2010 Ford Ranger: Cheap!

The world has gone insane.

Car Max
2010 Ford Ranger
45,000 miles
No Haggle Price!
$25,995.00
If that doesn't suit you, you can get a bare bones base model 2010 with 109K for the handsome sum of $18,998.

These prices are ludicrous and I have a hard time fathoming who is pulling the trigger on these 100K vehicles at that price. But evidently they are still selling them. With prices of actual necessities (gas, food, housing, etc.) rising at the rate they are, I see a lot of vehicle repos in the not-too-distant future. But first will come the maxed out credit cards and a recession can't be too far behind after that. Hope I'm wrong!

I was really on the fence buying a vehicle in the early days of covid (when the economic outlook was quite bleak); first time I've taken on a car payment in over a decade, but the interest rate made it nearly a free loan, so it was a no brainer. Super glad I did, after a year and a half and 20K added on, trade-in value is over what I bought it for. And that's for a make with a historically awful resale value.

I know lots of folks (coworkers, friends, acquaintances) when they realized they were no longer upside down on their loans (often on vehicles they recently bought), wasted no time heading to the dealership for a trade-in on a newer model. I'm in no hurry at all to participate in the current car market.

The values are so crazy that here in KY the governor froze vehicle property/use tax at the 2021 valuation. Stays in effect for two years. The justification for it was that on average, owners would see a 40% increase on their annual vehicle tax.

2WD at that price Ha
You think they're selling at those prices without any negotiation?

It's Car Max it's supposed to be no haggle but if it doesn't sell they certainly can lower the price. Honestly I wonder if some gamesmanship is occuring where they intentionally price it high to make their 2020 Ranger for not much more look like a deal.

Market is all over the place. Down in Houston lots are sitting on 2 month old used inventory that they cant sell because they gave too much for them. Trade in values have started dropping……. But then i read stories online about 30k dollar 8k dollar trucks. People lost their minds…

Back in June of 2020 before it all got crazy I was in the market for an entry level new truck since I was planning on retiring.Kept watching the local dealers online and hoping I would get lucky and I did.The best deal was a 2019 Frontier the last one around going for $21,000.Yes it was the S model club cab with 4cyl,air,auto,cruise,fm stereo,and blue tooth.Had eight miles on the odometer.All I've added was a Line X spray on liner.Some guy drives up on the other side of the gas pumps last week and remarked he just purchased his 2019 S same as mine off the lot with 10,000 miles for $28,000.I showed him what I got mine for new two years ago.Kinda ruined his day cause he drove off upset and cursing as he left.

Back in June of 2020 before it all got crazy I was in the market for an entry level new truck since I was planning on retiring.Kept watching the local dealers online and hoping I would get lucky and I did.The best deal was a 2019 Frontier the last one around going for $21,000.Yes it was the S model club cab with 4cyl,air,auto,cruise,fm stereo,and blue tooth.Had eight miles on the odometer.All I've added was a Line X spray on liner.Some guy drives up on the other side of the gas pumps last week and remarked he just purchased his 2019 S same as mine off the lot with 10,000 miles for $28,000.I showed him what I got mine for new two years ago.Kinda ruined his day cause he drove off upset and cursing as he left.
Not sure I'd share the price like that, but it can feel good to get a good deal. That said, for a couple years prior to the pandemic I had seen some deals like that, lightly used on some dealer lots were higher in price than new models. Not sure if why, if that was asking price or what, but bad deals have always abounded.

If nothing else, if gas prices continue their ascent, I predict a (slight) drop in truck values.

Nothing like tooting your horn and rubbing salt in his wound.

I understand if people are really hurting (theft or total) What I don't understand is how people can pay that price for a 12 year old truck when they don't have to. At least here you can order a new one for under MSRP. All you have to do is be willing to wait. You can even order a Bronco for MSRP. It may be fall of 2024 by the time you get it though.

I understand if people are really hurting (theft or total) What I don't understand is how people can pay that price for a 12 year old truck when they don't have to. At least here you can order a new one for under MSRP. All you have to do is be willing to wait. You can even order a Bronco for MSRP. It may be fall of 2024 by the time you get it though.
I think that is your problem there. Some people have their hand forced into it (theft or crash as you indicate). Many don't keep spare vehicles "just in case" as typically pandemics don't come into planning. Suddenly one has to replace... is an outrageous price just more acceptable than not working?

Of course, our mentality is to buy when the urge strikes, which means taking something the same day off the lot. What do they say, 90% of new car buying is emotional? I'd wager that most car sales at the moment (or ever) was driven more by the desire to upgrade than the actual need to do so: while some cars simply need to be gotten out of (another child on the way, repair cost greatly exceeds value), most people "think" they need to move on, and won't accept logic to the contrary.

Back