2010 FX4 | 8.8 | Castrol Syntec 75W-90 | 67,000 Mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is the 2nd UOA on the front axle on my FX4. No surprises to be found (other than Castrol seems to be a decent oil--haha). Amsoil 75W-110 went into the axle this time (to match the Amsoil 75W-140 in the rear axle).

Below are Blackstone's comments; thoughts and comments are welcome!

We didn't find any moisture in this sample from your front diff, so it looks like going through the water didn't hurt anything. Wear metals look great, especially for such a long oil run. Universal averages show typical wear levels for a Ford differential after about 44,200 miles on the oil. Insolubles are nice and low at 0.1%. The TAN read 6.0, showing some acidity, but again, that's from the phosphorus additive and not a concern. Nice report at 80,300 miles.

Code:
Year: 2010 Make: Ford Model: F-150 FX4

Engine: 5.4L FFV Transmission: 6R80 Axle: 8.8 Ford (3.73)

Oil Brand/Type: Castrol (Syn) MC

Oil Viscosity: 75W-90 80W-90

API Service: GL-5 GL-5

Lab: BLKST BLKST

Date: 07/26/2012 02/03/2011

Truck Mileage: 80,300 13,300

Oil Mileage: 67,000 13,300

Aluminum: 1 2

Chromium 0 0

Iron: 23 27

Copper: 1 2

Lead: 1 1

Tin: 2 0

Molybdenum: 0 1

Nickel: 0 0

Manganese: 1 1

Silver: 0 0

Titanium: 167 1256

Potassium: 5 11

Boron: 288 148

Silicon: 62 27

Sodium: 5 13

Calcium: 13 53

Magnesium: 2 2

Phosphorus: 2754 1311

Zinc: 10 8

Barium: 1 2

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 14.89 14.04

Castrol cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 15.0 --

Ford cSt Viscosity @ 100°C -- N/A

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 77.5 74.2

Flashpoint in °F 335 395

Fuel % -- --

Antifreeze % -- --

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.1 0.4

TBN N/A N/A

TAN 6.0 N/A

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Great report. Darn that Castrol they keep making good products.

I will be the first to admit--I am impressed and I was initially concerned about using Castrol in my new truck. I have never been a fan of Castrol and with the BP debacle...well, but my fears have been easily allayed and with wear numbers this good, it may not make sense to use anything more expensive than this.

Again - excellent data.

Once the break-in was flushed out, the wear dropped substantially.

Your entire rig is likely to last 500k miles, if you continue the dedication to maintenance you've shown. Makes one wonder where the theorhetical limit would be ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Again - excellent data.

Once the break-in was flushed out, the wear dropped substantially.

Your entire rig is likely to last 500k miles, if you continue the dedication to maintenance you've shown. Makes one wonder where the theorhetical limit would be ...

Thanks Dave! Well..at $36K + fuel/insurance/maintenance we will definitely be finding out what that limit is
grin.gif

Bom, bom, bom, bompabom, bumpabom... Darth Vader has entered the building. ( : < )

Has anyone considered... and it doesn't look like B/S did either... that this is the FRONT axle? How many running miles are there on it? A hundred? If it was more than a hundred, I'd be surprised. Wouldn't be surprised if it was under 25. Be glad there was no water in it and that's mostly what you were worried about right? Just pointing out that there's no reason for the group happy dance here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Bom, bom, bom, bompabom, bumpabom... Darth Vader has entered the building. ( : < )

Has anyone considered... and it doesn't look like B/S did either... that this is the FRONT axle? How many running miles are there on it? A hundred? If it was more than a hundred, I'd be surprised. Wouldn't be surprised if it was under 25. Be glad there was no water in it and that's mostly what you were worried about right? Just pointing out that there's no reason for the group happy dance here.

The water was the primary concern after my water fording incident (you saw the video) and good to know the vent is much higher than I expected. While it is true it is the front axle, I have driven about 1.5K in 4x4 in CO/WY/MT during the life (thus far) of the truck of which at least 1,475 were in this OC. The oil was used some, but certainly not like the rear axle oil and the wear was about what I expected (especially since the oil had no water).

The other concern is the TAN (and I am not sure what a VOA TAN on Castrol would be), but I am guessing it would be far less than 6.0 (what would the condemnation number be)? Since this axle does not have a drain plug and the fill plug is also difficult to reach, it would not be easy to sample the oil and send a UOA, so it is easier to simply change it. I will go longer on this OC though because I used Amsoil 75W-110 in it on the refill.

