2010 F150 4x4 front diff is leaking

I change my oil yesterday and found bunch of gease leaking all over side of my oil pan . The milky color . I though it was coolant . Then I saw bunch of drip grease under my front diff . That explains why my 4x4 not working and it show the wrench icon . How hard is this job and any one know how much the shop charges for this job . Also I don’t know how long I been driving like this , wonder it cause any damage . I haven’t checked the level of the fluid properly.

5AF574A9-479B-4721-9C3C-84B309D3E3F9.jpeg

Oh boy.. On my 2018 F-150, I changed the rear and went to the front diff. It was basically blocked by any way to change it. Called dealer and they talked my out of doing it.. Which was easy to do. They told me the only way to change the oil was to drop the axle, and they convinced me the fluid in there was fine.
If I had a lift I would change it around 40k, and get a diff cover with a drain and fill ports on it.. Why the fuk would Ford do that... So, try and find a local shop who'll drop the axle (is that even really a thing?) and put in the diff cover with drains on it.. I'd first make sure that you have to drop the axle for your year. Then I'd find a local shop that wants to do it, and has a good price.. Order the correct diff cover with the drain and fill ports. No one sells one? Look at trying to make one.

Is there a boot or something missing from the joint on the driveshaft? You shouldn't be able to see inside of it with the balls and what not. I think what is leaking out is all the grease from that joint and not the fluid in the diff.

How bad it’s to keep drive like this ? I can’t take to the shop til next week

Does it spin all the time? If so you can remove the driveshaft if you only need 2wd. I'm not sure if that vehicle has locking hubs or not and if the front axle/driveshaft constantly spins. If it doesn't, you can just leave it and don't use 4wd.

What you mean if it spint all time ? Even at idle ? Idle its not spint . And I don’t use 4wd in Texas . About a month ago it was rains and I switch to 4 high and it not engage , and the wrench icon pop up on screen . I switch back to 2wd and haven’t check on it until I did oil change yesterday .

So you can I still can drive like this as long I’m in 2wd mode ?

When the truck is moving. If it's not spinning when the truck is moving you can drive like that, you've probably been doing it a while.

There should be a boot there. Ford will not sell the boot by itself, only with the front driveshaft. AL3Z-4A376-E was the part number for a 4R75E (now obsolete) and AL3Z-4A376-D is the part number for a 6R80 trans.

There should be a boot there. Ford will not sell the boot by itself, only with the front driveshaft. AL3Z-4A376-E was the part number for a 4R75E (now obsolete) and AL3Z-4A376-D is the part number for a 6R80 trans.
That the boot ? 6r80 is my transmission

When the truck is moving. If it's not spinning when the truck is moving you can drive like that, you've probably been doing it a while.
I just did a test to see if my front diff drive shaft moving By put a piece of tape . And it moving :( . I need get it fix quick .

The driveshaft itself is around $502 from Ford. It comes with the one time use hardware. A couple dealers around the country show it, but it is on backorder through Ford.

Back