2011 Hyundai Sonata sudden siezure

Status
Not open for further replies.
130k miles, 4 cyl non turbo. No previous drive train issues. Son in law was driving down the road when someone cut him off forcing him to slam on the brakes and turn to the right to avoid collision. Immediately after that he said the engine was revving to 5000RPM but had no forward drive. Then he wasn't sure if the engine died or he shut it off, but when he tried to restart it he got a lot of flickering lights on the dash and smoke coming from between the battery and the engine (I believe it is in the starter area). He had it towed to his house. When I got there there was a burned electrical smell, and no start or crank, the serpentine belt looks like it had been slipping, and the engine does not seem to want to turn by hand, but I couldn't tell if an accessory was seized or the engine. Could be the starter is stuck engaged I guess. I'll be removing the belt and taking a closer look at it tomorrow, but if anyone has any experience with Hyundai's or suggestions relating to this I'll take them. So far, what happened, and what I am seeing isn't making sense to me.

i dont think its the motor unless it over revved. Hyundai makes a good engine for the most part. But if it did rev for no reason that should be reported.

Just saying, the mysterious driver cutting me off excuse has been around for decades. I took traffic school many years ago and the CHP instructor showed a lot of crash photos as a result of the mysterious driver. Maybe try to imagine a solo accident to help speed along diagnosis.

5 grand and no forward momentum? Maybe someone selected park and broke something in the drivetrain, and broke a motor mount or two, resulting in engine block rotation, and the electrical smell.

I think the first thing I'd do is just check batter voltage. Then make sure power was getting to the starter.

The smoke wasn't near the alternator.

I don't think he could have engaged the starter at 5000 RPM, it has one of those "have a key in the vicinity and push a button" and the computer then starts the car. Even if he pushed the button I don't think the computer would engage the starter.

Not sure how "change all the fluids and replace the belts" would help with this issue. Something is seized.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I second it being put into park by mistake and other strange things happening.

Yeah I get it, but all I can go on is what he tells me. He did top off the coolant and oil before I got there, but the amount he describes he added would have had no effect. He's not really a car guy, but he tries.

What can one say? Remove the accessory belt and see if the engine turns over by hand or not. I once took out an alternator locking up the brakes for a deer. Still not sure why that happened... but new alternator and I was back in business. Hopefully your experience is as straightforward.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
What can one say? Remove the accessory belt and see if the engine turns over by hand or not. I once took out an alternator locking up the brakes for a deer. Still not sure why that happened... but new alternator and I was back in business. Hopefully your experience is as straightforward.

This is the plan of attack for tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

VW sometimes would put a clutch on their alternators, I guess your situation explains why they did it.

Sounds like more to the story is being untold. If not, perhaps in his panic he hit both brakes and gas? Don't see how it could rev to 5K just because brakes were applied and wheel turned. Wonder if car was being raced?

You mentioned he added oil and coolant. Why? Was this done before you were told about this? Maybe lack of oil (actually lower than you were told) was the actual culprit?

Not accusing just asking since this doesn't seem to make sense to you as well.

AS stated earlier, pull belt and try to turn by hand. Look at block for any 'holes'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back