2010 Toyota corolla oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just bought a 2010 Toyota corolla, My 2011 yaris was struck in the rear and totaled Monday
frown.gif
. Anyways the 1.8l engine has stamped on its fill cap 0w-20 or 5w-20 Will I notice any if at all performance (gas mileage) between the two? also Is there any benefit to running one over the other? does 5w-20 protect any better than 0 weight oil?

Thanks
Sean

P.S. My stepdad has a 2010 Toyota Camry and it says only 0w-20 does anyone know if 5w-20 can be used in that car or not?

I was switching back and forth between 5W-20 (PP) and 0W-20 (TGMO) in my (ex-wife's) 2010 Corolla. TGMO is probably the better oil, but I was getting PP for $4 a quart vs. $6-7 for TGMO.

I can't say I really noticed a mileage difference, but I didn't drive it that often and when I did, it was a 52 mile round trip commute in the Texas summer - so cold starts played virtually no part. For short trips I'd wager the 0W-20 would yield better mileage, marginally.

Cost aside, I'd probably give the edge to 0W-20 as the better oil. Will it protect the engine any better? In winter-probably. In summer-probably doesn't matter.

The 0w would probably be of better base stocks and thus the better oil, however the PU 5w20 is top notch. Ow oils are all about CAFE and may yield the better MPG.

Last edited:
Between both oils the 0w should protect better at start up than a 5w but if both are high quality you aren't likely to even detect a difference in wear in our climate. I would use 0w20 if I could get it for the right price but pp 5w20 would work fine at half the price as some places charge for Toyota 0w20.

Gas mileage variations between the two should also be undetectable and will vary much more with driving style.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
Hey guys I just bought a 2010 Toyota corolla, My 2011 yaris was struck in the rear and totaled Monday
frown.gif
. Anyways the 1.8l engine has stamped on its fill cap 0w-20 or 5w-20 Will I notice any if at all performance (gas mileage) between the two? also Is there any benefit to running one over the other? does 5w-20 protect any better than 0 weight oil?

Thanks
Sean

P.S. My stepdad has a 2010 Toyota Camry and it says only 0w-20 does anyone know if 5w-20 can be used in that car or not?

Does 5-20 protect better than 0-20??? This is a question for the ages which may never be answered. I guess it's just unknowable.

Ok guys thanks for the input. Ive come to the conclusion that im going to use 0w-20 only place I can find 0 weight oil local is walmart in mobil1. Ive always been a Pennzoil guy. But I did some research. Seems to me like the differences between Mobil and Pennzoil are almost null for the daily driver like myself. Anyone have any further input on this matter? Seems like all the threads on Mobil vs Pennzoil ive read everyone has the same consensus. Im a Pennzoil guy I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobil and vice versa.

P.S. you know your an oil guy when 4 days after your accident your thinking about oil for the new car LOLOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back