-Pennzoil Pure Plus Ultra 5w20
-OEM filter
-Cold air intake
-ECU tune
-93 octane
-Always used MMO or Lucas UCL at every fill up
-Engine always saw near the redline when fully warmed up
-Frequent high RPM operations
-Very frequent short trips (under 1 mile up to 6 times daily, 5 days a week)
-Mostly highway miles

The oil surprisingly wasn't dark for having over 11k miles on it. The past sample was Edge EP 5w20 and I think mile for mile, the Edge will hold up better in my specific engine than the Pennzoil. I intended to do a 10k interval but got busy so 11k happened.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Titanium was high. Can't be that 1/3 of the old Edge Ti stayed there? Pennzoil Ultra never used Ti (actually only 2 ppm).
Also what happened to the big boron Ultra usually has?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3488607/Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5w20_V

Magnesium was high too. So I'm guessing you still had 1/3 to 1/4 of the sump the old Edge oil.

It is around 6.5qts to fill it from dry, but calls for 5.65qts drain and refill. It must have been some of the Edge in there from the previous change.

Lethal: I thought for a minute you did what I've sometimes done in the past. I sometimes purposely re-used 1/4 to 1/3 of the old oil if the old oil was a premium synthetic, figuring it as still kicking. Parsimonious etc.

I heard a story a while ago that an oil change place would take a quart or two of the old oil and re-use it to cheat the customer out of some new oil. If you are DIY, then disregard that crazy theory, but it has happened at some lube shops.

way too much Aluminum and Iron wear IMO esp looking at the universal averages + your previous samples... How hard are you driving this thing? I would cut down your next OCI to 6k miles. Just my opinion though, others will surely disagree.

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
way too much Aluminum and Iron wear IMO esp looking at the universal averages + your previous samples... How hard are you driving this thing? I would cut down your next OCI to 6k miles. Just my opinion though, others will surely disagree.

Universal Averages are based on an OCI of about 5,000 miles, not the big 11k this engine did. So iron is ok, aluminum ok too PER MILE which is all that counts here.

I do agree that Pennzoil Ultra was a little disappointing. Oxidized more than I'd like to see in a synthetic. I would be go to running a 0w-30 M1 AFE, or a 5w-30 any full syn here. Because it gets driven hard/hot.

Looks fine. I would step up a grade with your driving habits but 5W20 is still OK.

Members trying analyze normal wear numbers in UOA's should stop.

The universal averages are based on what OCI? It's different for every car, isn't it?

If it is indeed 5k then it's not bad, but still a 20-30% increase per mile from last UOA.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The universal averages are based on what OCI? It's different for every car, isn't it?

If it is indeed 5k then it's not bad, but still a 20-30% increase per mile from last UOA.

Not much if any increase in wear from the last oil. Based on leftover Ti and Mag ppm in the oil, it shows a substantial amount of old previous oil was still stuck in the engine. Extra iron and Al came from the old oil. Blackstone has usually said their universal averages are around 5 or 6 thousand miles. It would make more sense if they stated a per-mile figure instead.

Two parts per thousand miles is okay, nothing to be alarmed. The only obvious problem with this PPPU in this car with this OCI mileage is the oxidation, it increases the viscosity substantial.

If I use same oil same grade I would cut down the OCI to no more than 9-10k miles. For hard driving I would step up a grade, such as M1 0W30 or stay with Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra then 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

Titanium was high. Can't be that 1/3 of the old Edge Ti stayed there? Pennzoil Ultra never used Ti (actually only 2 ppm).

Magnesium was high too. So I'm guessing you still had 1/3 to 1/4 of the sump the old Edge oil.

It is around 6.5qts to fill it from dry, but calls for 5.65qts drain and refill. It must have been some of the Edge in there from the previous change.

Most 4-cyl engine have about 1/2 quarts of old oil left in the engine when changing oil, 6 and 8 cylinders have more, up to a quart remaining is not unusual. Some owner manuals have dry fill capacity and oil change volume. Honda even has oil change with and without changing filter capacities.

I have the same engine, and according to the oil viscosity chart in the owners manual, and my climate I have been running the pennzoil platinum 10w-30 in mine with good results. Depending on where he lives in Georgia, he could likely benefit during the summer with the 10w-30

Originally Posted By: pcguy
I have the same engine, and according to the oil viscosity chart in the owners manual, and my climate I have been running the pennzoil platinum 10w-30 in mine with good results. Depending on where he lives in Georgia, he could likely benefit during the summer with the 10w-30
I live in Savannah.

one thing to consider in reading this report, the universal average for this unit type, those universal figures are from 6,000 to 6,100 miles according to blackstone, and this interval was 11,000 miles... nearly twice the mileage and when considering that the wear metals don't look that bad.

You would likely do better changing around 7,500 miles and sticking with the current oil and see what happens on next report.

Originally Posted By: pcguy
one thing to consider in reading this report, the universal average for this unit type, those universal figures are from 6,000 to 6,100 miles according to blackstone, and this interval was 11,000 miles... nearly twice the mileage and when considering that the wear metals don't look that bad.

You would likely do better changing around 7,500 miles and sticking with the current oil and see what happens on next report.
I will be sticking with the Castrol Edge EP 5w20 at 10,000 mile intervals with reports, as it seemed to hold up slightly better mile-per-mile for wear numbers, and it runs slightly smoother in my engine. It has been increasingly hard to find around in the past few months, so next time I may try Mobil 1 EP and see how it holds up for 10k runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back