2010 Toyota FJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toyota FJ as my daily driver. I'm the second owner and have been using the Castrol Edge 0w-20. I noticed Castrol also makes a 0w-20 gtx now. I have always used gtx in everything I didn't have to use full synthetic in with stellar results. I know on paper the edge is suppose to be better but, being that I put quite a few miles on my ride I don't see any problem using gtx as I change 3-4k with the Toyota oil filter. Do you think the Castrol full syn is really that much better than the conventional oil in this application? I could understand if I had it with a blower,nitrous and 35s on it but, I don't turn more than 2000 rpm going down the highway so I'm not really pushing the engine all that hard. Not saying synthetic is bad but, I just don't see the increased costs for the same interval and longevity of any component. I have had two other vehicles in the past that went well over 200k on dino and still were good when sold.

FB_IMG_1581857902930.jpg

Last edited:
There are not 0w-20 conventional motor oils. The Castrol GTX is likely a blend. Most SN+ rated conventional oils are blends nowadays even if they don't say it.
At 3-4K OCI (extreme conservative) when I'm sure the manual calls for 10K OCIs you could used the cheapest 0W20 you can find and the engine will go a million miles.
There is nothing magical about GTX. There are a few million mile toyotas and none of the owners said only this brand of oil could be used to make it this far. Thet just performed regular maintenance with approved oil.

If you are putting highway miles on it and changing that frequently (5K should be the shortest really) I would find a good promotion on Penzoil, QSUD, or Mobil 1 and load up at less than $10/ 5QT jug. Cheaper than conventional and better oil to boot. The new oil specifications coming out will cause a few clearances at Autozone and Advance Auto where you can pick up cheap. M1 frequently has $12 rebate / 5qt jug while walmart has it on rollback at $22. There was just a pricing anomaly at walmart (sometimes mirrored at Amazon) where people got 6 5qt jugs for $25. Plenty of deals.

I'm not a hoarder, but when a steller deal shows up I get 2 years worth of oil changes and never let my stash go higher than three years worth (6 jugs) Made me cry when the M1 deal showed up just after I had just hit my 6 jug limit with some Penzoil Ultra for $22 with a $22 rebate (free). Had to let it pass by and now seeing folks that got it showing off.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
There are not 0w-20 conventional motor oils. The Castrol GTX is likely a blend. Most SN+ rated conventional oils are blends nowadays even if they don't say it.
At 3-4K OCI (extreme conservative) when I'm sure the manual calls for 10K OCIs you could used the cheapest 0W20 you can find and the engine will go a million miles.
There is nothing magical about GTX. There are a few million mile toyotas and none of the owners said only this brand of oil could be used to make it this far. Thet just performed regular maintenance with approved oil.

If you are putting highway miles on it and changing that frequently (5K should be the shortest really) I would find a good promotion on Penzoil, QSUD, or Mobil 1 and load up at less than $10/ 5QT jug. Cheaper than conventional and better oil to boot. The new oil specifications coming out will cause a few clearances at Autozone and Advance Auto where you can pick up cheap. M1 frequently has $12 rebate / 5qt jug while walmart has it on rollback at $22. There was just a pricing anomaly at walmart (sometimes mirrored at Amazon) where people got 6 5qt jugs for $25. Plenty of deals.

I'm not a hoarder, but when a steller deal shows up I get 2 years worth of oil changes and never let my stash go higher than three years worth (6 jugs) Made me cry when the M1 deal showed up just after I had just hit my 6 jug limit with some Penzoil Ultra for $22 with a $22 rebate (free). Had to let it pass by and now seeing folks that got it showing off.
smile.gif

If you have the time to post this question to begin with and are clearly wandering around pondering or reading what type of oil to use then you have the time to find yourself some of these deals and get the best oil sold for almost zero cost. I currently have 13 fully sythetic 5 qrt jugs in my garage "purchased" only over the past 3 months on various deals listed here. I did not take advantage of every one listed just the ones I could get with minimal upfront cost or get delivered to me. If the issue is that you do not DIY oil changes, time to spend some effort either figuring that out or finding an independent shop that will let you walk your own oil in.

Magnatec 0W-20 is good oil. Whatever is cheap is good as long as it it API SN+.

I would not worry about or even consider Walmart pricing mistakes which are exploits, not a "good deal". It was clearly a mistake or they would not have cancelled most of those orders.

Hoarding is a sign of mental illness and to me, is false economy too. There will always be an oil deal cheaper than today's so only buy what you need. We are in a glut of oil and the trend on prices is down. Meanwhile you are tying up your wallet and shelf space in your garage, for what? I never heard anyone with this compulsion explain it.

I say the opposite, wait for deals until right before you need to change oil, there are deals posted daily.

There was a guy on here recently who had in his signature that he had a 'stash' of over 450 quarts of oil.

Thanks. I might go with the Magnetic GTX. I like the heavy dose of magnesium over some of the others who are using the sodium. I know you could probably use anything in a Toyota especially the 1GRFE but, I really like the Castrol GTX or Syntec I guess it's Edge now lol. I was just looking to save a little bit with going the white bottle being I rack up the miles and change more often. Wasn't really seeing the reason to use a full syn especially since I take 6.5 qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back