2010 toyota yaris oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't have the owners manual for a recently purchased 2010 Yaris with 40K miles. Looking for oil type recommendation and oil change interval. Service light just came on and I have no idea the mileage it is set for.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Use a high quality 5w30 and it will need to be changed every 5k miles according to book.

I'll add that I would use a good quality conventional oil instead of a synthetic if you are going to change it at 5k.

Peak, PYB, VWB, QSGB etc.

Not to muddy the water, but I see other posts where you have other Toyotae vehicles. The Yaris can use 5w-20 and 0w-20 also. If you are under warranty, stay with the 5w-30

I have run 5w-20 in my Echo for many years.

Last edited:
I just realized Toyota shortened the OCI for the newer 1NZ motors.

They only specify 5000 miles now.

The older 1NZ in the ECHO states 5000/7500 OCI (severe and normal)

Quote:

The older 1NZ in the ECHO states 5000/7500 OCI (severe and normal)

??

7,500 is news to me. Is that for your '02?

edit:wow, just checked and the normal interval is 7.5K; I NEVER knew that, and i've had the car 11 years....

Last edited:
I would be using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or TGMO 0w20. Your engine will run great on the full synthetic 0w20 and has been back spec'd to do so on all Yaris model years.

Thanks for the info. I have been using WalMart Super Tech full synthetic in my 08 Higlander and 12 Camry as synthetic was required. Though the same would for the Yaris.

I own a 2010 Toyota Yaris, bought it new in January 2010. It currently has 32,015 miles.

I use Mobil 1 5W30. Seems to have been a really good choice. I think any good synthetic 5W30 will work well in this vehicle.

Last edited:
I am aware that Toyota back-spec'd this engine to run 20-weight, but personally I would never use less than a 30-weight in them.

The small Toyota 1.5 works hard, and some do have an issue with burning oil from harder revving.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I am aware that Toyota back-spec'd this engine to run 20-weight, but personally I would never use less than a 30-weight in them.

The small Toyota 1.5 works hard, and some do have an issue with burning oil from harder revving.

+1. I have Toyota engines that fall under that politically CAFE-driven back spec'ing and I am not a buyer.

Last edited:
Well, I have run 5W-20 in my 1MZ-FE for over 200,000 miles now, and 0W-20 in my 1NZ-FE for over 150,000. You don't think I will experience reduced longevity, do you?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well, I have run 5W-20 in my 1MZ-FE for over 200,000 miles now, and 0W-20 in my 1NZ-FE for over 150,000. You don't think I will experience reduced longevity, do you?

I doubt that you will run into any problems at all.

I run 5W30 Mobil 1 in my 2010 Yaris but the only reason I don't switch to 0W20 is because it started with 5W30 and in my mind I want to stay with what has been in the motor.

I have nothing against 0W20, I use it in both my 2012 Honda Civic and my 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I expect both of these cars to live a long time

I agree that a 20 weight would be fine.

However, I am starting to re-think whether these engines have been "back-spec'd" or not.

The 2015 Yaris owners manual says NOTHING about a 20 weight oil. It's all 5w-30 and 10w-30.

If Toyota came to the realization that 20 weight oil was recommend for this motor in 2006, it would be reflected in all subsequent printed material from that point forward.

Still no mention about 20 weight oil.

The Yaris has remained 5w-30 and 6 month/5000 mile intervals. I would stick with 5w-30 as that is what is still specified for the Yaris up thru 2015 models. I owned a 2008 and always used 5k OCI's with group III synthetics.

Once you are out of Warranty I do not think it would hurt to use an Extended Performance Oil and Filter and run 1 year/10k intervals.

I now have a 2009 Scion xD that is just leaving warranty (hit 60 months before 60k). Using group III synthetics I have always changed at 5k but the next change I am switching over to Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter which should limit oil changes to once a year for me (driven less than 10k per year).

Hey guys ,this is my first post ever on BITOG .Only reason a 20 oil was recommended for yaris is because if you have a sedan model they are heavier than hatches.Therefore to help meet their CAFE requirements they specd a 20.Absolute best oil as far as i'm concerned is 0w30 with a synthetic oil filter,change it once a year.I use Amsoil SS.then you're good to go.I've only got 15,000 miles.Don't even worry about my warranty.2012 sedan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back