2010 Infiniti G37 - Pennzoil Platinum PP 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The report below shows the first 2 UOAs on the G37 I bought last fall. The results from March were with Quaker State Full Syn 5-30. It was the first time I've ever had a QS test with that low of a viscosity number, but I've read that this particular engine is rough on oil.

The next test was done with PPP for the same amount of miles. As you can see the viscosity isn't much better, although the TBN was certainly stronger. The PPP also has almost half the Moly of the QS. It can be debated whether that is significant.

//i988.photobucket.com/albums/af7/grantsburg/Blackstone%20Labortories/G37OilReport7-2014.jpg​

I wondered about that high moly in the QSUD UOA. It must have been left over from the oil that was in there before, as in what stuck to the metal surfaces. According to the last VOA I've seen at PQIA QSUD and PP should be about the same moly level.

Last edited:
You might want to try Mobil 1 0w40. My M35 does better with it than any xw30w.
By better i mean almost stopped oil usage completely, it not measurable on the stick.
The engine is much quieter and smoother. No cold start problems or any perceivable drop in fuel economy.

Lots of really good UOA's on this site for what their worth.

Pennzoil looks to be working well. I agree that a 6-7k OCI is totally doable for your motor and driving style.

I think the whole "VQ37s are hard on oil" myth is dying.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
5k OCI? C'mon, man.

Well, 5700 is lot closer to 6k than 5k.
smile.gif

But that is the habit I've fallen into with all my cars, oil changes at 6-7k. My concern isn't so much the oil durability, but the oil filter. Especially with my G37 as the oil filter is so tiny that if you drop it you may not find it again. haha

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
I wondered about that high moly in the QSUD UOA. It must have been left over from the oil that was in there before, as in what stuck to the metal surfaces. According to the last VOA I've seen at PQIA QSUD and PP should be about the same moly level.

From your link it looks like they are comparing QSUD to the old version of PP. The other UOA on PP with Pure Plus I've seen also had a moly number similar to my test.

Your concern of the filter is warrantless. Your insolubles are 0.1. Tiny is doing it's job.

Originally Posted By: grantsburg
My concern isn't so much the oil durability, but the oil filter. Especially with my G37 as the oil filter is so tiny that if you drop it you may not find it again. haha

Originally Posted By: grantsburg

From your link it looks like they are comparing QSUD to the old version of PP. The other UOA on PP with Pure Plus I've seen also had a moly number similar to my test.

It was the QSUD in your test that had the high 126 ppm moly, not the PP.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Your concern of the filter is warrantless. Your insolubles are 0.1. Tiny is doing it's job.

Both filters were Purolator Classics by the way.

It was the QSUD in your test that had the high 126 ppm moly, not the PP.

I gotta stop posting when I'm hung over...
grin.gif

SOPUS working extremely well here.
No need for more visc, but if you want it, spike the oil with a pint or quart of Pennzoil/Shell/QuakerState/Rotella 0w40 or 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Was this the new forumulation GTL Pennzoil Platinum w/PurePlus? Or the old "classic" Pennzoil Platinum?

It was the PurePlus version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back