2011 Frontier; P0430

Round about New Years I got a P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) on my Frontier. I bought the Frontier new in 2011, and to that point had zero issues with it.

It had around 170K on it, so I figured it would need a cat. But I wanted to make sure everything was running well before I put a new cat on and ruined it.

It was almost time for plugs, so I went ahead and changed them. (NTK same number as OEM). Plugs looked really good. I posted the pics here somewhere.

Then I noticed a slight misfire - not enough to even throw a pending code but I could feel it. I chased it down with Torque Pro PID's and it was a cracked coil boot pretty sure. Replaced the boot with new and the plug just to make sure. No more misfire.

Then I noticed the Long Term Fuel trims seemed a bit off. They drop down close to zero under load, but maybe run +8 to 10% when just coasting with no load. So I changed the MAF (Hitachi, which is also OEM) sensor and the rubber gaskets between the parts of the intake - also known failure points. Not much changed.

P0430 came on a couple more times and I noticed the rear 02 sensor seemed a little lazy so I swapped that (Denso, same part as OEM). It still seems a little lazy but no codes since?

A couple weeks ago I had a crank sensor fail abruptly. It was also original, and is also a known failure point on these. Replaced it with a new Hitachi from RA. Problem gone for the last 2000 miles or so.

Was talking to another Nissan owner of this genre, and they suggested going ahead and changing the primary A/F sensor - maybe part of the slightly off LTFT? So I ordered one of those from RA.

From the crank sensor failure I realized I had original cam sensors still in this thing. Also known failure point. So put those on the same RA order. Oh and Hengst oil filter - no extra shipping 🥳

I have been driving the truck a lot. I haven't had a code or pending code since the 02 Sensor change. So in about 18,000 miles I likely had 5 or 6 of P0430 codes, but none in the last 5K miles or so. Its all mostly really long highway trips.

If I wasn't OCD I would likely have just changed the cat and there would be no story here :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JTK
At least you have the option of a non-CARB cat unit if you so choose. Luckily the two downstream units are un-monitored. Per RA, looks like CARB compliant upstream CCs are only in the $300 range for a 2011.

I think my 2022 Frontier has something like $5K worth of CCs on it which is frightening.

At least you have the option of a non-CARB cat unit if you so choose. Luckily the two downstream units are un-monitored. Per RA, looks like CARB compliant upstream CCs are only in the $300 range for a 2011.

I think my 2022 Frontier has something like $5K worth of CCs on it which is frightening.
Yes I have done them on my Xterra. Not a terrible job, the hardest part is the heat shield. They were like $150/each a few years ago.

The aftermarket will make them for the new Fronty by the time you need them.

Reactions: JTK
Back