2010 Kawasaki Brute Force | 10 hours | 45 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I received the UOA for the engine, front differential, and rear differential today. Contrary to what I "felt" about the engine oil and the possibility of gas in the oil. None was found; here is the post I had about it--> Post about gas in oil

The oil was the factory fill which is Kawasaki 10w-40. Although Blackstone states that it had a decent additive pack, did the oil not shear down to something less than 10w-40? Also, I thought the TBN was low for only 10 hours/45 miles. I filled it with Kawasaki oil again, (it now has 14 hours and 75 miles on it), but the next fill will be Rotella.

Please give me your thoughts about the possible shearing (or anything else that you see).

actually to be a 30wt the susvis needs to be 56.7954

welcome to 20wt oil!!!

i have found over the last decade that 10w40 quickly becomes thin as pizz in short order in most bikes. thanks for helping confirm that!
wink.gif

now i have not tested the Kawa 10w40, but i have tested their 20w50 and it was ok.

imho, do yourself (and bike) a favor and at 5hrs dump it and switch to shell rotella t 15w40 or supertech 15w40.

I have a Brute Force 650 SRA I run Rotella 15w40 and it works great. I use a WIX "car" filter on it too. Its a 2006 and runs like a champ.

My radiator fan seems to come on much less with Rotella than it did with The Yamalube and Valvoline 4t in it. Not a scientific observation but an observation none the less.

Im changing the oil around 40 hours ish

Sunruh, did you ever test Motul 5100 in the 10w40?

I know you had good results with the 15W50 or was it 10w50?

Last edited:
yes i have tested Motul 5100 10w50

and it was FANTASTIC!!!
number 2 on my best of the best list.

very very spendy and very very good!

use with wallet thinning caution

Originally Posted By: sunruh
thanks for helping confirm that!
wink.gif

You are quite welcome--more knowledge is better!

imho, do yourself (and bike) a favor and at 5hrs dump it and switch to shell rotella t 15w40 or supertech 15w40.

I have surpassed the 5 hour mark (unless you mean 15?) I will definitely be switching to Rotella at the next OC and since the front differential only holds 0.4 quarts, I will probably use Rotella T6 in the engine and front differential. Shell Donax TD in the rear differential at the next OC.

i said 5 hr and meant 5 hr.

that 10w40 is done....in the cake is baked sense of the word.

imho, i would recommned 10hr oci with the SRT in the 4wheeler. SRT wont kill the wallet and gives great results.

i said 5 hr and meant 5 hr.

OK; but perhaps you missed this part--the first OC was at 10 hours and the UOA was performed at that time so it is not possible to change it at 5 hours (unless you have a time machine
grin.gif
).

I gave it a fresh fill of Kawasaki 10w-40 and I now have 14 hours on it. I will not use Kawasaki oil again now that I have the results of the UOA.

The next OC will be with T6 so it should be all good...provided there is not an actual problem with the front differential--which will be Kawasaki's problem if there is.

Sunruh, did you ever test the 10w40 in the 5100?

I know you have said in the past that most 10w40s don't fair very well.

no i didnt miss anything.

you simply did not understand that a 5 hr oci recommendation means - from now on.

qwiky, nope. i see no reason to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back