2011 Chevrolet Cruze 153k under cam cover pics and PCV fix

Long story short, my daughters 1.4 trubo Cruze fell victim to the intake manifold internal PCV failure. This caused failure of the diaphragm in the cam cover that requires replacement of the cover. After much reading, I decided to install the "Cruzekits" PCV fix to eliminate the internal PCV in the manifold and replace the cam cover. The other option is to replace the entire intake manifold that still uses the problematic internal PCV. All things considered, the R&R went fairly smooth and was very pleased with the condition of the internals at 153k miles. The biggest drawback is the 24 hour cure time of the epoxy to plug the PCV holes and had shipping delays thanks to the USPS. We have owned the car since new and used various synthetic 5w30 for the duration of the 100k powertrain warranty then switched to various 0w40 or 5w40, mostly PP euro and M1 snagged on clearance with rebates. The 1.4 uses a cartridge filter and Wix 57674 filters have been used thus far.

Top picture is the condition as found, bottom is after cleaning of the mating surfaces.
Cruze 153k.jpg
Cruze 153k cleaned.jpg

My daughter has the same engine in her Encore and had the dealership make a warranty repair but they never told her what exactly they did. Something about a check valve. Which kit did you get from Cruzekits? Some videos also say to replace the intake manifold but that is a lot more work than just the valve/cam cover. The Dorman valve cover might be better than OEM with an improved internal PCV valve.

Valve train looks quite good. Obviously been maintained. Curious what your average oci has been?

Think you made the correct call on separating the PCV valve from the cover. Not a fan of the cover integral PCV valve.

Clearly a bitog member under valve cover pic result.

My daughter has the same engine in her Encore and had the dealership make a warranty repair but they never told her what exactly they did. Something about a check valve. Which kit did you get from Cruzekits? Some videos also say to replace the intake manifold but that is a lot more work than just the valve/cam cover. The Dorman valve cover might be better than OEM with an improved internal PCV valve.
I chose the newest version 3.4+ that does not require manifold removal. The plastic plug and epoxy seemed a bit cheesy but the install went smooth. If the plastic plug/epoxy ever fail, I plan to remove the manifold and install a more permanent plug(i.e. screw with rubber washer). Some of the previous versions are still available but require manifold removal, all about how you want to "correct" the failure.

Curious what your average oci has been?
All OCIs up to 120k were 10k miles even though the OLM indicated it could go more. Once the car was not a primary vehicle for my wife, annual changes at about 5-7k miles.

Still original turbo? I thought these 1.4s had turbo issues, but that may be on a different model like the Encore. Nice and clean, though I'm sure someone will come in and say 10k miles is too long for a small turbo engine.

Clean yes, but any spalling on the cam lobes over the nose? Did you indicate the cam to see if it is within wear allowance?
Oops! just magnified the photos you posted and see GM uses class 2 finger followers with torrington rollers - typical for vehicles that use light grade oils.
Seem like you are on the ball to get a good service life for your daughters car - thumbs up ! - Ken

Still original turbo?
Turbo is original. The only issues we have had since new was a cam cover diaphragm during the warranty period and I replaced the seals on the oil cooler/filter assembly at 133k.

Believe it or not, this car is still sporting the original brake pads although the fronts will probably get replaced this year.:oops:

Last edited:
How obnoxious is the transmission?
I guess it's all what you are used to but I agree the shifts are less than perfect. Seems to hold a gear longer than necessary. My biggest complaint is the final drive ratio seems to be too low (numerically too high). When I drive the car, which is not often, I shift manually and the car is in 6th before 40 mph.

Crazy contrast, the wife's Kia Sportage with a N/A 2.4 L shifts much more reasonably and the final ratio is near perfect.

It is no surprise that synthetic oil does a great job keeping things clean and well lubricated. That little engine will probably keep working just fine for another 150K miles. Smart choice to move up a little in viscosity. A conventional cam chain like that really benefits from higher viscosity oil.

I guess it's all what you are used to but I agree the shifts are less than perfect. Seems to hold a gear longer than necessary. My biggest complaint is the final drive ratio seems to be too low (numerically too high). When I drive the car, which is not often, I shift manually and the car is in 6th before 40 mph.

Crazy contrast, the wife's Kia Sportage with a N/A 2.4 L shifts much more reasonably and the final ratio is near perfect.
Yeah the RPM on the highway is crazy high (for a modern car), iirc around 3k at 75. Compare that with my Taos or the Jetta, 8th gear gives barely 2100-2200rpm at 75-78. When people say that 6 speeds are "perfect" and 8 is "too many" I point them at that transmission because it's just frustrating to drive despite having "only" 6 gears and doesn't have enough ratio spread, apparently, to have a tall enough final drive for best mpg.

All OCIs up to 120k were 10k miles even though the OLM indicated it could go more. Once the car was not a primary vehicle for my wife, annual changes at about 5-7k miles.
😱, 10k OCIs?! Some folks would condemn that. Clearly your engine is toast!

Valve train Looks fantastic 👍🏼

Long story short, my daughters 1.4 trubo Cruze fell victim to the intake manifold internal PCV failure. This caused failure of the diaphragm in the cam cover that requires replacement of the cover. After much reading, I decided to install the "Cruzekits" PCV fix to eliminate the internal PCV in the manifold and replace the cam cover. The other option is to replace the entire intake manifold that still uses the problematic internal PCV. All things considered, the R&R went fairly smooth and was very pleased with the condition of the internals at 153k miles. The biggest drawback is the 24 hour cure time of the epoxy to plug the PCV holes and had shipping delays thanks to the USPS. We have owned the car since new and used various synthetic 5w30 for the duration of the 100k powertrain warranty then switched to various 0w40 or 5w40, mostly PP euro and M1 snagged on clearance with rebates. The 1.4 uses a cartridge filter and Wix 57674 filters have been used thus far.

Top picture is the condition as found, bottom is after cleaning of the mating surfaces.
View attachment 88245View attachment 88246
Engine looks great!

Back