2010 Scion XD, Delvac 15W-40, 14.8K OCI

This oil sampling had LubeGard LXE in it. The one before did not. Only real difference I could see was the Molybdenum and TBN was a bit higher. So, LubeGard LXE really did not do much to help. I expected as much but I spent my $12 and learned for certain. My present fill is conventional Delo 15W40. Lots of Chevron literature says that their conventional Delo with "ISOSYN" is as good or better than it's synthetic blend competitors. We shall see. I will leave it in for 15,000 miles and report back to you folks in about 7 months. Happy Thanksgiving to all

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_161634748.jpg
    IMG_20221122_161634748.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 310
This oil sampling had LubeGard LXE in it. The one before did not. Only real difference I could see was the Molybdenum and TBN was a bit higher. So, LubeGard LXE really did not do much to help. I expected as much but I spent my $12 and learned for certain. My present fill is conventional Delo 15W40. Lots of Chevron literature says that their conventional Delo with "ISOSYN" is as good or better than it's synthetic blend competitors. We shall see. I will leave it in for 15,000 miles and report back to you folks in about 7 months. Happy Thanksgiving to all

Nice report. Did you leave the filter on?

Thank You sir

I will leave it in for 15,000 miles and report back to you folks in about 7 months. Happy Thanksgiving to all

I’m guessing you do plenty of highway driving with this thing? Engine sure looks happy. How’s the rest of the car holding up?

I’m guessing you do plenty of highway driving with this thing? Engine sure looks happy. How’s the rest of the car holding up?
70 percent interstate commuting, 85 miles round trip per day. 5 speed manual. Very impressive econobox. 32 mpg highway with ethanol. I get 35-36 mpg with non-ethanol 87 octane fuel. Quick little car. I installed a TRD rear sway bar and it handles like a slot car. Very impressive build quality on a car that cost $15K when new back in 2010.

Very impressive build quality on a car that cost $15K when new back in 2010.
These "small" Toyota hatchbacks (Matrix/Scion/Vibe) with the base 1.8L are great cars. Bulletproof engines. Last forever with maintenance. With rear seats folded they turn into pick-up trucks. Wish I had a time machine, would spend that $15k on a new one in a heartbeat.
Around this age and miles it's typical for the timing cover gasket to harden and start leaking. Had to do the job on both my cars. Manual box should last a long time, too. Have you ever changed the tranny oil? My buddy's xB had 257k on the odo when a bearing failed in his 5sp. He rebuilt it. Oil was likely original.

These "small" Toyota hatchbacks (Matrix/Scion/Vibe) with the base 1.8L are great cars. Bulletproof engines. Last forever with maintenance. With rear seats folded they turn into pick-up trucks. Wish I had a time machine, would spend that $15k on a new one in a heartbeat.
Around this age and miles it's typical for the timing cover gasket to harden and start leaking. Had to do the job on both my cars. Manual box should last a long time, too. Have you ever changed the tranny oil? My buddy's xB had 257k on the odo when a bearing failed in his 5sp. He rebuilt it. Oil was likely original.
Had the tranny lube changed at 120K miles.

I find it interesting no one has commented on how it's going to blow up or be ruined, destroyed by using the wrong grade of oil.. cold start flow..Bla,bla,bla.
Maybe "they" have been keeping up with my long OCI antics that I started with my 2010 Ford Focus and continue now with my Scion and see that to argue such is fruitless.

I don't usually follow the rules either, like you it's served me pretty well most of my life.

I’m following stumpy. Not all of us live in the nice warm weather south though. I have some Fram 10w30 and Providence all fleet SN rated 10w30 I may use in my old Focus.

Lubegard is pretty thin and a pint should've thin the visc. I wonder why ending visc higher compared to previous run without it, if all else is equal and accurate. Maybe cleaned and suspended some crud?

I'd doubt that you'd see the benefits of Lubegard with a simple UOA. Might need some oxidation/nitration and even particle counts to see a benefit along with visual looksy long term usage vs non usage. No mpg improvement with a
Engine seems to do well with that thick oil.

Have you considered the overly thin 5w40's or 3.5+ HTHS 30 grades for that 1.8?

I guess the thin oil crowd is afraid to look at this thread. My oil cap says 5w20 and I alternate among 3.5+ HTHS 30 and 40 grade synthetic oils. I could use conventional in my climate but splurge unnecessarily on synth oils.

I know that a couple Delo's meet Ford's Powerstroke requirement and others don't. You'll know more at your next UOA. Did you use Delo XDE or XSP or ???

BTW, the majority of wear is in the filter. And, a pessimist would say that your aluminum increased by a scary 50%. 😉😉

Lubegard is pretty thin and a pint should've thin the visc. I wonder why ending visc higher compared to previous run without it, if all else is equal and accurate. Maybe cleaned and suspended some crud?

I'd doubt that you'd see the benefits of Lubegard with a simple UOA. Might need some oxidation/nitration and even particle counts to see a benefit along with visual looksy long term usage vs non usage. No mpg improvement with a
Engine seems to do well with that thick oil.

Have you considered the overly thin 5w40's or 3.5+ HTHS 30 grades for that 1.8?

I guess the thin oil crowd is afraid to look at this thread. My oil cap says 5w20 and I alternate among 3.5+ HTHS 30 and 40 grade synthetic oils. I could use conventional in my climate but splurge unnecessarily on synth oils.

I know that a couple Delo's meet Ford's Powerstroke requirement and others don't. You'll know more at your next UOA. Did you use Delo XDE or XSP or ???

BTW, the majority of wear is in the filter. And, a pessimist would say that your aluminum increased by a scary 50%. 😉😉
I refilled with the conventional Delo SDE. I found some Chevron tech publications where they were saying that their conventional ISOSYN was equal or better than the competitions syn blends. The run following this one, I will try the "synthetic technology" aka syn blend/XLE and then the full synthetic Delo XSP afterwards. My goal is to compare the conventional and blends at 15K. My ultimate goal is push as many SN rated 15W-40's as far as is possible. I'm thinking 18-20K miles. I did a run of T6 Rotella 15w40 a couple years ago to 22K miles in my Ford Focus and it was wore slap the hell out! You can find it in the archives.

Back