2011 F-150 Ecoboost Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gets a little long.
I've had the truck for about 4 months now. I just changed the oil out at 5,000 miles and the truck has 11,000 on it now. I got it when it was around 70 outside so it has a few weeks of warm temps and the rest has been winter driving.

Fun factor:
10/10 All that power on demand is awesome.

Power:
Wow. Great little engine, it's hard to believe that theres only a V6 under the hood. It does not have the rumble of a V8 which I miss at times but this engine and truck is QUIET. Its really nice not to have to speak loud to have a conversation. A friend has a 2011 RAM with the Hemi and it can hold its own but it still cant keep up with the ecoboost. I think that will change once the RAM gets a 6 or 8sp transmission. This truck NEVER downshifts going up hills, at work we have some 5.4L with 6sp and they downshift 2-3 times going up hills where this engine just builds boost and keeps on going. I didnt use to notice this but not after driving the work truck you can really notice the low end torque and the not having to shift. Still not use to seeing a truck engine hit 6,000 rpms.

Comfort/interior:
My seats are nice cloth and I can it in it for hours and not be uncomfortable. The 4.2" LCD screen is an awesome little tool but I wish it had more options like Oil temp, boost, and other info. It does tell you transmission temp. I have a supercab and 2 grown men can fit in the back some what comfortably if you can scoot the front seats up. I was debating between a RAM and the F150 and the interior in my opinion was better in the Ford, the RAM just felt like a more cheaper plasticy interior.

Ride:
My truck has the XLT Off road package so I was expecting a rougher ride and this thing rides pretty darn smooth, especially with C off road tires. Even with stiffer tires the truck is pretty smooth over bumps but you can still feel some of the bigger ones due to the harder tires.

MPG:
Where to start, this is the tricky one. Ford advertises this at 21MPG highway, now keep in mind they probably use a 3.31 rear axle for that testing and mine has the 3.73 E-Locker. Over the past 5,000 miles my average was 15.8 MPG. This was 80% Interstate 75mpg and 20% off-road 4x4, hard city driving. I just returned a 300 mile road trip today and it got 18.4mpg on gentle rolling hills. These mpg numbers are all on E10. Stop and go driving kills my average MPG, also I got the truck just before it started turning colder and I use the remote start 5-10 mins (defrost windshield) in the morning and that seems to really drop the ave MPG by 1-2 easily, so keep that in mind when looking at the 15.8 average because during that time the engine is running i'm getting 0 mpg. The warmer weather at 60mph on flatter ground Ive seen 20.8mpg. This engine by far is the most temperature picky engine I've had, the warmer it is the better MPG I get, maybe just winter fuel? My summer average is going to be around 17 due to not using remote start and 4x4 as much.
The biggest thing is that this engine CAN and WILL get great MPG 55-60mph, but once you go past 70 the MPG starts to drop fast. Going against a 15mph wind at 60mph I get 17-17.5, going 75mph I get around 16-16.5mpg.
So a wrap up on mpg, I have 3.73, C tires, used 4x4 prolly 500 miles, 70-75mph driving, hard city driving, remote start, E10 I'm pretty satisfied with the 15.8 mpg during winter use. 17 mpg ave. during warmer weather.

Audio:
The sound is ok for factory as I don't have the premium sony audio system, not great but not the worst ive seen. I will probably be replacing the speakers and putting an amp of some sorts in there to boost the sound quality. I love the sync system as I never liked/and never did drive on the phone, I can now talk without even touching my cell phone. Big advantage and I can watch the road.

Dislikes:

The ecoboost engine is only 3.5L, its harder than heck to reach the oil dipstick! The wind catches the half door and you can hear the wind quite a bit hitting that small door space. I also don't like how the intercooler is in front of a big hole in the bumper, it makes it easy for sand/road grime to get caught and plug up the intercooler - ill be watching this and will prolly put some type of small billet grill in the hole to help block that stuff but still allow for good air flow to the intercooler. I also dont like that the chrome on the wheels is just a chrome wheel cover.

Summary:
Great truck, I've had 0 problems on with so far. Awesome power and decent mpg for the power. I'm very curious to see Ram and Chevys answer to compete with this engine. If anyone has any other questions please ask. Id rate this truck a 9.5/10. I know there's a few other eco owners on this forum who can probably attest to my review.

I will be sending in my UOA in next week, this would have been the third OCI so hopefully see most of the wear metals decreasing and flushed out by now. OCI at 2k, 6k, 11k.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Nice review. Your feelings of the power of a turbo V6 I can relate to....that's exactly how I felt when I got my 1987 Buick Grand National (turbo intercooled 3.8 V6) new in '87. Even today, that car makes such smooth power!

Have you ever experienced the startup shudder(seems to mostly be the crew 6.5 beds with 2 piece shafts) or 55-60mph shudder alot of people have complained about? Evidently there is a new TSB out for the 55mph one if you have.

Last edited:
Definitely a nice review. We need more reviews like this!

I think with trucks and their shape, mileage dropping off significantly when one exceeds the 55-60 mph range you mention is to be expected. Any "boxy" vehicle I've ever owned has had that problem.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
Have you ever experienced the startup shudder(seems to mostly be the crew 6.5 beds with 2 piece shafts) or 55-60mph shudder alot of people have complained about? Evidently there is a new TSB out for the 55mph one if you have.

No shudder here.
The only thing I've experienced and forgot to include is at 45mph there is a slight hesitation once in a while. Dealer told me that once in a while under high turbo loads there is a misfire due to condensation in the intercooler causing a misfire. Ford is working on a solution. I only noticed it 3-4 times on ramps to the interstate. Give it gas it takes off then a 1 second hesitation during acceleration and then it takes off again.

Think im gonna have to get another 150 in the future. i had an 08 and it was by far my most favorite vehicle. Rattle free untill 30k unlike the 08 accord i had and current 11 camry which started at like 800 miles.
frown.gif
Drives me NUTS

Nice truck. Still haven't heard any reports of any real mileage with these. Fuel is used to make HP, not advertising!

I only wish we could hear about some after 100k miles and so on...

A co-worker of mine really likes his. He ordered his and waited quite a while. It's an FX4, super-crew cab w/ 8ft bed. He's only got around 2000mi on it at this point, but he's getting 15-17mpg.

He says the power is outstanding, as is the shift quality of the 6spd automatic.

He paid well into the $40K range for it. His payment is like $550/mo. Young single dude, so he's got no problem swinging that.

WAAAY too rich for my blood. You can buy a lot of gas with that extra $10-15K.

Joel

Good review volk06
I really like mine. I have not had it for to long now, but I know it is a keeper. It is a very comfortable truck and drives beautifully. I only wish I had opted for the 6.5 bed. The 5.5 is to short.
IMG_1057.JPG

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
11K miles in 4 months!!! Wowsers!!!

That's 11k since June. I bought it with 6k. 5k in 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back