2010 Honda Element 197k miles valvetrain pictrures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Honda stop making those?!?!?!
Upsetting. They could have that one in their lineup with minor evolutionary updates. Kind of like VW had the Bug or FCA has Wranglers, around for years, a staple. Let the other models be trendy.
OK, T-shirts about to be printed up with "Bring Back the Element" LOL
Had a friend of mine with some kind of camping topper a while back. Maybe like this one (Sweet!):
[Linked Image from enthusiastnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com]

Last edited:
You folks in California are lucky. Your cars stay nice and clean. You don't get the slop weather we get in the Northeast.

Originally Posted by buster
Honda got that engine right.

They really did.

I have seen many going over 300K and one TSX and an Accord with over 500K , just impressive.

Good job -- keep up the good work & thanks for sharing. Hopefully my Acura in signature makes it to 200K trouble free miles also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dblshock
looks new, very nice...keep the suspension updated, hard to skirt that.

I did that. I bought complete Honda OEM strut assemblies, front and rear, and installed them at 165k or thereabouts. At about 125k I replaced rotors and pads with Honda OEM parts. I change the power steering every oil change (suck out of the resevior), trans fluid every 10k miles (so easy to do, why not), bleed brakes every year, plugs and trans filter every 60k, coolant every 3 years or so using Honda OEM, engine air and cabin filters every 15k or 20k. My Element is rewarded for its toils!

To everyone else, thanks for your nice comments. Appreciated.

Scott

Thanks for posting.

I really liked the Element I bought my wife, everything but the broken windshields - never had a vehicle that had so many broken windshields.

UD

That engine look great! Do you have any of your uoas here on site? I'd love to see how well K24 engines "like" Castrol Edge. I'm thinking of trying the Edge 0W20 high mileage version.

Honda says they're an engine company and here's proof. And you've taken good care of it. Congratulations.

With proper maintenance, excellent design and being well made in the first place, this engine will run for a good many more miles.

I have a 2003 with a manual transmission. Best vehicle I have owned. Reliable and versatile. No idea what I am going to replace it with when the time comes.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by bbhero
Looks great.... Good for another 200,000 miles
smile.gif

400k miles, I honestly believe that's possible. When the motor dies it will be because of metal fatigue. It'll drop a valve, crack a piston, or snap a rod. The K24 motor won't simply "wear out".

Original paint, black paint. That's my reflection in the driver's door!

Scott

Good job! Not just on maintaining the engine but the paint as well! Mind if I ask what you use on the paint? That many miles and almost ten years later, the paint is looking very good.

Originally Posted by njohnson
Originally Posted by bbhero
Looks great.... Good for another 200,000 miles
smile.gif

400k miles, I honestly believe that's possible. When the motor dies it will be because of metal fatigue. It'll drop a valve, crack a piston, or snap a rod. The K24 motor won't simply "wear out".

Original paint, black paint. That's my reflection in the driver's door!

Scott

Good job! Not just on maintaining the engine but the paint as well! Mind if I ask what you use on the paint? That many miles and almost ten years later, the paint is looking very good.

The main thing is that it is garaged when it's not being driven. I was retired when we bought it so I never used it as a commuter where it sat outside all day in a company parking lot (but when I was still working I always covered my cars). That said, keep the car clean. Don't let dirt bake on it. Wash it by hand and do it correctly (in the shade, high quality mitt, proper detergents, etc). As far as "waxing" goes, I've always kept it coated with something; the last couple of year Jescar Power Lock + topped with Colonite 915 Marque D'Elegance. Even if you don't have the time or interest in doing that, at least use some kind of spray on wax after you wash it. Every little bit helps.

Another little trick, I wax the nose of the car every time I wash it. It takes 10 minutes total. Next time you wash it bugs and grime wash off easily. You can burnish the paint if you have to scrub it.

Scott

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
That engine look great! Do you have any of your uoas here on site? I'd love to see how well K24 engines "like" Castrol Edge. I'm thinking of trying the Edge 0W20 high mileage version.

Here are two of them. I have a more recent third one but it seems to be hiding from me. But this should do. Castrol Edge 0W-20, Honda OEM A01 filter. I was experimenting with a 7,500 mile OCI with the second sample.

Scott

Dec 2013 2010 Honda Element SC (64,494mi:7,459oci.jpeg

Here are two of them. I have a more recent third one but it seems to be hiding from me. But this should do. Castrol Edge 0W-20, Honda OEM A01 filter. I was experimenting with a 7,500 mile OCI with the second sample.

Scott

Those uoas look great, thanks! What are your observations on the 0W20 vs the 5W30 in this engine?

Scott

Those uoas look great, thanks! What are your observations on the 0W20 vs the 5W30 in this engine?

It seems to make no difference whatsoever. I can't imagine the 5W-30 returning better results than the 0W-20 because the 0W-20 UOA was really good. I switched to 5W-30 "just because". Car is garaged, we live in Cali, etc. Winters aren't cold, summers can get toasty. That was my only rationale. I didn't switch to 5W-30 to "fix" anything.

To all: All the valves were tight. Intakes spec at .008 to .011, exhaust .010 to .013. Intakes where all right around .008 mostly, a few slightly less. I set those to .010. Exhaust were all tight, a few at .006, most at about .008, one at .016 (dealer did the first adjustment, IMO that one was set wrong). I set all the exhaust to .012. And being the super anal type, after sliding feeler gauges in an out and "wiping" the oil off the valve stem/rocker faces, I re-oiled all those areas so they wouldn't be "dry" at startup. I guarantee you no one does that!

Cheers,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back