2010 Ford Escape 2.5L 12K Miles on Edge EP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Nothing exciting to see here but it would have been fine for longer. Unfortunately the vehicle is now daily driven by me vs rented out on Turo so moving forward it'll be a lot less miles but a lot more cold starts on city driving vs mostly long highway trips so the data will not be comparable. Note was "topped off with 1/2quart Catrol Edge not-EP" hence their note. And yes, it's 5w-30, I don't use xw-20 water
wink.gif

Last edited:
Good report. Iron very low. If you like Castrol's titanium, and you want an HM oil on the ageing Escape, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is known to use titanium these days. I assume Valvoline Maxlife full syn also has it.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Good report. Iron very low. If you like Castrol's titanium, and you want an HM oil on the ageing Escape, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is known to use titanium these days. I assume Valvoline Maxlife full syn also has it.

Actually the previous UOA was Valvoline Synthetic
wink.gif
I'll be sticking with Royal Purple for a few OCIs since I have a bunch, after that who knows. After I run out of purple stuff I'll switch back to Valvoline for sure.

Last edited:
I salute you for running 5W-30 in that engine, excellent choice. Very nice wear metal counts.

Originally Posted by crainholio
I salute you for running 5W-30 in that engine, excellent choice. Very nice wear metal counts.

Thanks, yeah I have always run 5w-30 in my 5w-20 specced Fords
smile.gif
always turns out well for me!

With aprox 470K now using M1 0-20 in my last three Ford Duratech 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 engines, all has been and is very well.

Originally Posted by tig1
With aprox 470K now using M1 0-20 in my last three Ford Duratech 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 engines, all has been and is very well.

You like Mobil, I don't. I prefer 5w-30, you don't. Yet we can still coexist and move on with our lives
smile.gif
as much as I find this Escape boring to drive it'll probably stay in the family a long time and I'm sure it will be fine well over 200k with 5w-30
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A 2010 Escape 2.5L is durable. Ford made that basic chassis and similar engines for 9 years prior to building yours, so the bugs were out. Hybrid versions go hundreds of thousands of miles in NYC taxi use. https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/highest-mileage-new-york-city-taxis-arent-what-you-255766
In basically warm SF, 5w30 is fine. You could use a decent 5w20 of course too with no problems either.

The ONLY thing I'm worried about in terms of making it over 200K miles is the 6F35 transmission. Then again I had an 08 Escape with the "unreliable junk" CD4E and it still is fine on the original engine and trans at 220K miles and counting...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
[q
The ONLY thing I'm worried about in terms of making it over 200K miles is the 6F35 transmission. Then again I had an 08 Escape with the "unreliable junk" CD4E and it still is fine on the original engine and trans at 220K miles and counting...

SirTanon has a Fusion with ~260,000 miles with the original 6F35 transmission. The secret is doing reasonable ATF drain and fills, say every ~20-30,000 miles. Ford says the factory fill is good to 150,000 miles, 90,000 miles AFTER your power train warranty expired
33.gif
. With our new 2017 Explorer that has the same transmission I'm doing 3 ~11-12,000 mi d&f then I'll go to ~25,000mi d&f. It's easier to do the d&f than change the oil & filter.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
[q

SirTanon has a Fusion with ~260,000 miles with the original 6F35 transmission. The secret is doing reasonable ATF drain and fills, say every ~20-30,000 miles. Ford says the factory fill is good to 150,000 miles, 90,000 miles AFTER your power train warranty expired
33.gif
. With our new 2017 Explorer that has the same transmission I'm doing 3 ~11-12,000 mi d&f then I'll go to ~25,000mi d&f. It's easier to do the d&f than change the oil & filter.

Yup I'm doing double-drain-and-fills with Maxlife ATF every approx. 15-20k miles
smile.gif
when it starts to come out clean and not get black right away I'm going to settle on a single drain and fill every 30K.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Nice UOA. It will be intresting of you do more UOA's with a new the driving style.

I suspect it'll be... Half the miles, triple the time, and worse results lol.

Originally Posted by tig1

You like Mobil, I don't. I prefer 5w-30, you don't. Yet we can still coexist and move on with our lives
smile.gif
as much as I find this Escape boring to drive it'll probably stay in the family a long time and I'm sure it will be fine well over 200k with 5w-30
smile.gif

You would be correct, but I never said I didn't like Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back