2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL 3.0L V6 60k miles- Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello members,

I've recently come across an opportunity to purchase a 2010 LaCrosse CXL. It's a 3.0 L V6 with 60k miles, the one that's no longer offered. I've heard issues about inadequate torque vs the 3.6L as well as durability/motor oil/fuel dilution related tot he timing chain and "new" DI GM engine. Also heard issues about hesitation to downshift during certain times. It is optioned with 18" wheels and the Luxury Package - Rear electric blind; Wood & leather-trimmed, steering wheel; Ventilated driver seat and front passenger seat: Smart card/smart key; includes central locking ; includes ignition starter; Card key power locks and the Comfort and Convenience Package #2 - Rear radar parking distance sensors; Memorized adjustment: includes two driver settings and door mirror position; Smart card/smart key; ; includes memory seat; Driver and passenger door mirrors.

It does not have the HID lights or the rear entertainment or HUD or Nav system. The car was driven in AZ for its entire life and has a clean carfax with no dealer recall related visits. Just std oil changes and tire rotations. It was driven 20k in its 1st year, 10k for the last 3 yrs. Initial service visit was at 21k miles with oil change and around 5k for subsequent oil changes. No other major services were performed.

My question is concerning the overall reliability of this car for this year. I come from a background of Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Acura TL, Lexus LS430, Toyota Prius. This would be my first foray into a GM car. From the recent consumer reports, Buick has an average or better reliability but the 2010 specific rating for the LaCrosse is below avg, specifically, the engine cooling system, fuel system, electrical and audio components getting "worst" ratings. The 2012 seems to have the best rating for the "current" LaCrosse.

I am a DIY person, so regular maintenance is not an issue with me, however more involved issues like timing chain or major engine work would need to be outsourced. What is the "lifespan" for this engine? if there is one.

I'm leaning towards it due to the quiet nature and comfortable seats.

I am aware of the major service intervals for ATF fluid, coolant, spark plugs and would change the ATF upon acquiring the car.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

GM does not have the same issues with their DI like many European cars and the 250 lexus cars. So do the intake/throttle body cleaning (carb cleaner works fine) every 10k and its nothing to really worry about.

The timing chain issue should have been fixed by 2010 for the most part. Just keep the oil level up and change it every 5k and you will be fine. I use Valvoline maxlife 5w30 in my 09 CTS. There's also a $4 coupon for maxlife at coupons.com

The trans I would do a drain/fill if it has 60k. I bet it has not every been done yet. Do that every 30k or as needed and it should be fine.

Its a good powertrain and if taken care of should be a good car.

Last edited:
gm di is nice. my dad had a 2010 cobalt ss with the turbo 4 cyl. amazing car. Now he has a brand new equinox. It has been perfect as well. I would not worry about it being di.

These LaCrosses are very nice cars. I would prefer the 3.6, I had the 3.0 in a Terrain and my parents have it in their SRX, while both have been smooth performers and reliable, they are lacking a bit of low end torque. The 3.6 also gets the same fuel economy.

But if it's the right price and it's otherwise well equipped, I'd go for it.

Sounds like a good one. Our '11 has been great , but it has the 3.6. If you find the power adequate, I don't see any reason to hold back on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back