2011 Ford Fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. If it looked good in Europe, it couldn't just come right over. It had to be massaged to make it another car that will do you no good and offer no advantage.

..btw- is GM still coming out with their "throw away" diesel (which I'm sure it will be)? Plenty of them in Europe too, but we had to wait until they can reinvent the things for our consumer market.

Early-mid 2010 I think it is supposed to start selling. I think production starts in March '10. It probably won't have a diesel version because the dang EPA hates diesels. It would probably get like 65MPG with a 1.6L turbo-diesel. Plus loads of torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yeah. If it looked good in Europe, it couldn't just come right over. It had to be massaged to make it another car that will do you no good and offer no advantage.

..btw- is GM still coming out with their "throw away" diesel (which I'm sure it will be)? Plenty of them in Europe too, but we had to wait until they can reinvent the things for our consumer market.

True, in order for us to get a good car like that, they first have to dumb it down by adding weight and plenty of unneccessary stuff (power windows, steering, locks, big back seat, etc). No, we cannot get the same good version that the rest of the world has. Im willing to bet that it will weigh more, be bigger for us Americans and get less than 40mpg.

Years ago 40mpg was easy and now only hybrids and the Smart car (yuck) get the 40+ range.

But its probably our fault for not buying the gas misers. You have to try one before you knock it. I used to be all about the power (Z28) then sold it and bought an economy car(Aspire) and realized it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow added to the other benefits of an economy car (mileage, reliability, short wheelbase and lower weight means better handling.

A economy car is the best candidate for a FWD configuration and IMO should be the only kind of car to be FWD. BIg I4s, V6s, and V8s should never be transverse mounted, but a mechanic once told me that is the way it is because it is easier for the automakers to install a FWD machine than fool with a driveshaft and diff..

Ford already eliminated the best Fiesta...the 3-door. It's a Europe only car, for whatever reason. So, I'll be looking at a Kia Forte Koup.

Lots of extra steel rotating with a RWD platform. Worse efficiency.

On the other hand, I once rented a Dodge Magnum, and it got a respectable 28 mpg hwy with the 6 and RWD. Handled great- I drove from BWI airport to DC and then through Baltimore before I ever even knew it was RWD. My only complaint about the car was that it was very hard to judge the length from the drivers seat. And the DBW was laggy.

Funny, the Fiesta. Based on the Mazda DE platform, it's basically the (obligatory) Ford clone of this car:

mazda2_neo_17.jpg

...which has been on the market for well over a year. Why the 2 hasnt been brought here is another mystery from the marketing department. The Ford version has the same Mazda gasoline engines, and a PSA (Peugeot Citroën) diesel available. I don't think it will have the Atkinson-cycle Mazda engine or CVT, but that's yet to be seen.

what about the MITSU COLT ? Think that'll arrive ? See where the diesel can reach close to 60 m.p.g..

Originally Posted By: smokey1
what about the MITSU COLT ? Think that'll arrive ? See where the diesel can reach close to 60 m.p.g..

Probably when it can be laden down with requirements to make the diesel option a failed economy. Look at the Jeep Liberty. It only came on the most expensive Liberty ..just to make buying a diesel for economy's sake an act of foolish futility.

still would consider a gas powered COLT . Had '80 - '92 . Those were COLTS , CHAMPS , and EAGLE Summit sedan . Could pick up used COLTS or CHAMPS for $125 > $450 and run for a few years or more . Easy to work on as well . Those were the days .
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Try to keep up, Max. Mazda2 coming Fall 2010...

Ah yes, long time internet rumour, finally confirmed. Too bad it's not nere now, is basically what I'm saying... I don't get this waiting game for North America. When Honda decided on importing the Fit/Jazz for NA they wasted no time.
21.gif

I totally agree with this stupid waiting game being old and tired.

I'm a long time Ford buyer who just bought a Chevy HHR because I needed a High Mileage DD. I would have loved to have bought a new focus, my 2002 SVT version was a great car. But I refuse to buy the old Focus when an improved fantastic newer version is available to Europe and Mazda buyers.

In the next three years Ford will flood this market with great new small cars....it's about time!

I'm sure it's all part of some scam that both helps and hurts someone ..either both ..helps someone now ..hurts the same person later ..with interest.

The main reason WHY the US gets screwed with a lack of quality small cars is mainly because the marketing research companies are paid by them to let them think that the biggest profit margin product they sell is the most in demand.....AND THAT IS BAULDERDASH!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the distributors over here are wising up to that fact that these folks that essentially CREATED a job for themselves are much to blame for the focus on huge SUVs and Trucks...the buying public was conned into thinking these are what the wanted. Can you say mass manipulation? I don't take some of the blame away from the gullible consumers but the marketing folks in the USA are very diabolical and clever about how they do their craft....

I love the Fiesta but don't hold you breath. I have a bad feeling that the excellent European model will be dumbed down
because some marketing hack says their research (of questionable sources and value) says it should be.

ABSOLUTELY the US 08 Ford Focus MKI debacle is example #1 of how company politics and turf protection can create a product disaster. It would have cost Ford LESS to DOT/EPA the MKII and say build it in Mexico or Canada. Rather than spend millions on redoing the cosmetics on a 8 yr old design. What utter nonsense!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Rather than spend millions on redoing the cosmetics on a 8 yr old design. What utter nonsense!!!!!!!

Agreed! What is their obsession with that old Focus platform? Is it just because it's cheap and made of domestic components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back