2010 FX4 | 6R80 | MC MERCON LV | 58,155 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is the second UOA from the transmission of my FX4. Considering the amount of towing that I have done, I am not sure if it gets better than this.

Thoughts and comments always welcome!

Code:

Blackstone comments:

Things are still looking good in this sample from your transmission. Aluminum increased quite a bit. That

normally shows wear at the oil pump, but when compared to universal averages, 21 ppm is perfectly normal. Those

averages show typical wear levels for the Ford 6R80 transmission about 43,100 miles on the oil. The other wear metals

are right where they should be, showing no obvious problems developing. No moisture was present and insolubles

were low at just a trace level. The TAN was 1.2 showing very little acidity. Nice report at 71,455 miles.

Year: 2010 Make: Ford Model: F-150 FX4

Engine: 5.4L FFV Transmission: 6R80 Axle: 9.75 Ford ELD (3.73)

Oil Brand/Type: MC MC

Oil Viscosity: Mercon LV Mercon LV

API Service: ATF ATF

Lab: BLKST BLKST

Date: 05/24/2012 02/03/2011

Truck Mileage: 71,455 13,300

Oil Mileage: 58,155 13,300

Aluminum: 21 6

Chromium 0 0

Iron: 93 77

Copper: 34 30

Lead: 0 1

Tin: 0 0

Molybdenum: 0 0

Nickel: 2 1

Manganese: 18 36

Silver: 0 0

Titanium: 0 0

Potassium: 0 4

Boron: 65 60

Silicon: 8 6

Sodium: 7 10

Calcium: 127 113

Magnesium: 1 1

Phosphorus: 195 185

Zinc: 5 3

Barium: 0 1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 5.89 6.30

Ford cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.0 6.0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 45.5 46.8

Flashpoint in °F 415 375

Ford Flashpoint in °F 421 421

Fuel % -- --

Antifreeze % -- --

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % TR 0.0

TBN N/A N/A

TAN 1.2 1.1

Good report! By the results from your UOA's I am going to follow Ford's recommended service schedule I have enough confidence that Mercon V will be good until then. But then again maybe not?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Good report! By the results from your UOA's I am going to follow Ford's recommended service schedule I have enough confidence that Mercon V will be good until then. But then again maybe not?

I am fairly impressed with the fluid and am not sure that I would gain more by switching to another fluid (I probably would not until after the warranty is over anyway). It certainly seems to be performing quite well--this OC saw towing at different times in Nevada, Utah, and Texas in over 100+ degree heat. I believe that if it were going to show signs of fatigue the heat and towing combination should do it.

Looks good to me. See if you can entice Molakule or Whitewolf to comment. They are two of our ATF resident experts.

I'd call those very decent numbers, and be pleased with those results.

My Fusion runs the LV. I with there was a direct licensed aftermarket alternative, but can only find the "suitable for use in" stuff.

Regardless, this is impressive with towing.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'd call those very decent numbers, and be pleased with those results.

My Fusion runs the LV. I with there was a direct licensed aftermarket alternative, but can only find the "suitable for use in" stuff.

Regardless, this is impressive with towing.

How much different is DEXRON VI and MERCON LV? MERCON LV is a little "heavier".

Originally Posted By: dave1251
How much different is DEXRON VI and MERCON LV? MERCON LV is a little "heavier".

Now Dave, you are not thinking of doing the unthinkable...are you?

It's my understanding that the official chemistry packages may not be compatible, however I find that somewhat skeptical.

The DEX VI is approx 6.0 vis and so is the Mercon LV at 6.2 or something like that. Amsoil ATL and Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc both are "recommended" for the DEX VI and Mercon LV applications. How "different" can they really be?

I don't mind paying for the LV; it's not really any more expensive than the ATL or M/L D-M. But I like options, especially ones that are easy/inexpensive to find at Walmart, etc. There is already a licensed DEX VI Walmart ST product; I wonder if they'll get around to getting the LV license as well?

I noted harsher shifts with my F-250's C6 when I changed from a Dex III (don't remember what brand) to Royal Purple Max ATF. As I recall, there was a difference in viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back