2010 Honda Element 127K miles valvetrain picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by EdwardC
Did you guys replace the valve cover gaskets or spark plug seals?

We replaced the cam cover gasket gasket and the cam cover grommets. We did not replace the spark plug seals because they weren't leaking and they looked like a PIA to R&R. They need to be pressed out of and pressed back into the cam cover. We inspected them throughly. They were still pliable and they didn't have any cracks or splits in them.

Thanks all for your comments, especially those regarding our 61 (!!!) year old friendship. We grew up in something similar to a Ozzie & Harriet or Leave It To Beaver neighborhood. There were five of us who met in 1959 in first grade. To this day we remain close friends. Although not all of us live in the same state, we communicate on a regular basis. All of us text each other regularly. Those of us living near each other still see each other in person on a regular basis. The most fun this is that even having met each other at age 6, we are still the same guys and with the same personalities at age 67!

Just for fun, our original "first grade group" is John, Mark, Gary, Mike, and me. We're all retired now, but two in the group were airline Captains, one worked for a defense contractor, and two of us worked in high tech.

Scott

Scott: glad you 5 are all still wonderful friends and thanks for sharing the great pics
34.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Hello:

A friend of mine has always liked my Honda Element so he decided to buy one himself. He lives in Arizona and found a nice one owner vehicle at a high volume used car dealer. After buying he drove it to my home in California. We did a complete maintenance on it; engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter, power steering fluid, brake bleed, coolant change, engine air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt - and a valve adjustment.

Although his "new" Element seemed very nice, you really never know when you buy a 10 year old car. There were no maintenance records for it. But, besides it looking well cared for, it had all the original owners, warranty, emissions manuals in the original pouch, including the code for the radio should the battery be disconnected (you need the code to make the radio work after the battery disconnect). IMO having all this original stuff is a very good sign that it was loved by its original owner, but still you never really know.

We pulled the cam cover to adjust the valves and it suggests the vehicle was indeed loved and well cared for by the original owner. We only took one engine picture in our mission to do all this work, but it says a lot.

Long live Honda's K24 engine! What a masterpiece of a small displacement engine engineering!

Scott

PS My good friend, both he and I are 67 years old - and we met in 1959 in first grade. We've been close friends ever since. How cool is that?

Very clean / nice looking engine ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back