2009 Subaru Legacy popping/knocking when turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over at another forum I visit, someone has a problem with their 2009 subaru legacy with a manual transmission.

Here's a link to the thread over at legacygt.com where he explains what's going on.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/please-help-popping-noise-259481.html

I understand trying to diagnose a problem like this over the internet isn't easy. I'm just curious to see if anyone has heard this sound before, and can maybe identify where it's coming from. I understand it could be many things, but maybe we'll get lucky and someone can easily identify it.

The right front cv axle has been replaced, as well as the steering rack, which did not fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the CV axle new Chinese or reman Cardone? Are all the tires the same brand, model and size? Subarus are very sensitive to tire size/RPM variances, even the smallest difference can wreck the AWD system. Are the wheel bearings free of play?

Originally Posted By: nthach
Was the CV axle new Chinese or reman Cardone? Are all the tires the same brand, model and size? Subarus are very sensitive to tire size/RPM variances, even the smallest difference can wreck the AWD system. Are the wheel bearings free of play?

Yes, I totally understand.

He did mention driving on a flat tire for 5 miles, which I understand was probably pretty tough on the center diff.

He did mention that all 4 tires have a circumference within .25", which is what subaru calls for. 2/32" or .25" circumference.

He did mention this
"I discovered something pretty odd. With the front end jacked up I rocked one wheel by hand back and forth aggressively. There was some range of motion where it felt easy to move the wheel then it would hit into something and become harder. I tested another car like this and it was completely different. "

I've heard with subarus, you can't diagnose a bad wheel bearing by rocking the wheel, but I'm not positive about that. Maybe he'll reply here to provide better answers, I put a link to this thread over in his other thread.

*I'm also pretty sure the car had been in an accident before he bought it, I think he said he bought it wrecked.

OP:
cv not replaced properly? Center diff failed/ locked?

talk like this doesn't make me feel good about your guy :
"I discovered something pretty odd. With the front end jacked up I rocked one wheel by hand back and forth aggressively. There was some range of motion where it felt easy to move the wheel then it would hit into something and become harder. I tested another car like this and it was completely different" If he was experienced he would know where to go from there.

Whatever it is, it sounds directly connected to the structure of the car. Seems like if it were driveline related it would at least have mounts to isolate.

Strut bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back