2010 Traverse 3.6L DI 4,185 mi. Valvoline 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Originally Posted By: Al
But in your vehicle any oil would work.

Are you sure?
This is a DI engine- known for beating the snot out of Mobil 1....

Nice report. I wish our 2011 Acadia would get those results. No matter what oil I run in it, the oil is beat to death by 5k miles.

Currently have AC/Delco dexos1 5w-30 in it now, thanks to a dealer screw up and dumping my oil. At least it was a free oil change and tire rotation.

Ironically the AC/Delco Dexos oil is the weakest looking Dexos compliant oil I've seen posted here in UOA's.

I bet VWB would meet Dexos but they don't want to pay for it. I am not seeing any of the majors slap Dexos onto their hot selling lower priced conventional oils. Maxlife is Dexos certified though IIRC. Most offer some Dexos oil for a buck or two more, except maybe Mobil.

Rbarrios thanks for posting, every time you put one of these up I wonder why I am not running VWB in everything ha ha.

To be dexos1, so far no conventional oil is good enough. Maybe its the reduced wear required. Some extra performance measure in dexos1 seems to disqualify every convention oil out there. dexos1 really does add a bunch of extra performance tests on top of the basic SN-GF5 swill.

Synthetic-blends in about every major brand are good enough, and of course full synthetics pass with flying colors.

One thing about this BITOG world, most people are not on this forum to talk about "minimum" performance, we want the best possible. Therefore, plain conventional oil doesn't cut it.

This debate about whether VWB is good enough is interesting though. It reminds me of a lawsuit where Mercedes owners found out they were actually getting conventional SL oil in their expensive Mercedes from some dealerships trying to save cash. They sued, and I seem to remember some engines suffered. Take into account the long OCIs, and that might have doomed a few engines. Usually engines do "OK" on conventional, even semi-exotics like Mercedes.

I was never a vwb guy till about 10 years a go a shop I went to have work heavy work done or a quick fast turn around use vwb everything thing they maintain was spot less inside .Impo no oil shows better wear numbers on here than vwb and max life in conventional oil just my 2 cents

Originally Posted By: mulehead
I was never a vwb guy till about 10 years a go a shop I went to have work heavy work done or a quick fast turn around use vwb everything thing they maintain was spot less inside .Impo no oil shows better wear numbers on here than vwb and max life in conventional oil just my 2 cents

Ya know, you're right! VWB, for the lack of anything special in a VOA, shows quite good in their UOA's.

The VWB in a VOA only looks "ordinary" but seems to give some "extraordinary" UOA's!
smile.gif
I have three 5 qt jugs of VWB 5W30 in my stash to use next. I will feel confident using it for 5K mile OCI's.

Reports like these are why I bought a stash of VWB. In engines that are historically harsh on supposed "better" oils it consistently returns excellent results. This is another example.

You know-- we had no issues at the border.

In fact- I was amazed.

We crossed a bridge- and crossed the border----
NO CARS entering along with us....

I actually told my wife... UMMMM--- why is it so empty?
I then asked the customs agent-- where do I get the tourist permit.
She said- right here- pointing at a building.
We go to park.... parking lot EMPTY!

In my head--- W T F ???????
I go inside--- empty. I ask the lady--- Wheres everyone?
At that moment- 1 other truck pulls up and that vehicle gets inspected- where they had to unload stuff...

The lady inside said- wait 1 more week... then well be busy with the holiday rush.

But I was in awe.... empty.
THe last time we took the Pacific Coast route- entered thru Nogales...
and it was PACKED...but it was around Dec 20.

I did have receipts for all that stuff-- in case we did have to pay import fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back