2010 VW Jetta 2.5 vs 2010-2011 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
In 11 years I did manage to get by w/o VAG-COM. I did have it read a couple times by locals with it though, so as to get codes and reset lights. It's not cheap software but OTOH it does read everything on a VW, so it may be worthwhile to buy--perhaps after waiting for something to actually break, that is.

And for basic code reading and resets, that are cheaper alternatives out there. Torque, Carista, etc.

Indeed, I did use Torq a couple of times. It didn't pull the airbag code; but since I don't need airbags for inspection, it got addressed... well, never, as I just ignored it.
smile.gif
But I did need VCDS to figure out what airbag it was.

Consider spending a bit more and getting a 2014+ Jetta with the 1.8 TSI engine. Its eleventy billion times more fun than a 2.5 liter and better MPG.

VW resale value is worse then Honda so you can get more for your money.

I wouldn't worry about the Mexico thing too much. VW has an entire city dedicated to building vehicles. The factories are world class. German engineering, Cheap Labor and Nafta are giving us really high quality cars for cheap.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
You mostly hear how Honda is great and VW is horrible. The truth is that Hondas aren't that great and VWs aren't that horrible.

Have a 2010 Civic LX since new. Fourth set of of front pads and rotors now. 85K miles. They really know how to mess up brakes unfortunately. No other problems other than road noise (loud!) and the driver's door assembly creaks/squeaks/moans/moves since new but my wife just said stop placing your elbow there and there won't be a problem (glad it's not my car given the price we paid). The Civic is a price point vehicle. They cheaped out everywhere on the car which is unfortunate since it's only a few grand cheaper than a Accord. I'd recommend the Accord instead as they're known to provide Honda's good reputation.

Don't know much about VW other than the 96 GTI we had (lost relevancy at this point). Friend bought a new Golf 2016 and likes it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
You mostly hear how Honda is great and VW is horrible. The truth is that Hondas aren't that great and VWs aren't that horrible.

Have a 2010 Civic LX since new. Fourth set of of front pads and rotors now. 85K miles. They really know how to mess up brakes unfortunately. No other problems other than road noise (loud!) and the driver's door assembly creaks/squeaks/moans/moves since new but my wife just said stop placing your elbow there and there won't be a problem (glad it's not my car given the price we paid). The Civic is a price point vehicle. They cheaped out everywhere on the car which is unfortunate since it's only a few grand cheaper than a Accord. I'd recommend the Accord instead as they're known to provide Honda's good reputation.

Don't know much about VW other than the 96 GTI we had (lost relevancy at this point). Friend bought a new Golf 2016 and likes it.

Previous 2 Civic generations weren't that good, especially interior pieces they were so cheap compares with 2-3 generations before that. Accord was and is a better value than Civic, I would rather buy cheapest Accord than top of the line Civic.

I think most critics agree that 2016 Civic are better inside out than 2010-2015.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Previous 2 Civic generations weren't that good, especially interior pieces they were so cheap compares with 2-3 generations before that. Accord was and is a better value than Civic, I would rather buy cheapest Accord than top of the line Civic.

I think most critics agree that 2016 Civic are better inside out than 2010-2015.

Yep. Pretty sure the 11-15 was the last generation and mine was the 06-10. We ALMOST bought a 15 Civic LX for cheap when the 16's hit the sales floor. IMO, the 15 is refined compared to the 10 but still "cheap" feeling unlike an Accord.

My in-laws have a 2011 or 12 Jetta TDI with about 87k miles and as far as I'm aware they did not have any problems with the car yet. The interior does have a lot of hard plastic everywhere, where the prior generations had mostly soft touch materials. However, it is rattle free, the fit and finish is excellent. Just looking at it, you would not be able to tell that it is all hard plastic.
All in all, VW did cheapen out the Jetta as an answer to customer demands, but they did a very good job. The interior is still above average as far as fit and finish goes. The ride quality is also one of the better ones in the class, despite using a rear beam axle instead of independent suspension. It has the most room and trunk space and the new 1.8TSI puts out a nice delivery of power and torque while providing near the top fuel economy.
It is one of the better built and most comfortable vehicles in the segment IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back