2010 Focus, 190k Miles, Pizza Delivery, Oil Suggestion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Info as per STICKY

1. 2010 Ford Focus SE Sedan, Auto Trans. 190,000 Miles.
2. 5w-20 is Owners Manual Suggestion
3. Minnesota (Very Cold Winters, Fairly warm Summers)
4. I drive Conservatively, not heavy on gas nor brake.
5. I Deliver Pizza 35 to 40 Hours a week. 'Weekend' Highway Miles as well.
6. No known Car Problems

I bought this Focus from my Nephew a couple days ago.
Most of that Mileage is Freeway Mileage (a 120 Mile Daily Commute for Work) This Focus does not feel worn out in any way, still a very solid car.

Nephew said most recent oil change was about 3,500 Miles ago. When I picked up the Focus it was 1 Quart low on Oil.

I have had success with High Mileage Oils in the past on a 98' LeSabre, an 03' Galant & a 98' Accord. I've used many Different Brands of High Mileage Oil, my Best Results came from Valvoline's HM

Being the Focus is 1 Quart Low on Oil, it as well has a lot of Miles, 190k, I plan to use a High Mileage Oil.

What High Mileage Oil would you all Suggest ?

I'm Personally Considering:
1. SUPER TECH High Mileage, Full Synthetic
2. VALVOLINE High Mileage, Full Synthetic

3. MOBILE 1 High Mileage, Full Synthetic

4. VALVOLINE High Mileage, Semi-Synthetic.

I have been using "Semi"-Synthetic Oil in All my Cars over the last 2 years, I no longer use Conventional. I have not yet used a "Full" Synthetic but am considering doing so on this 2010 Focus.

In Short:
Pizza Delivery, Very Cold Weather, 190k Miles on Car.
Use Full or Semi-Synthetic ?
Use 5W-20 as per Owners Manual ? or 0W-20 ?

Thanks in Advance

The Ford Duratec/Mazda MZR is very durable...I've seen some with 400K miles....but running it low on oil can change that.
I would run an 0w20 in the winter and maybe an 0w30 in summer (with that mileage)….the only oil on your list that has both grades is Mobil 1.
A 5w20 or 5w30 would be fine in summer too...HM isn't necessary unless it's burning oil.

Hit up Advance auto and see if anything's still on clearance.

The Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 HM full syn for $.99 would catch my eye for summer use.

Use amazonbasics or walmart syn 0w20 or 5w20 for winter.

05 ZX4, 201,000 miles

I use 5w-20 Supertech, Quaker State or Pennzoil synthetic or conventional. 0w-20 burned 1quart in 7000 miles last winter, which is 1/2 quart more than 5w-20 burns.

Haven't used HM oil yet

Personal preference will be more of the opinions you get here more than anything, and it sounds like you also have some personal preferences of your own. The truth of the matter is any reputable 5w20 Conventional will do just fine even at 5,000 intervals. Same for a syn blend or full synthetic.

Of the oils you listed all would be excellent performers. Pick the one you can buy the cheapest.

As for my own personal preferences I like Super Tech and Valvoline products. However I'm also a sucker for sales and rebates which is why my current stash of oil is mostly Castrol Mobil and Pennzoil. We all have favorites but any of the big names will all work fine.

Keep an eye on the oil level as running it low will harm it more than your choice of oil brand. If you chose to invest in a cheap Wix or Napa UOA at 5-7k you might find that you can even stretch your oil changes out to 10k. Without a UOA I wouldn't personally be comfortable going straight to 10k intervals.

Cheers.

If you use 5-20 SN or SN+ oils, all of 'em will be semi-syn anyway. Oil chemistry is out stripping advertising, i.e. conventional oils aren't conventional any more. I too like HM oils and any you cited will work just fine.

"HM isn't necessary unless it's burning oil."-pbm
In both my LeSabre & Galant the High Mileage Oil as well lessened Oil Leakage, to the point that it stopped the leaking in my LeSabre Completely.

I have had this Focus only 2 days, at this point I don't think it burns any oil, but I do smell oil so I know it's leaking. The Leak is minor, I know it's minor cause the smell is minor, and in my past experience HM Oil usually will cure a minor leak. (aka HM has not been used in the engine before)

I've spent the last 5 hours researching Oils all over the Web.

I've seen, by far, most comments of Super Tech HM Full Synthetic are vastly positive. So due to it's low price and excellent reviews I'm going to try it. Plus, Personally I'd really like to see for myself if a 'High Quality" Oil that $Cheap does really exist or not. If nothing else I wont have spent much so an early oil change from it wont be out of the question.

I have been running HM Semi-Synthetic in all my cars over the last 2 years and followed a 3 to 4k Mileage Change interval.

With All the Stop-n-Go and On-n-Off of a Pizza Delivery Vehicle I never went beyond 4k Miles on a Change, could I have gone Longer ?
And How Many Pizza Delivery Miles can I logically get out of a 0W - Full Synthetic ?

PS Thanks for All the Replies

Any major brand of oil will run fine in that engine. My personal suggestion would be Valvoline Maxlife synblend (red bottle).

If it has been on 5w20 then I would stick with that.

A pizza delivery car is typically mostly running, which means the oil is typically at an optimally high temperature.

With a high-quality synthetic and no engine issues (e.g., faulty injector, worn ring pack, etc.), 10k is easily achievable. This is even more feasible if you're leaking/burning a quart every oil change, since you'll be replenishing additives and basestock with the added quart sometime within the OCI.

Last year my 2007 Focus was totaled with 175K. I used M1 0-20 year round at 10K OCIs and it still ran like new.

Originally Posted by tig1
Last year my 2007 Focus was totaled with 175K. I used M1 0-20 year round at 10K OCIs and it still ran like new.

This is what I would do, though with any 0W-20.

191k on my 07 mazda 3 with the same 2.0 duratec. I own it since new. Have been a Mobil 1 fan and used 0w20/5w20 until 140k or so with 8k oci. After 140k or so i fell off the M1 band wagon and using really anything thats on sale/rebate under $3 a quart with 10k oci. No brand name needed really as long as its under $3 for me.
smile.gif
But sticking to 5w30/10w30 now as its starting to leak/burn oil. Maybe after 200k i will stick to 5w40/10w40 high mileage stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back