaps cylinder wall or broken/jammed valvetrain. This won't be conclusive until autopsy is done.

It was starved of oil. Oil level wasnt checked untill it was too late. Case closed. It was probably abused and neglected.

2011s are know for leaky oil pans. Id be happy to post the work order for my pan replacement.

Check frame cross members and skid plate for "chocolate cake." Skid plate keeps drips from appearing on pavement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
wow - I'm driving the 2010 2.4L (75k now) and so far no issues.
Wonder what's different on the 2011 2.4 and why Sonata - what about others using the same engine.
Maybe mine is known for same issues - haven't checked into it....yet

Your 2010 is an NF and has a traditional MPFI engine. YF was new for 2011 and got direct injection and a 6 speed. The LF is the new 2015.

This is quite possible. I used to own corolla with 1ZZ-FE oil burner. I stayed to top of it and it was never a problem.
But, I did see a few times posted about 1ZZ-FE on forums where someone made a hard right turn and pressed gas at the same time only to kill engine from oil starvation. If you start with low oil and that low oil shifts away from oil pickup tube and then you rev it up to high RPMs, bad things happen.

As a son-in-law myself, I take excellent care of my mother-in law's car @012 Chevy Cruze). I even fueled it, wash, wax, put air in tires, oil chance and topped off antifreeze). All for free since I have no front wheel drive cars anymore and needed to make a trip to WVa. Your son-in-law didn't hurt your sonata.. Something was on the way out and he was just the poor sucker driving it at the wrong time it went kablloey!

Lots of reputable salvage yards can install a used engine for a decent price and in most cases with an engine with fewer miles than your daughters car (I am assuming the rest of the car is in good shape).

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
If the rest of the car was taken care of, swap the engine.

Lots of reputable salvage yards can install a used engine for a decent price and in most cases with an engine with fewer miles than your daughters car (I am assuming the rest of the car is in good shape).

I would make sure the engine is seized, remove the starter and spark plugs. but if it is, the above suggestions are sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back