2010 Corolla cartridge filter (Denso) @ 10000 miles with pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2010 Corolla last summer with 84000 miles . The oil had just been changed so i left it until the maintenance light came on at 4500 miles.
Decided to change it at 5000 miles but the oil filter cap was stuck tight. Changed the oil with 5w20 .
After a while I ordered the proper filter cap wrench and a new filter cap just in case i broke it taking it off.
Winter came and the oil maintenance light came on again.
I Got lazy and let it go a bit more. The oil still looked clean .
Waited until today , which was a whole lot warmer, to change it.
Someone had over tightened the filter cap so badly i had to use my foot on a long breaker bar to loosen it.
Finally got it off and it looks to be in perfect shape.
No bypass to fail , its all part of the motor , so I thought these filters can run a long time and I think I am right.
This is a real clean running motor too. 90000 miles and it burns barely any oil. Both times the oil came out looking real clean .

IMG_7882.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

Nice looking filter. Do they employ it in a stupid manner, putting it underneath, or do they do it right, using it up top?

Indeed a good looking filter and the oil looks fine as well.

Sadly, those who don't do their own OCIs often have too much trouble removing the oil filter/cartridge.
Waaaay too many employees must be [censored] off in these shops/quick lube centers because I hear this all the time. However this in nothing new as I have been hearing of this periodically since I was a young man. Even if it was the previous vehicle owner that gorilla'd the filter on the engine simply because they're a spiteful loser.

Same can be said for wheel lug nuts, oil/tranny/ differential drain bolts or even brake calipers & hold down bolts( but these could just be rusty parts). I don't have any issues removing these items after I've done my own work

Last edited:
Those Corolla 1.8 are good little engines. They turn out some impressive UOA as well after 10k runs. I'm sure you'll have many more worry free miles. Always make sure to lube the o-ring before installing the filter housing. Thx for posting the pics.

What gets me is that this car always had dealer service before I got it .
Maybe Billy or whoever the flunkee they had doing 5 tenths oil changes that day was feeling strong.
I bet it took 50-100 foot pounds to get it off.
My friend the Toyota tech says that he sees cars all the time with the wrench stuck on the cap.
Makes his job easier. They should have just built it that way.
As a side note. i did lube up the o-ring a little .
Its been a habit of mine with regular filters for over 45 years.
I know I could have run it another 5000 ,but for a $2.50 filter , a .99 cent wrench ( Luck, thanks ebay ) and about hour of my time , its less worry for me.
Glad you liked the pics . You don't see many of these filters after changes.
They build them very stout.

I have a 2010 and have done all but one oil change (freebie from dealer after purchase). These things do get a bit sticky after 5-10K miles. Add overtorquing on installation and they can be a real bear. That would describe my first oil change after the dealer.
Originally Posted by chad8
My friend the Toyota tech says that he sees cars all the time with the wrench stuck on the cap.

So far I've lost one oil filter wrench, I can only guess by leaving it stuck on the cap. Another time it was still there on the next oil change. I lost another by removing the filter with a 3/8" ratchet and cracking it in half. Supposedly the square drive is there for installation and the 27mm hex around it is for removal. On the 3 aftermarket oil filter wrenches (really a big socket) that I've owned, all the 27mm hexes have been pyramidal. I filed the most recent one down to vertical just to make my life easier, tired of my wrench popping off of it.
Originally Posted by dernp
Those Corolla 1.8 are good little engines. They turn out some impressive UOA as well after 10k runs. I'm sure you'll have many more worry free miles. Always make sure to lube the o-ring before installing the filter housing. Thx for posting the pics.

188K and nothing but oil and air filter changes, one set of spark plugs on the engine. Oil level goes down about 1/4qt between changes. Still get 32MPG in winter and 34MPG in summer. These 1.8L's are good engines.

Originally Posted by JC1
Pics look good. You should have posted a pic of the end of the filter to see the construction.

Obliged and a picture of the new one.
These are from ebay. Direct from China filters.I bought 2.
They said OEM Denso filter.
It did look pretty close to the real thing , but I'm sure its a copy...

IMG_7884.JPG

IMG_7885.JPG

Looks good! Thanks for the extra Pics. The new filter looks like the pleat spacing is more uniform.

]Was there anything caught down in the deep part of the pleats of the used filter? That sealant looks pretty stout.

I've never seen one of these style filters with tears at the ends. Maybe I haven't been looking closely enough with the posts here.

Last edited:
This is Bob is the oil guy and engines can't last over 40,000 miles unless Boutique oil and filters are used and changed at no more than 4983 miles.

Originally Posted by CT8
This is Bob is the oil guy and engines can't last over 40,000 miles unless Boutique oil and filters are used and changed at no more than 4983 miles.

You forgot to mention that you have to send the oil for analysis testing too.
I guess we're all blind and can't see when oil is spent .

I ran the Fram Extended Guards for the longest time in my GF's Corolla, until I got a good deal on a bulk set of OEM. The cap is only supposed to be torqued to 13 ft/lbs IIRC, but because of all the plastic threads and not lubing the o-ring, it tends to get stuck. Our 1.8 has the TSB related start up rattle...Not going to worry about it until it actually has an effect on drivability. I need to do a UOA to ensure this isn't harming anything, but with all the posts around the web from others that have the same issue, it seems that the oil remains unaffected by this rattle.

Last edited:
The used filter doesn't look like Denso, pleat ends too thick with glue. Denso pleats look more like the Chinese knockoff you bought. Which may be a real Denso as they said.

I take it back that I think it isn't a Denso. It isn't. The glue ring on top is also sloppy, as well as no Denso has open pleat ends like that. It must have been verbal that the car was dealer serviced? Doesn't matter just observation. That's no Denso product there.

Originally Posted by CT8

You forgot something. It doesn't have metal endcaps, which means it is an inferior design

Again..what's the micron rating? Who cares how it looks if its a 40 micron filter vs a 20 micron one. I'll take the 20..don't care if I pay $8 vs the $2.50 here. And I could less how pretty it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back