200k Challenge: Which Will Hold Better? 2021 Colorado or the 2021 Ranger?

Doing an oil change on the new Ranger is very inconvenient, and would be a potential area of frustration for a DIY'er. The location of the oil filter is very...unfortunate.
Bollocks, you take 3 clips out and the filter is right there. You don't have to crawl under the truck or remove the tire.

You guys crack me up Turbo this Turbo that SCARY! How many hundreds of thousands of miles do Turbo Diesel trucks run? Most consider them super reliable. Gas turbos have been around a long long time. I would suspect something like a high pressure fuel pump or timing chain guides being plastic would wear out long before any turbo issues would cause a failure. Any DI N/A vehicle would have the same issues. Keep them cool, maintain the cooling system regular oil changes and they last a long, long time. My 3.5 Ecoboost in my King Ranch is a fantastic engine, nothing really Eco about it though. Fantastic power and smooth and can be.

I also have a 2007 Sequoia with a 4.7 with 239k on it with 2 timing belt and water pump replacements. All at a cost as well. Nothing is maintenance free, nothing. Buy what you like. Don't be scared of the Ford turbo, they didn't just put it in there and not test the heck out of it.
I get what you’re saying, but comparing a diesel turbo to the latest gas jobs isn’t the same. These engines aren’t made for “work”, they’re made for fuel economy. Manufacturers fleets are built for fuel economy, meeting cafe standards, while providing enough performance to keep those first owners happy (people that lease them or hold them for 30-50k).

So, these turbo engines have everything that people are worried about for long term use (low tension rings that often get stuck in the lands, timing chain and phasers, direct injection, low viscosity thin oil, and extended oil change intervals).

There are plenty of certified Ford techs on YouTube working in dealerships that will show you these engine failures (especially those 1.5 turbo Ford engines). Having said that, yeah I think the EcoBoost in the pickups have been around long enough, gone through updates and improvements (tensioners come to mind), and are fine with good maintenance, watching your oil levels, and towing temps, etc. But I do think there are still issues with modern turbo engines for people planning on really using them and keeping them a long time.

So, these turbo engines have everything that people are worried about for long term use (low tension rings that often get stuck in the lands, timing chain and phasers, direct injection, low viscosity thin oil, and extended oil change intervals).
NA Direct Injected engines have all these same issues. Just no liquid cooled turbos. All in the name of efficiency and power. Any overhead cam engine has variable valve timing. Heck even the new GM V8 pushrod engines have cylinder deactivation. What a problem that's been. All low tension rings, all have some form of cam phaser all low viscosity oil. Pick your poison.

For the sake of argument though, the days simplistic engines 5.3L/6.0L LS based GM, 4.7L Toyota, 5.7L Toyota they're going away. Toyota is the last manufacturer to have any semblance of simplicity left. The are not fuel efficient or powerful on a competitive basis but they will run a long time.

Toyota is the last manufacturer to have any semblance of simplicity left. The are not fuel efficient or powerful on a competitive basis but they will run a long time.
the UR was a high tech motor when it was new. certainly not idiot friendly when compared to a gm gen V.

simple does not mean reliable

Last edited:
NA Direct Injected engines have all these same issues. Just no liquid cooled turbos. All in the name of efficiency and power. Any overhead cam engine has variable valve timing. Heck even the new GM V8 pushrod engines have cylinder deactivation. What a problem that's been. All low tension rings, all have some form of cam phaser all low viscosity oil. Pick your poison.

For the sake of argument though, the days simplistic engines 5.3L/6.0L LS based GM, 4.7L Toyota, 5.7L Toyota they're going away. Toyota is the last manufacturer to have any semblance of simplicity left. The are not fuel efficient or powerful on a competitive basis but they will run a long time.
I agree. And it’s funny you mention that LS engine because that thing used to be a legend. I bought a 2018 thinking it still was a legend, boy was I wrong. Oil consumption, misfires (their direct injectors evidently went to the lowest bidder), and I traded it in before I ever had to deal with the collapsing lifters - and I’m pretty sure that would have happened...the easier you drive those things, the more it switches in and out of V4 mode and the pins wear on the ramps/ledges/grooves inside those lifters. And I was one of those folks that drive it easy and didn’t tune it out.

But you’re 100% right: the automotive world has made some HUGE changes in their technology and goals over the last ten years, and it had only one thing in mind. Fuel economy. I think it is getting better...I think they are making improvements, but there is still a lot of specific vehicles within brands that are not good. I’d be very careful buying a 4-5 year old direct injected car with 120,000 miles on it (because you could be headed for some engine problems, considering the guy before went off “recommended oil change intervals”). Been there done that.

Chevy hands down I’d rather have the 3.6 V6 then the Turbo 4 mil pot in the Ford . The turbo 4 banger will wear out faster according to Scotty . And the 10speed should be ok but then again GM stop using them in there pickup trucks so idk .
“According to Scotty” is reason enough to to the opposite.

I’d take the 2.3/10 speed rather than roll the dice with the GM 8-speed.

Unless your brand is Hyundai/Kia most modern Turbo4’s seem to be pretty well sorted.

"Scotty" LOL, Scotty cracks me up complete BS.

But it go back to maintenance. If you maintain modern vehicle they last a long, long time. People just don't do what they should, through lack of understanding, financial commitment, time I don't know. You are starting to see some high mileage 3.5/2.7 Ecoboost's now, somehow they are not all blowing up? Some how you see 2.0L Ecoboost Escapes with 200k for sale on FB all the time. They made a whole bunch of them. The truth is so few vehicles make it to 200k anyway, like less than 10% and of that number even less are one owners. Every brand has it's inherent problems now. Except maybe the 5.7/4.0L Toyota and the 4.6L Lexus 6 Speeds still really solid. Even those without proper maintenance will give you problems, cam phasers, chain tensioners and guides. Complicated and advanced engines require more and more maintenance.

I agree with previous commenters. A frontier or Tacoma will better match your current set up. However, the ecoboost ranger has my attention. I’m a N/A person too but Ford has put a lot of love into the ecoboost line lately. I’m beginning to trust them more. And as always, never a Chevy. I’ve sworn them off for good.

I agree with previous commenters. A frontier or Tacoma will better match your current set up. However, the ecoboost ranger has my attention. I’m a N/A person too but Ford has put a lot of love into the ecoboost line lately. I’m beginning to trust them more. And as always, never a Chevy. I’ve sworn them off for good.
Trust what chevy has offer , the Colorado is quality built truck

Back