2011 BMW R1200R 5022mi VR1 Syn mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://i62.tinypic.com/a9pjsn.jpg

Last 3000mi run was on the dealers free BMW 10W-50 oil to "fix" my noisy engine caused by me using a "non-motorcycle" oil (their opinion).

This 5022mi run on my habitual 50/50 mix of Valvoline Syn VR1 10W/30 & 20W/50. I ran "my" oil 2000 more miles and got half the iron wear of the dealers oil.

I filled up with my bad mix once more. I think I am OK! [img:left]http://tinypic.com/m/ivcqap/3[/img] [img:left][/img] [img:left]
a9pjsn.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
I wonder what the dealer would have said is wrong had you not told them you were using "non-motorcycle" oil ? Maybe your bike is noisy on thin oil, motorcycle oil or not ?

Thanks for posting the UOA
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I wonder what the dealer would have said is wrong had you not told them you were using "non-motorcycle" oil ? Maybe your bike is noisy on thin oil, motorcycle oil or not ?

Thanks for posting the UOA
smile.gif

I was running 40W, dealer put in 50W, same noise on both. Noise was a loud ticking that happened suddenly at 17,000 miles. Not anywhere near an oil change. When first heard by dealer they said, "sounds bad..trailer bike to us". After 3 weeks trying to fix it they said, "that noise is normal". Still makes noise @ 25,000 but runs fine.

I should have lied about the oil I was (an am) using as it does meet mfg specifications.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of BMW R1200R ticking on Google
smirk.gif

Yes, mostly at idle. Mine was at all RPMs and dealer replaced camshaft tensioners and guides with no joy.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I had a 2009 R1200R, neat bike. Did yours use some oil for a while?

Mine did and most owners report early oil usage. My 20 to 25 thousand run dropped level maybe a 1/2 pint or so.

There seems to be a lot of BMW R1200R ticking on Google
smirk.gif

Yes indeed, they seem to be focusing on rocker end play, hydraulic cam chain tensioners, and push rods (which have been revised). Along with the valve clearance, the rocker end play is adjustable, I remember doing mine when I did my 1st service at 600 mi IIRC. There was no way the incompetent dealer in my area was going to touch my bike. They are out of business now. I loved how easy top end service was on that bike.

Last edited:
If you are talking about the water cooled, many of them have a tick where the idle gets too low and the compression release activates.

Air/oil cooled. They call them a can of rocks motor, all kinds of noises are normal. Some are naturally quieter, but all make noise

Clutch rattles, rocker arm rattle, cam chain noises. Thin castings and exposed engine. When you get to the second 100K you will learn to ignore it

Rod

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
If you are talking about the water cooled, many of them have a tick where the idle gets too low and the compression release activates.

Air/oil cooled. They call them a can of rocks motor, all kinds of noises are normal. Some are naturally quieter, but all make noise

Clutch rattles, rocker arm rattle, cam chain noises. Thin castings and exposed engine. When you get to the second 100K you will learn to ignore it

Rod

Rod

Not water cooled, noise not only at idle, dealer and techs said noise was "unusual" and "do not drive bike". but all this already stated in posts above.

Last edited:
I've just done a 50/50 mix on my two Honda XR650L bikes.

Rotella 5w40 and Rotella 15w40. I like this blend better than straight Rotella either way.

In my R1200GS oil head, I am currently running T5 10w30...and like that oil as well. It is a really robust HD oil. I will need to change the oil in about a month and will probably go to T6 5w40 for easier starting in the winter months.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I've just done a 50/50 mix on my two Honda XR650L bikes.

Rotella 5w40 and Rotella 15w40. I like this blend better than straight Rotella either way.

In my R1200GS oil head, I am currently running T5 10w30...and like that oil as well. It is a really robust HD oil. I will need to change the oil in about a month and will probably go to T6 5w40 for easier starting in the winter months.

I thought I was a scoundrel for running xW-40 oil in my 1200 as the 'crowd' (and my dealer) all push somethingW-50!
But a 30W? How is that working for you? I got a deal on Castrol Synthetic 5W-50 which I will try next year. Some warn me it will end up a 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back