2010 Toyota Venza 4Cyl - First Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - So my dad has just hit 8000 KM and as per the dealer and the owner's manual it's time for an oil change. (I inquired and they told both of us that OEM fill is a very special oil and not to drain it before 8000KM - since i wanted to do it at 3000KM to get rid of the broken in steel particles)

He likes to go to is private mechanic and wants to keep going there, i know that we need to save receipts and log down mileage in the back of the manual to keep the warranty people happy.

Question, is it worth it to go Synthetic ? for only 8000 KM ? the manual says 5W-20 or 0W-20 (with emphasis on 0W-20 for winters)for the 4Cyl model. i am thinking dyno until he gets out of warranty in 4-5 years...

If I were in Canada, winter coming up, I personally would go synthetic; Here down under, dino or semi synthetic.

Originally Posted By: andrei3333
Question, is it worth it to go Synthetic ? for only 8000 KM ? the manual says 5W-20 or 0W-20 (with emphasis on 0W-20 for winters)for the 4Cyl model. i am thinking dyno until he gets out of warranty in 4-5 years...

What are his driving habits like? Is it always outside, or is it in a garage (heated or otherwise)? Plugged in? Short trips or long trips? If you guys go with the 0w-20, you're pretty much stuck with synthetic.

This is a super easy choice, go with Toyota's 0w20 here, it's only $5.65 per liter at Toyota dealers and it's a great oil! At that price even if he changes it every 8000km it won't cost a fortune, as that price is the same as the average conventional oil up here anyhow.

I would say 0w20 toyota sythetic and change it per the manual...otherwise 5w20 DINO would be just fine too the winters wont be that harsh on a 5w20

He usually takes short trips to work and back, the car is inside a basement garage that is heated in a building. but it stands outside while he is at work.

so by Toyota recommending 0W-20 in the winter they are basically saying synthetic. i see.

it makes no sense to buy regular prices synthetic from the toyota dealer. when i can find something on sale,. ill find out how much the dealer charges for an oil change cause we need their filter anyways.

If it's your first OCI then it must be still under warranty. I'd find out what other synthetic oils they offer from your dealership. When I had my Camry the dealership used Mobil 1 as an synthetic alternate. Don't do anything that will under-mine your own warranty.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Patman
This is a super easy choice, go with Toyota's 0w20 here, it's only $5.65 per liter at Toyota dealers and it's a great oil! At that price even if he changes it every 8000km it won't cost a fortune, as that price is the same as the average conventional oil up here anyhow.

Patman's right.
It makes no economic sense to use anything else.
What's the alternative, a 5W-20 dino, and how much are you going to save; next to nothing. The improved fuel economy will more than make up the difference with the superior 0W-20 lubricant.

The only sensible option is another Japanese 0W-20 such as the Honda Brand 0W-20 which may be slightly cheaper but we're splitting hairs.

Hello - So my dad has just hit 8000 KM and as per the dealer and the owner's manual it's time for an oil change.

I see it took almost a year to hit 8000km. What does the manual say about time? Every 6 months or every 12 months?

6 months, he puts on low miles

If so, the OP waited too long for the first oil change and synthetic oil is a waste every 6 months with low miles.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
6 months, he puts on low miles

If so, the OP waited too long for the first oil change and synthetic oil is a waste every 6 months with low miles.

I for one don't know what you're recommending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back