2011 Ford F150-ecoboost - what fluids to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Great site but man is it info overload! I've tried to do some reading and searching, and I think I've narrowed it down but some feedback is greatly appreciated. I've used Valvoline Maxlife for a long time on my 97 Homda Accord, 231,000 miles worth. I've never done a Oil analysis, but it still runs good and the internals are clean. Valvoline full synthetic serves me well on the 08 outback with 101,000.

I recently ventured into the domestic market again with a slightly used 2011 F150 with the ecoboost. I have a few oil changes under my belt from the dealer (can't beat free) and they used Morotcraft Blend. I've read that is a good oil and ill stick with it until the warranty is up. That is, unless something else is recommended, especially if it can eek out more MPG's.

I live in the Ozarks so lots of hills and lots of hilly highway driving. I rarely tow and will occasionally put my foot into it. Mostly it's set the cruise at 65 and drive the hills trying to get better MPG's. I like to change fluids, I have always changed transmission and diff fluid in any vehicle I'm able too at 33,000 miles. I just picked that number. I change my oil every 6000 or so miles, even on full synthetic. I always recycle, use old oil for bar oil or use it in other equipment. Some may say its a waste, I say it's cheap insurance and my cars have served me well with this schedule.

So with all that being said, what advice/feedback/suggestions would you have? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for any assistance you can offer.

We like to use only Chevron products at work and full synthetics on anything TURBO'D up just as a shield against turbo problems and hope they will live a better happier life because they are not cheap and you have two. The only thing we use Semi Syn's on is Dexos1 GM's and everything else either Chevron Supreme regular or synthetic based on customer wants due to cost unless the car is a synthetic only engine. We have used alot of Chevron products over the years with never a question or complaint.

Congrats on the new purchase, I'd love to get into a similar ecoboost F150! As far as fluids go, i'd go go with a full synthetic over the blend mostly because it would make me sleep better at night, but I've also read on this site that turbos are somewhat taxing on engine oil and full synthetics generally hold up better in these situations because they are more resistant to breakdown. The only way to know for sure is to do a few UOA's establishing a baseline from which you can decide your next move. I've used blackstone just because its easy and they send you the sampling containers for free. In any case, welcome and happy learning, lol!

i recommend a full synthetic, especially since that vehicle is turbo charged. Amsoil OE/xl, mobil 1, valvoline synpower, kendall gt-1 full syn, pennzoil plat/ultra. these would be my choices in that order. that engine has a little bit of fuel dilution from what i understand so 5-6k is a good interval on a full synthetic, according to some used oil analysis here on BITOG. take a look at those, that may help you decide.

Last edited:
I'd keep up with the Motorcraft synthetic blend and change it every 5-6k miles. With the fuel dilution issue those motors have, you won't be able to take advantage of the extended drain capabilities of a full synthetic. The Motorcraft blend is an excellent oil and seems to hold up very well even in those turbo engines.

The OEM oil change interval for the truck is 7500 miles on any oil meeting the Ford Spec.
With that said, I run Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (because it's darn hot here in Texas during the summer), OEM filter, and change every 5k miles. I change all my vehicles every 5k cause it's just easier for me to remember...
Oh, the turbo's are water cooled, not oil cooled on the Ecoboost. Therefore, you do not have to wait for turbo spooldown-cooldown like other Turbocharged vehicles and be worried about oil temps..
FWIW, using cruise control in the mountains results in worse fuel economy. Better to use your foot...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
The OEM oil change interval for the truck is 7500 miles on any oil meeting the Ford Spec.
With that said, I run Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 (because it's darn hot here in Texas during the summer), OEM filter, and change every 5k miles. I change all my vehicles every 5k cause it's just easier for me to remember...
Oh, the turbo's are water cooled, not oil cooled on the Ecoboost. Therefore, you do not have to wait for turbo spooldown-cooldown like other Turbocharged vehicles and be worried about oil temps..
FWIW, using cruise control in the mountains results in worse fuel economy. Better to use your foot...

Not correct info.
Ford states a 10k or 1 year oci for normal service
7.5k oci for severe
5k for extreme towing.

Coolant also circulates through the turbos after shutdown.

Also the turbos are both water and oil cooled.

People forget that the turbo is water cooled on the F150 even with the engine off so you could rev the [censored] out of it then turn it off and not cook the oil, Ford doesn't require a full syn for this application.

Unlike my Jetta I have to let the turbo cool before shutting it off or I could cook the oil and VW required Full Synthetic on my application.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Sorry about that, thought it was 7500 miles OCI for 2011 and then they changed to 10k 2012 and up..

Nope started in 2011

Wow, great replies guys thanks. Would the same advice for oil apply to trans/diff/transfer case fluids? Have a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back