2010 KAWASAKI | ROT T-6 5W-40 SM | 750CC | 10 HRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is the 3rd UOA (and may be the last) for my Brute Force 750 ATV. These engines are oil shredders, but the Rotella T-6 held up VERY nicely. I refilled with QS Defy 10W-40, but I will return to T-6 after I have used all of the Defy from the Amazon deal and will double the OCI (depending on riding conditions and heat as these engines run excessively hot--but I have a Derale oil cooler to install soon).

Blackstone comments below and thoughts are always welcome:

Most of the wear metals improved again in this sample from your Kawasaki. The engine has made it through the wear-in process with flying colors and should start developing some nice wear patterns from here. Low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration. You're concerned about fuel dilution and shearing, but the flashpoint was high enough to show no measurable fuel and the viscosity right on the mark for 5W/40. The TBN was strong at 8.8 so there's still a lot of active additive left. All is well at 27 total hours.

Code:
Year: 2010 Make: Kawasaki Model: KVF-750 Brute Force Engine: 750cc V-Twin

Date: 08/03/12 11/22/11 05/01/11

Oil Brand/Type: Rotella T6 KAWA KAWA

Oil Viscosity: 5W-40 10W-40 10W-40

API Service: SM SM SM

Oil Filter: KAWA OEM KAWA OEM KAWA OEM

Air Filter: PureOne PureOne KAWA OEM

Lab: BLKST BLKST BLKST

ATV Hours: 27 17 10

Oil Hours: 10 7 10

Aluminum: 2 2 9

Chromium 0 0 1

Iron: 6 8 46

Copper: 8 21 150

Lead: 3 10 26

Tin: 0 0 0

Molybdenum: 63 44 40

Nickel: 0 0 1

Manganese: 0 1 4

Silver: 1 0 0

Titanium: 0 0 0

Potassium: 3 3 3

Boron: 67 78 3

Silicon: 21 15 57

Sodium: 6 2 10

Calcium: 996 1712 1510

Magnesium: 1071 10 35

Phosphorus: 1051 827 853

Zinc: 1248 916 941

Barium: 0 2 14

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 68.8 68.0 55.5

cSt Visc. @ 100°C 12.63 12.42 8.93

Flashpoint in °F 400 400 380

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.0 0.0 0.4

TBN 8.8 -- 3.1

wow you had 5w50 stay in grade!!! on 10 hrs use!!!

um, that's pretty easy on the oil.
when i tested it i had a lower susvis in just 2.5hrs

if you are happy with those results dont change anything!

steve

Big difference in copper and iron from the first analysis. Looking real good TEX!!! Thanks for posting these! Big help, as you already know I was seriously considering moving from Rotell T 15-40 to the T6 5-40 in my 06 Brue 750.

TBN is real strong as well!!! That's a big deal considering how these V-Twins are known to tear up oil....and this is pre-oil cooler!

After seeing these reuslts I'm going to go ahead and make the move. Thinking I'll get a UOA as well!!

Thanks again my friend!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
wow you had 5w50 stay in grade!!! on 10 hrs use!!!

um, that's pretty easy on the oil.
when i tested it i had a lower susvis in just 2.5hrs

if you are happy with those results dont change anything!

steve

The T-6 held up much better than the Kawasaki oil and I will go back to it after I use all of the Defy that I recently grabbed at Amazon for a song and a dance.

The BF V-Twin is an oil shredder and it does not take very long in Texas heat (as you well know) to overcome the cooling system to the point of oil degradation. This oil seems to be really stout and I will likely extend to 20 hours and see how it goes...

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Big difference in copper and iron from the first analysis. Looking real good TEX!!! Thanks for posting these! Big help, as you already know I was seriously considering moving from Rotell T 15-40 to the T6 5-40 in my 06 Brue 750.

TBN is real strong as well!!! That's a big deal considering how these V-Twins are known to tear up oil....and this is pre-oil cooler!

After seeing these reuslts I'm going to go ahead and make the move. Thinking I'll get a UOA as well!!

Thanks again my friend!

No worries Mon Ami! I think you can switch to T-6 with zero issues; it will also protect the front differential too so a "one-stop shop" for both engine and front axle. It did not shear at all and the TBN was up there; not sure what the VOA TBN is, but I would hazard a guess that we will dump it long before the TBN is exhausted due to the physical conditions under which it is operating.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Thanks again my friend!

No worries Mon Ami! I think you can switch to T-6 with zero issues; it will also protect the front differential too so a "one-stop shop" for both engine and front axle. It did not shear at all and the TBN was up there; not sure what the VOA TBN is, but I would hazard a guess that we will dump it long before the TBN is exhausted due to the physical conditions under which it is operating.

You got that right Brotha!! Thanks again. Very impressive UOA!!

For an offroad motor, you should have destroyed that T6 much sooner, in an hour or 2.

But results are results, so your 27 hour change interval looks usable.

Just a guess guys, do you think oil temps may have something to do with shearing?

Oil hot (Texas) = less shearing?

Oil too cold = more shearing?

Originally Posted By: Qwiky
Just a guess guys, do you think oil temps may have something to do with shearing?

where in the world did you come up with that idea?

um, NO!

im thinking lower rpms.

Great UOA, the last one with Kawasaki Oil was good too. Kawasaki oil was right in grade, with little shearing and engine was still breaking in. I do see the UOA from the break in period was not good, but that is break in.
I have a feeling your engine will do good with a number of oils and have a long life.
Someone refers to the T-6 as a 5/50, its a 5/40.

No; since the T-6 held up much better than the Kawasaki oil. The shearing is due to the transmission gears and the V-Twin. The clutch is not in the oil bath, the BF uses a CVT.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
For an offroad motor, you should have destroyed that T6 much sooner, in an hour or 2.

But results are results, so your 27 hour change interval looks usable.

I am going for a 20 hour OCI (apologies if that was not clear).

No; since the T-6 held up much better than the Kawasaki oil. The shearing is due to the transmission gears and the V-Twin. The clutch is not in the oil bath, the BF uses a CVT.

Im not sure if I am missing something here but the viscosity on the Rotella T and the Kawaski oil both show in grade, in fact the viscosity numbers area almost exactly the same.
Im not talking about the first change, I am talking about the 2nd and 3rd.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Im not sure if I am missing something here but the viscosity on the Rotella T and the Kawaski oil both show in grade, in fact the viscosity numbers area almost exactly the same.
Im not talking about the first change, I am talking about the 2nd and 3rd.

The second run of Kawasaki oil was not run nearly as hard as the run of T-6 and the T-6 had virtually the same numbers. The break-in run of Kawasaki was terrible and when coupled with the fact that it costs more than T-6, is a conventional versus synthetic (heat endurance is better with syn), then the choice is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back