2011 Chevy Malibu LT fsbo….but..

this is a very well cared for and clean car...for it's age it's in fantastic condition especially here in the Midwest. the caveat is they want 8500.00 which is crazy high, but given the current market how crazy are they. they say it's that price do to oil change, trans flush, brakes and tires done. (I'm thinking yeah so what) it has 154000 miles. lets assume it drives as nice as it looks and I can't find any mechanical issues with it..in this current market what is a fair price these days???

Median KBB value for a 154000 mile Malibu LT in gray with standard options in Very Good condition in the KC metro area for a private party sale is $5200.

Excellent condition would be $5675.

Cargurus.com has a couple similar models in the midwest for more reasonable values

I am not buying a ten-year-old General Motors sedan that lived its life in the upper Midwest. The brake pipe and fuel lines are shot, near being shot, or will be rotted sooner than later.

GM knows how to prevent the brake pipe rot in the sedans they build. The cost is likely under $10 per sedan. But GM truly does not care about its core sedan customer, the hard-working people of the Midwest and Northeast that have been loyal to GM for decades and generations.

I missed where we determined the car in the first post is a rustbucket.

Not all Midwest cars are the same. When I lived in Peoria IL, they didn't use salt on the roads, they used cinders. Cars didn't rust badly like they do in Chicago, where the typical winter snowfall gets about two inches of snow, and four inches of salt. OP says the car is clean with no mechanical issues.... Surely he has checked it for rust, right?

agree guys, I came up with 5500.00 so I guess they can buzz off....and yes for it's age and where it's lived it's a cream puff compared to like models, but even they have a limited price...I was going to maybe bite and go up to 6500.00, but I don't feel good about the overall gm reputation...believe these were prone to have TC issues...2.4 ecotec

Not all Midwest cars are the same. When I lived in Peoria IL, they didn't use salt on the roads, they used cinders. Cars didn't rust badly like they do in Chicago, where the typical winter snowfall gets about two inches of snow, and four inches of salt. OP says the car is clean with no mechanical issues.... Surely he has checked it for rust, right?
All it takes is one trip through salt to permanently impact the cheap steel pipe GM uses for its brake lines. And if the car was never in salt, the new owner may be. This is a just say no moment. Nobody should be owning and/ or driving a ten-year-old GM sedan in the upper Midwest or northeast if avoidable. One can buy a 2011 Honda made in Ohio if made in USA is a key criteria.

Go look at ATIKOVI post on his low mileage GM sedan and the brake pipe going into the ABS. That is very, very normal, not an exception for GM sedans and the like.

My Wife's 2000 Bravada with 60k had a brake pipe fail because of corrosion at 60k miles. NO EXCUSE for that to happen. Thank God it happened during a weekday in a Panera parking lot. My Wife, like many other Americans, may not be so savvy on accident avoidance on a failed brake pipe. I replaced all the brake pipes in my Wife's Bravada with copper/ nickel brake pipe. It did not cost me much but was a royal pain in the dupa to do the job. SHAME ON GM FOR EXPLOITING ITS MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERs. THEY KNOW THEIR BRAKE PIPE STEEL IS BEYOND JUNK FOR ITS MIDWEST AND NORTHEAST CUSTOMERS- BUT THEY CARE LESS.

They seem to want to charge for maintenance which is crazy, even an insurance company does't consider those maintenance items into the value.

I think some of you are little low considering the market were in according to a quick search, $8500 is a bit high.

Kbb says my 2008 Buick with 90k fair market price $5980. If I was going to sell it I would start out at 7k, can always come down.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 12.51.59 PM.jpg

When I lived in Peoria IL, they didn't use salt on the roads, they used cinders. Cars didn't rust badly like they do in Chicago, where the typical winter snowfall gets about two inches of snow, and four inches of salt.

Northern Virginia used to be like that. Within the last 15 years they've started dumping ridiculous amounts of salt on the roads. One year the windshield of my car was covered in salt residue despite being parked 90 feet from the road. I figure that some VDOT manager has a cousin in the salt business....

All it takes is one trip through salt to permanently impact the cheap steel pipe GM uses for its brake lines. And if the car was never in salt, the new owner may be. This is a just say no moment. Nobody should be owning and/ or driving a ten-year-old GM sedan in the upper Midwest or northeast if avoidable. One can buy a 2011 Honda made in Ohio if made in USA is a key criteria.

Go look at ATIKOVI post on his low mileage GM sedan and the brake pipe going into the ABS. That is very, very normal, not an exception for GM sedans and the like.

My Wife's 2000 Bravada with 60k had a brake pipe fail because of corrosion at 60k miles. NO EXCUSE for that to happen. Thank God it happened during a weekday in a Panera parking lot. My Wife, like many other Americans, may not be so savvy on accident avoidance on a failed brake pipe. I replaced all the brake pipes in my Wife's Bravada with copper/ nickel brake pipe. It did not cost me much but was a royal pain in the dupa to do the job. SHAME ON GM FOR EXPLOITING ITS MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERs. THEY KNOW THEIR BRAKE PIPE STEEL IS BEYOND JUNK FOR ITS MIDWEST AND NORTHEAST CUSTOMERS- BUT THEY CARE LESS.

This is not true, I've seen many older GMs in the NE that don't have rusted out brake lines. Inspection is warranted, but ruling it out without an inspection is absurd.

This is not true, I've seen many older GMs in the NE that don't have rusted out brake lines. Inspection is warranted, but ruling it out without an inspection is absurd.
If GON said it, it must be a rusted-out death trap. There can be no middle ground.

This is not true, I've seen many older GMs in the NE that don't have rusted out brake lines. What happened to your 2000 was an anomaly.
While I lived in Phoenix and worked at Luke AFB, I spent free time going to pull a part to get clean GM brake pipe. With so many cars in Phoenix begging their life in the upper Midwest and the northeast, it was not so good of an endeavor. The pattern was clear, GM used crap brake pipe steel and very minimal exposure to salt caused unnecessary failure. The European auto makes in the 1970s addressed this issue- GM still has not, they laugh at their buyers from the big private jets flying over the upper Midwest and Northeast.

Where I went to get no corroded GM brake pipe and fuel lines was El Paso TX (FT Bliss) junk yards. These yards were full of GM vehicles that spent their life in far west Texas and they were always clean/ like new.

If GON said it, it must be a rusted-out death trap. There can be no middle ground.
There is no middle ground for GM using cheap steel pipe for brake pipe. Screws over the people most loyal to GM, the working class of the Northeast and Midwest. The European automakers started phasing out steel pipe for many passengers' cars in the 1970s.

It blows my mind the defense of GM using cheap steel brake pipe, when a product that has been available since the 1970s and costs just a bit more is readily available and feasible to utilize.

The European auto makes in the 1970s addressed this issue- GM still has not, they laugh at their buyers from the big private jets flying over the upper Midwest and Northeast.

The brake lines on my 1984 Chevy Cavalier, which spend the first 4 years of it's life in Chicago and does have some rust on the body (edges of the front doors), are fine. No corrosion.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
There is no middle ground for GM using cheap steel pipe for brake pipe. Screws over the people most loyal to GM, the working class of the Northeast and Midwest. The European automakers started phasing out steel pipe for many passengers' cars in the 1970s.

It blows my mind the defense of GM using cheap steel brake pipe, when a product that has been available since the 1970s and costs just a bit more is readily available and feasible to utilize.
Let me run outside and tell my 22 year old Trans Am, 25 year old Z71 and 17 year old Buick. Not a spot of rust on any of them.

Reactions: GON
Back