2010 Subaru 5w-30 M1 + MoS2 9088mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second sampling for my 2010 Subaru Forester with the N/A 2.5L engine. The oil was 5w-30 Mobil 1 (SN) + 1/2 bottle of MoS2, Fram Ultra filter, and Fram air filter. Miles on the oil was 9088 miles and 58999 miles on the Forester total. The Forester is driven by my wife and sees trips daily of 25 miles always getting up to temperature, no short trips. Driving is pretty easy but is 50/50 city/interstate with some rush hour traffic here is Portland, OR. The Forester has been a great SUV. I added the MoS2 just to see if there would be any change or improvement on fuel economy. I didn't notice anything increase in MPG so probably will not continue using it. But it didn't cause any issues. I cut open the Fram Ultra and there was no trace of the MoS2 in the filter (pictures posted recently).

The UOA looks good to me. I will extend out to 10k miles which will be just at 1 year OCI next time and resample. Oil was changed and again used M1 5w-30 and Fram Ultra.

Code:

DATE SAMPLED 19-Oct-14 20-Dec-13

Miles on OCI 9088 6100

Miles on unit 58999 49911

Make up oil: none none

Metals (ppm) (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 7 4

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 10 7

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 8 3

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti) 12 87

Vanadium (V)

Contaminants (ppm) (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 14 8

Sodium (Na) 8
Potassium (K)
Water (%)
Coolant No No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 579 14

Calcium (Ca) 1187 2330

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 661 702

Zinc (Zn) 769 799

Molybdenum (Mo) 170 35

Boron (B) 31 54

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.1 9.4

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 2.6 2.2

Here is what the lab said:

All wear rates are normal. Abrasive and other contaminant levels are acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range.

This is ALS labs in Portland, OR. These are the NAPA UOA kits. The viscosity barely changed at all which is amazing. (from 10.4 to 10.1) I'm really happy with this run.

Originally Posted By: webfors
The ej25 is the darling of Subaru UOA's.

I love mine.

Nice report!

Yea..for sure. Too bad they are cursed with leaking HG's. I had mine done earlier this year (08 Forester w 135K miles)) and after a 3K mile OCI I am changing today. I'll be posting a 10K mile oil change hopefully next week.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: webfors
The ej25 is the darling of Subaru UOA's.

I love mine.

Nice report!

Yea..for sure. Too bad they are cursed with leaking HG's. I had mine done earlier this year (08 Forester w 135K miles)) and after a 3K mile OCI I am changing today. I'll be posting a 10K mile oil change hopefully next week.

I had mine done this fall with almost 100k miles on the clock. It was premature and preventative. But since it needed a new release bearing and timing belt I figured I might as well get the HG's done at the same time and save loads on labor. She purrs like a kitten again
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I added the MoS2 just to see if there would be any change or improvement on fuel economy. I didn't notice anything increase in MPG so probably will not continue using it.

Hm-m-m... Technically speaking, MoS2 is not supposed to increase fuel economy. Of course, you can use a microscope for hitting nails, but...
wink.gif

BTW: if you want to add something in the oil, try friction modifiers. This is disputable, but could work. Ceratec, for example.
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 does not reccomend any additives to be added to their oil. As a very long time user of M1 oils, nothing else is needed.

Pure marketing, IMO.
They could not accept that they produce not a perfect oil. Using additives means that they missed something. Liqui Moly produces a lot of additives (MoS2, Ceratec) and see no shame in this. I am not sure that engineers in ExxonMobil are THAT smarter than Germans in LM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back