2010 Legacy/Outback decent mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could get 30-31 mpg on the hwy in my old A4 1.8TQ... that was almost 10 years ago, but I'm guessing the new Legacy is heavier, so it's a pretty good result.

Hope that cvt will hold up for the long run. I'm not in the market though, I have an '86 GL I have to try to wear out first! It gets me in the low 30's for mileage as well.

While the MPG is not bad, Sorry NO CVT for me...

Even if it was behind the Turbo Diesel.
frown.gif

I liked the last gen legacy, but fuel mileage did scare me away. That and size. Looks like Subaru has my number. I hope they don't torch my car.

Must be all the love they are packing into those new Subarus. After all, love is what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

And no, I don't understand Subaru's new marketing campaign of love, at least they have something else to stand on now over the old loveless designs.

Clark

My 2000 Forester was the best and most loved of all the cars ivied owned. Typically got ~ 28 mpg Highway until I sold it with 176,000 miles and never had any major part fail. Lot of cars got better mileage but, not the safety of the full-time four wheel drive. Many people don't figure that one major part failure after the warranty wipes out many many of the extra 2-3 MPG advantage. The bottom line is figuring the total car cost over the normal life (in my case 125,00 + miles or 10 years)

Ed,

Why would you need the "Safety" of all-wheel drive in Florida.

You mean to tell me rain will make you crash without AWD. You must not be in control of your right foot.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I could get 30-31 mpg on the hwy in my old A4 1.8TQ... that was almost 10 years ago, but I'm guessing the new Legacy is heavier, so it's a pretty good result.

I believe the new car is size of your current BMW and more a Audi A6 size vehicle. The previous version (mine) is more on par with an Audi A4.

Nice to have a choice of efficient AWD as no one offers it. It even bests their own smaller Impreza.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My 2000 Forester was the best and most loved of all the cars ivied owned. Typically got ~ 28 mpg Highway until I sold it with 176,000 miles and never had any major part fail. Lot of cars got better mileage but, not the safety of the full-time four wheel drive. Many people don't figure that one major part failure after the warranty wipes out many many of the extra 2-3 MPG advantage. The bottom line is figuring the total car cost over the normal life (in my case 125,00 + miles or 10 years)

Well, how about the expense of AWD, my friends have a forester that is now 2WD... Something messed up in the centre dif so the service guy just pulled a fuse and now its running just with the front tires being driven. They use snows and haven't really missed the "safety" of AWD too much at all.
I would never buy a subaru expecting to save money on repairs, they are pretty good, but the extra stuff under there all needs to be maintained and does fail from time to time.

FWD = best for economy

RWD = best for sports cars / race cars / drivers cars

AWD = worst for ecconomy / MPG / cost / HP loss
best for not getting stuck / forward bite

All designs are safe when operated below the limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back