2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Havoline DS 5w-30 4,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a sample of Havoline with Depositshield 5w-30 from my naturally aspirated 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE. I wasn't planning on running a UOA, so I'm not sure of my exact oci length or how much make-up oil I used. The oci was roughly 4k, and around 1qt of make-up oil. I decided to get a UOA because over the course of this oci, I had some nasty start up noise around a dozen times and I was curious to see if I would see elevated wear levels in a UOA. Needless to say, the start-up noise didn't appear to do any harm, or if it did it's not reflected in the UOA. I used a OEM Subaru oil filter, which is mounted vertically with the threads on the topside. I know 4k isn't the longest oci, but I see Havoline 5w-30 shear to a 5w-20 often and didn't want to push it since I tend to drive my car on the hard side. I'm only posting a UOA image and no text because the image is hosted on my server and I have no plans to remove it any time soon. The previous February results are with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30

havolineuoa.jpg

Hmmm.
Maybe our Subaru doesn't really need GC.
Yours is among some other good UOAs hereon using thin 5W-30s in the 2.5 NA.
You learn things all the time, as long as you keep an open mind.
I am learning that the Subie/thick oil thing may be just another fable.
I am a little concerned about the make-up oil needed in only 4K, though.

Been a while since we've had a Havoline report.. rarely disappoints from what I remember!

Originally Posted By: webfors
Been a while since we've had a Havoline report.. rarely disappoints from what I remember!

I seem to remember that as well!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
It did not come close to shearing to a 20 weight. I'd push it out to 6,000 next time

Most conventional oils do in this application. Great oil!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
If you keep using that oil 5k could be a good OCI for you.

I'd think 7500 would be easy given the TBN.

I agree - great results, can easily go longer!

The bit of shearing, by 1cst, isn't a big deal at all......

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I appreciate the comments. I'm a bit confused by the comments here and by blackstone though. With this sample checking in 8.74cSt @100C, it appears that the oil did in fact shear down to a 20wt, with the lower limit for a 30 being 9.3cSt @100C. With that said, it didn't appear to make any difference in wear.

Don't worry about the shearing. Boxer engines seem to shear down oils. You could easily do 8K miles. These engines could run on urine.

I appreciate the comments. I'm a bit confused by the comments here and by blackstone though. With this sample checking in 8.74cSt @100C, it appears that the oil did in fact shear down to a 20wt, with the lower limit for a 30 being 9.3cSt @100C. With that said, it didn't appear to make any difference in wear.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/lubes/exxonmobil/marine/files/Engineering_Data.pdf

I guess Blackstone presumes that most Energy Conserving 30 grades will shear to a 20 grade (and based on the averages), which is why they're saying that viscosity is right where it should be.

If you want to run a more shear stable oil and perhaps add less make-up oil, a High Mileage oil may help.

19.gif

-Dennis

http://www.exxonmobil.com/lubes/exxonmobil/marine/files/Engineering_Data.pdf
You dont know if it made a difference in wear BC you didnt analyse the filter contents. UOA are not a wear indicator in this range. Our car loves the new pennzoil GF-5 HM 5w-30 - It was noisy and low on power, used oil and ate gas with the thinner oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back