200k Challenge: Which Will Hold Better? 2021 Colorado or the 2021 Ranger?

I would not worry too much about either one. I would make the case that a basic full size is a much better deal for anyone not specifically buying small. For example, a double cab basic silverado stickers for 34k vs 26.4k on the colorado. Typically a full size gets a lot more discounts, making the price gap much smaller. So i would rather pay a tiny bit more and get the 4.3L V6 with the double cab. Ford and ram have great choices in a basic N/A V6 truck as well.

I would not worry too much about either one. I would make the case that a basic full size is a much better deal for anyone not specifically buying small. For example, a double cab basic silverado stickers for 34k vs 26.4k on the colorado. Typically a full size gets a lot more discounts, making the price gap much smaller. So i would rather pay a tiny bit more and get the 4.3L V6 with the double cab. Ford and ram have great choices in a basic N/A V6 truck as well.

I might go that route with the Ram 1500 Classic; the ZF 8 speed has amazing longevity

I definitely see a lot of fleet truck Rangers of that vintage. I hardly see any Colorados on the road and therefore none as fleet vehicles.

The Colorado was a huge letdown. They marketed them to the S10 crowd, but the reliability was never there. I always liked their dark orange with grey flares. Wanted one so bad when they came out.

Reactions: NDL
I thank everyone for their replies.

The Tacoma is too pricey for what it is, and I am tall; the Tacoma's seating position isn't favorable for taller drivers (or at least for me).

The Colorado is cheap and handsome; some drivers are getting close to 30MPG on the highway. Unfortunately, I am seeing too many people agreeing with me.

The Ranger? If Ford offered a normally aspirated engine in there, I wouldn't have even started this thread; I'd have bought one.

The next Frontier will have a powerful, but thirsty, V6.
It seems to me that your pick should be Ford. I think you learn how to deal with a turbo engine, you will be fine. Change your oil on time and use full synthetic.

Unless parking and size are a major concern, I would skip the midsize truck segment altogether.

Not to throw a wrench but are you buying new? I find the new (I struggle to call it new because it’s kind of an old global platform) Ranger to be a PITA to actually use as a truck. It is too big for a 1/4ton and the bed height/side wall height make loading more difficult than need be. Regardless you can probably can get a better deal on a used F-150 with the naturally aspirated 3.5 or 3.7 that will return similar fuel economy and give you more capability. Those things should be easy to find with light use since the ultra light duty users (e.g. suburban dads who haul mulch twice a year from Home Depot) will be trading in for the new body style.

Have you considered the JT Gladiator? A base Sport could be had for 35k, less with some dealing. As a Wrangler owner I don't think the JT is attractive and know it's not for everyone. However it has a reputable N/A V6 that's been in production since 2011, a great transmission and body on frame construction. It'll last as long as you want it to with some fluid film applied on the undercarriage every winter. Oh, it's also the easiest oil chance you'll ever do in your life on a modern vehicle.

If GM would put that 4.3 into the Colorado, there would probably be one in my driveway!

I'm 6'7". From one tall guy to another, buy a full size. The small trucks are way too expensive for what they are. As someone else on the thread mentioned, the full sizes also get better discounts. If you're worried about fuel economy, check the link in the post before mine for a $23K Ecodiesel work truck. That's pretty hard to beat.

I just got a used full size SUV (Navigator) and I am loving it. The gas mileage sucks but considering I paid 10,600 out the door, well, I could buy a lot of gas with the distance between there and a brand new 4 door midsize. (And then I would be stuck with a small truck to boot). Many of the powertrain parts and the front part of the suspension are the same as the F150, so parts are plentiful and cheap.

The problem is that you had the 2001 Ranger, which was really quite legendary for longevity...and now you’re choosing between two vehicles in a much different generation (DI, turbo, more gears in the transmission, etc).

Not sure I’d trust either one of them to make it to 200,000 miles, trouble free. And because both are so new, no one really knows...not a fleet guy, no one. I’d go with Toyota for a longterm pickup right now.

Tacos are small + overpriced + you wont get a 4WD + V-6 under 30G i would guess BUT if you got the $$$ + dont mind the smaller size their V-6 now uses D4S tech aka both types of injection, complicated but in use for at least 10 years in their infinity line on some engines. on a budget the earlier proven VQ40 frontier cant be beat IMO, if in the south a really cheep RWD could be had. not a fan of newer complicated small turbo engines, KISS keep it simple stupid is my moto!! as usual how much $$$$ you got to spend!!!

I’ve been a Tacoma owner since 2002. 3.4L V6 and currently 15 Tacoma 4.0L V6. Can say enough about them. Hated getting rid of the 2002 (190K) but needed a double cab…hence the 15 (104K). Will be looking into the 22 Tundra (TT V6) in three years. No major issues with either Tacoma.

You guys crack me up Turbo this Turbo that SCARY! How many hundreds of thousands of miles do Turbo Diesel trucks run? Most consider them super reliable. Gas turbos have been around a long long time. I would suspect something like a high pressure fuel pump or timing chain guides being plastic would wear out long before any turbo issues would cause a failure. Any DI N/A vehicle would have the same issues. Keep them cool, maintain the cooling system regular oil changes and they last a long, long time. My 3.5 Ecoboost in my King Ranch is a fantastic engine, nothing really Eco about it though. Fantastic power and smooth and can be.

I also have a 2007 Sequoia with a 4.7 with 239k on it with 2 timing belt and water pump replacements. All at a cost as well. Nothing is maintenance free, nothing. Buy what you like. Don't be scared of the Ford turbo, they didn't just put it in there and not test the heck out of it.

Back