2010 hyundai accent blue - Timing belt - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I need to get my timing belt changed within the next 10,000 miles so I was trying to get a head start on finding out what else needs to be changed.

I have a 2010 hyundai accent blue with a 1.6l engine, manual transmission. I was going to just get the timing belt replaced at first but then on this forum I read that tensioners and pulleys should also be replaced. Is there anything else I should invest in getting replaced while they are in there?

thanks!
- Nick

At 60k you replace the timing belt, service the transmission and the cooling system, and replace spark plugs. Replacing the timing belt requires removal of the accessory belts, so I would recommend replacing them at the same time.
If you are the original owner of the vehicle, the water pump is covered under the 10yr/100k warranty. Do not replace it until the second timing belt replacement at 120k. If you choose to replace it anyway, make sure it is OEM. Hyundai will not cover an aftermarket pump if it fails while the vehicle is still under warranty. We never do the tensioners and pulleys. Crank pulley is also a 10/100 item.
In short, just replace the belts and service your transmission and cooling systems, and replace spark plugs.

Last edited:
Just as there are oil freaks here, there are Accent freaks out there. You have 10 K to look for them. Find a write up on the 60 k timing belt change for your specific car.. Any info here is basic preventative maintenance. I'm on forums for all my cars
grin2.gif

Salv, In the scheduled maintenance log it says 90k for the first timing belt change. 80k if you drive in severe conditions. So keeping in mind that I am at 80k currently would you change your recommendation? Also I am not the first owner of the car.

Originally Posted By: salv
At 60k you replace the timing belt, service the transmission and the cooling system, and replace spark plugs. Replacing the timing belt requires removal of the accessory belts, so I would recommend replacing them at the same time.
If you are the original owner of the vehicle, the water pump is covered under the 10yr/100k warranty. Do not replace it until the second timing belt replacement at 120k. If you choose to replace it anyway, make sure it is OEM. Hyundai will not cover an aftermarket pump if it fails while the vehicle is still under warranty. We never do the tensioners and pulleys. Crank pulley is also a 10/100 item.
In short, just replace the belts and service your transmission and cooling systems, and replace spark plugs.

Last edited:
If you aren't the original owner then you don't have the 10 year/100k warranty. Unless you purchased a genuine Hyundai extended warranty or bought certified used with an extended Hyundai warranty.

In that case, I might toss on a new high quality pump and tensioner. Note, high quality. I'm talking genuine dealer part quality, not Autozone or Advance Auto house brand parts with a "lifetime warranty."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back