2010 Toyota Camry 90k miles oil recommendation - Valvoline vs Mobil1 vs Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed up to the forum, so please do let me know if I did something wrong in making this post here. I have been using this forum without creating an account for a few years now. I have a 2010 Toyota Camry v4 Gas engine with the following attributes:
- 90k miles
- Roughly 10k miles a year
- Location: washington state. I live 10 miles from the ocean. They don't salt the roads often (maybe twice a year). Temperatures rarely dip below 25 during the winter lows. It's above freezing at most times of the year.
- Usage pattern: Lots of city driving and city commuting, so lots of stop-and-go driving
- Oil Change history: Manufacturer recommendation is 0w-20 ever 10k miles. I have been doing 0w-20 every 10k miles (a couple of times I might have gone to 11k miles but probably never exceeded that duration).

I have always used Mobil 1 (120758) Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20 (Advanced Fuel Economy) to get my oil changes since that is what the forum members recommend as a good oil for average driving patterns. I bring my own oil. Specifically, this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J00X5YO

However, now that I am past 75k miles, my dealership recommended that I switch to a high mileage "older vehicle" oil. I am considering the Mobil 1 high mileage oil ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-High-Mileage-Motor-Oil-0W-20-5-qt/55502866 ).

I have always been able to find a good deal on the Mobil1 I mentioned (around $26 for 5 quarts). However, I frequently see Castrol or Valvoline on sale for cheaper than that ($18 or so). Is it worth switching to those brands or should I stick to what has been working for me for years? If I see a great deal on Castrol or Valvoline 0w-20 for full synthetic, should I snap it up? I use the dealer recommended filter and let them install it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
In that application, I'd be using Mobil1 Extended Performance High Mileage 0w20 from walmart. And then get the excellent Fram Ultra oil filter, the best 4548-12 performance out there (efficiency, robustness).
I like the extra PAO in the Mobil1 Extended Performance, and the High Mileage variation here has extra seal conditioners to help prevent future oil leaks. You can't lose with that one.
My 2nd choice would be Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 0w20 at walmart as their formulations have added titanium friction modifiers, so thats a good choice too.
You could choose about any 0w20 High Mileage oil you see, but those two oils have great companies behind them and have something in them which proves they are using premium ingredients.

Welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't go with high mileage oil, at 90k the engine has just gotten broken in, keep doing what you been doing and don't sweat a thing.
Just my 2cent.

I would stick with what has been working. You don't need HM oil because your car has 90k on it. If there are no weeps or consumption then stay the course.

Personally I would go with the high mileage. 90k miles isn't a lot to me but if it's gone 10k miles every oil change interval for stop and go city driving it's whole life, it's probably got some wear despite using good oil. City and highway driving are completely different.

I'm sure lots will disagree with me but that's my opinion after draining oil out of lots of cars for a year while I worked in an express lube.

Even an amsoil dealer who brought his Tundra and own amsoil for us to change every 8-10k miles or so had extremely dirty oil and signs of sludge buildup in his truck and he admitted he had gone too far on the oil change and that you can't go as long as amsoil recommends.

The regimen you're on right now is perfect. That AFE is a great oil. You can use the high mileage oil later on down the road. I would make the switch at roughly 120-125k. For now you're golden. JMO. * Welcome to Bitog *

Agreed, I would continued to use AFE. You can often find it at walmart for $22 and use the $12 rebate to get if for $10.
My toyotas in Texas have over 100K miles on them and they don't leak a drop. I use whatever oil I can get the best deal on and stock up.
Pennzoil and M1 are the current rebate kings. An occational clearange sale on Quaker State or other oil will also get my attention.

I only stock up on about 3-4 oil changes max. Thats about 2 years and I don't want the oil sitting around and taking up space in my garage longer than that.

I use OEM toyota filters I find on Ebay or Amazon for about $4-5 / filter in lots of 5.

The engine is barely broke in. I've never understood high mileage oils unless your engine leaks oil in the first place.

welcome2.gif

Any full synthetic will be fine for the OCI you use. In fact, 10k/1 year is what Toyota says to do with synthetic
thumbsup2.gif

The ones on sale will be fine. The AFE you've been using is fine. Toyota isn't picky
smile.gif

Originally Posted by hatt
The engine is barely broke in. I've never understood high mileage oils unless your engine leaks oil in the first place.
Prevents future possible leaks. Preventative. Kind of like eating kale now in order to prevent obesity in the future.

Actually one could put in a half dose of LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver into a non-HM oil, which contains mostly seal conditioners, the additional main ingredient enhancement High Mileage oils have.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by hatt
Prevents future possible leaks. Preventative. Kind of like eating kale now in order to prevent obesity in the future.

Actually one could put in a half dose of LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver into a non-HM oil, which contains mostly seal conditioners, the additional main ingredient enhancement High Mileage oils have.
I'm not seeing how seal swellers are going to protect seals. Sounds like they would wear faster.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would stick with what has been working. You don't need HM oil because your car has 90k on it. If there are no weeps or consumption then stay the course.

^^^^^

I agree..

My Nissan Altima VQ didn't start to develop a seep from the valve cover until after 215k miles... So I started using HM oils. Which have worked very well in stopping that. I am pleased with that result.

Last edited:
I've been using M1 0-20 for years at 10K OCI's in my 2007 Ford Fusion. Sounds like you have no need for a HM oil.

Last edited:
Id stick to M1 0w20 AFE. I have not switched to HM yet and im at 160k miles on my Corolla. I plan to use 0w30 M1 this winter since my car recommends 5w30, but ive used all oils..5w20, 5w30, 0w20, 0w40 and 5w50. I wouldnt use 5w50 due to poor fuel consumption but the rest were flawless. Id wait til you have consumption issues before going to HM..at least thats my plan. My engine seems to run quietest on Pennz Ultra followed by M1. I suggest you stick with what you been using, great oil and perfect for a once a year OCI.
smile.gif
Welcome btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back