2011 Honda Accord VCM V6; Factory Fill; 6,300 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: R2d2
For what its worth I've had the same car for just over a year, and 28,000 miles on the odometer. My driving is 90% highway, I haven't experienced any oil consumption issues yet, and I keep an eye on it because of this reported issue. The changes they made to the 2011 may have eliminated this problem, time will tell, interesting uoa as well.

Thanks for your post. Good to read, especially with your opposite use with mostly hwy miles. When did you change out the FF? What OCI intervals have you used since? What oil and filter are you using? Have you done any UOAs?

I changed the factory fill at 5500 miles, 40% on the OLM. I have since been using Honda 0w-20 got a good deal on a few cases online, and have been using honda A01's but will use some leftover A02's (previous Civic) when I run out. I've been changing my oil when it reaches 30% which has been in the 8000k mile range. When my Honda oil runs out I'll probably move to Mobil 1, or PP whichever I can get a better deal on. I've also had an Ultra gauge plugged into my OBD 2 port since I drove it off the dealer lot, and have a lifetime 28.6 MPG.

Indy, thank you for posting this UOA. I generally agree with the notion of changing FF oil "early", within some reasonable timeframe, but then you look at the UOA just posted from that 2011 Honda Fit and the FF UOA (ran 10,000 miles) looks better than many broken-in UOAs, so I don't know what the "right" answer is.

Honda's V-6 engine does seem to be harder on the oil than most of their I-4 engines, and the 6 uses a timing belt (which is supposed to be easier on the oil than a chain). I don't know what's fundamentally different about the V-6 engines that apparently stress the oil more, but I am curious.

For what it's worth, I've tried a number of oils in our MDX's V-6, which is extremely similar to what you have, save for the VCM, and I've decided that Mobil 1 0W-20 is what I'm using in it. It just seems to run best on that oil, not in terms of power or MPG, but in terms of NVH. Not related, but I also changed the oil in the CR-V this weekend and used Mobil 1 0W-20 and believe that's what I'll stick with in the CR-V as well.

Thanks for your comments regarding M1 0W-20. I have one OC's worth in the garage now to use after I use up two stints of Honda Genuine. I suspect that the M1 will become my long term choice for this vehicle unless Pennzoil gets their 0W act together and it shows superior UOAs.

I really liked how the Fit owner tested every load. You can see the differences in oil very clearly, although I suspect all three of his tests are SM and therefore subject to change with SN products.

Odd that they list the engine as a 3.0 which is obsolete.....it's a 3.5. Likely just a typo but it makes you wonder about the rest of it.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Odd that they list the engine as a 3.0 which is obsolete.....it's a 3.5. Likely just a typo but it makes you wonder about the rest of it.

Yea the OP should email B/S and inquire about that. If it's more then a typo then the universal average is wrong. Ask them to re-email you the correct report/info.

Honda engineers have enough data to recommend the OCI they do and i agree with them. The days of 1 & 2,000 mile FF oil changes are really out of date with modern oils and engines. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Honda engineers have enough data to recommend the OCI they do and i agree with them. The days of 1 & 2,000 mile FF oil changes are really out of date with modern oils and engines. Ed

I agree Ed. Now, if we can just learn what the engineers actually determined, along with their acceptability criteria, without the filters it goes through before getting to us in the manuals.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Yea the OP should email B/S and inquire about that. If it's more then a typo then the universal average is wrong. Ask them to re-email you the correct report/info.

This is the right thing to do---tell the b Stone incorrect averages of th 3 L engine were used against your 3.5 engine.
They rerun these samples all the time if the customer questions the results. just don't wait too long because they do throw them out in a month or less

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: Artem

This is the right thing to do---tell the b Stone incorrect averages of th 3 L engine were used against your 3.5 engine.
They rerun these samples all the time if the customer questions the results. just don't wait too long because they do throw them out in a month or less

I don't think Artem was suggesting that they need to rerun the tests but rather that the averages compared to my results would be different for the correct engine. I wll contact them and see what they say.

Chubbs1 nailed it. I'd want the break-in wear metals, and junk from casting and assembly out early. Just pick a good oil with lots of moly to replace it with.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Chubbs1 nailed it. I'd want the break-in wear metals, and junk from casting and assembly out early. Just pick a good oil with lots of moly to replace it with.

I bought two OCs worth of Honda Genuine Full Syn 0W-20 and a six pack of OE filters just to make sure there was no question if there was an oil consumption claim on this engine during warranty. I do now have a case of Toyota SM in reserve.

I have this exact car too and will do a UOA on the factory fill. I'm at 60% on my maintenance Minder and at 4,200 miles on the car. stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: R2d2
For what its worth I've had the same car for just over a year, and 28,000 miles on the odometer. My driving is 90% highway, I haven't experienced any oil consumption issues yet, and I keep an eye on it because of this reported issue. The changes they made to the 2011 may have eliminated this problem, time will tell, interesting uoa as well.

4,200 miles on my 2012 Honda VCM V6 and not a drop of oil burned. I check the level twice a week.

My 2010 v6 Accord hasn't burned any oil in 40,000 miles. I changed the factory oil at 3000 and have been using M1 5w-20 since. I have noticed the oil gets dark quicker than my S2000 and the TL it replaced

Originally Posted By: pgarratt
My 2010 v6 Accord hasn't burned any oil in 40,000 miles. I changed the factory oil at 3000 and have been using M1 5w-20 since. I have noticed the oil gets dark quicker than my S2000 and the TL it replaced

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info!

I just performed OC#2 yesterday at 12,700 on car, 6400 on oil at 15% MM. Honda Genuine Full Synthetic 0W-20 out and back in. Sample is packaged and ready to mail to Blackstone on Tuesday. I am hoping for greatly reduced metals and some TBN left. If the sample looks good, we'll start stretching it a little and go to 0% MM.

If you've not done a DIY on this car yet, rest assured it is very easy to do. You do need a cap wrench and 6" extension. And don't forget a new oil plug gasket with each change.

Last edited:
We're at 3600 on our new Civic and it's at 70%. As painful as it is, I also plan to change at 15 or 10%. I'll also post the UOA when I get it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing the data. I did the 10 Armada in my signature line at 2k. I wish I woulda have been a BITOG member and had a clue. I think it's worth the $$ to see what the FF puts out and how it trends down in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back