Darth Vader is still here... ( : < (

You are saying you actually drove 1500 miles with the front axle engaged? I actively four wheeled most of my life... like every other weekend for a long portion of it. Since 1975. Sometimes I was DAYS away from a paved road and I imagine it took five years to put 1500 miles on the front axle, 2-3 4 miles at a time in the rig I 'wheeled the longest. I simply didn't have the front axle engaged that much. Four wheeling is mild except for spots of difficulty. We generally disengage the front axle on the easy stuff to save wear & tear and save gas.

Another thought just occured. If by some chance your truck is AWD or full-time 4WD, then I withdraw to hang my head in idiotic shame.

Last edited:
Darth Vader is still here... ( : < (

You are saying you actually drove 1500 miles with the front axle engaged?

Yes; I am saying that (it is not AWD). You have more confidence in your offroad driving/truck abilities than I do with mine.
grin.gif

We go to CO/WY/MT in the snow and they stay locked the whole time we are there and we drive lots of miles during that time we are there and we go many times per year (you really did not think I have placed 82K on it in less than 2 years driving around Houston...did you? LOL). I also hunt varmints in CO/WY/MT and they also remain locked in the whole time as well. My thought is--I bought a 4x4 so why "save" it for a rainy day? Turn the knob...
wink.gif

Does this front diff turn with at least one of the axles?

Some rigs (such as my Dmax equipped with cv front axles) always have one shaft turning the diff. I can uncouple the t-case, and uncouple the right front shaft, but my left shaft always turns my front diff.

If this 2010 rig can completely uncouple the diff so that the gears are stationary, then I'd agree with the "low use" assessment.

I only ask because I've not been under one. I'm not saying any of us are right or wrong; I'm asking because there are many different set-ups. No shame, Jim, if any of us are wrong, as long as we learn and get it right together!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Does this front diff turn with at least one of the axles?

I am not sure about that; I have never checked or investigated. I am very certain about the mileage estimate though. I have driven the full length of Colorado south to north and well into Wyoming and again into Montana in 4x4 every late December/early January on snowy/icy roads since I have owned it. These miles plus those driven in the summer months when varmint hunting easily equate 1500...

Originally Posted By: volk06
Where did all the titanium come from in the MC uoa????

Not sure; it was the factory fill. Perhaps some break-in additives?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Wonder I'd CP makes that fluid and uses it as an additive like in Kendall?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Wonder I'd CP makes that fluid and uses it as an additive like in Kendall?

Could be since they make the motor oil...

FYI to all, Ford uses devices call Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) that are essentially vacuum operated hub locks that are internal to the hub. Nothing in the diff turns when they are disengaged.

I am still chuffed to lean that despite my 40 years of four wheeling, much of it in the hard core realm, this FX4 guy probably has more miles with the front end engaged than I do! ( : < )

Last edited:
FYI to all, Ford uses devices call Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) that are essentially vacuum operated hub locks that are internal to the hub. Nothing in the diff turns when they are disengaged.

I am still chuffed to lean that despite my 40 years of four wheeling, much of it in the hard core realm, this FX4 guy probably has more miles with the front end engaged than I do! ( : < )

LOL @ Jim! I have spent most of my life in the south, so when adventuring into the ice/snow I am very conservative. Did I need to be in 4x4 the whole time? Probably not, but the truck handled very well with the front engaged and so I felt safer (and my wife did too) running it that way. In the plains of WY/MT, a slight rain is all that it takes to make a prairie dog town a 'slip and slide' mud bowl and thus I am sure that I needed 4x4 in those areas.

Fear not, I wish my FX4 only had the amount of miles that your Ford does, but I am VERY happy with mine thus far (big smiles...big smiles)!!

You might be surprised to learn that with a part-time 4x4 locked in, you often have less control than in 2-wheel drive. Exception is a pickup running light in back... but with weight in back, the needle swings back. Why? No differentiation in the center, so in a turn, a tire is going to slip and a slipping tire delivers no traction.

You might be surprised to learn that with a part-time 4x4 locked in, you often have less control than in 2-wheel drive. Exception is a pickup running light in back... but with weight in back, the needle swings back. Why? No differentiation in the center, so in a turn, a tire is going to slip and a slipping tire delivers no traction.

Usually just luggage in the back in the snow; but plenty of hunting stuff in the mud...I think it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back