2009 Subaru Forester / new / best oil & filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2009 Subaru Forest with the 2.5L "boxer" engine and was looking for recommendations on the oil & filter for a long life.
I was thinking of using the Mobil 1 0-30w & maybe the Mobil 1 oil filter or perhaps a Pureone or Wix ....
Anyone have experience with the Microgreen oil filters?
I would do recommmended oil changes(mileage/time)during the warranty period & extended oil changes after that...
I always keep my cars 10+ years...
Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,

Subaru has a specific oil pressure relief rating that currently no aftermarket filter meets, though many "fit". Purolator, M1, etc. filters are fine, but have pressure settings of 11-14psi instead of the Subaru-specific 23-25psi. Though the new Subaru OEM filter is made by Honeywell (Fram), it still 100% meets new warranty requirements. That's my suggestion, as a 3-time Subaru offender...er, owner :)

For the non-turbo 2.5L any SM rated oil is fine, they are quite easy on oils. 5w-30 or 10w-30 is fine, can't go wrong. For severe service, Subaru recommends thicker weights (5w-40, 10w-40). Traditionally Subies like a tad thicker oil.

Oh, and WELCOME!!

I'd stay will the OEM filter at least until there is an after-market that meets the engine requirement i.e. pressure relief valve as stated above. I prefer a Dino such as Pennzoil and follow the manufactures recommendation. In addition, I would not dump the factory oil until at least 2,000 miles.

Does the same pressure requirements apply to the Subaru 3.6L engine? I have been using mobil 1 filters for the last 2 oil changes, and sure don't want to ruin such a great engine.

Congrats on the new Forester. I got my '09 Forester back in early August, and absolutely love it. Before buying that Forester I owned another Forester for over 9 years. Great cars that aren't too big, yet can haul a lot of stuff and can take some serious abuse.

For filters I use Purolator PureOnes PL14612. They're solid filters and at 14-18 PSI have the highest release valve PSI that I've found for a non-OEM filter. I've thought about using the PureOne PL14610 b/c it's the same filter just about a half inch taller, and might switch to that once my warranty is done and I can start doing extended OCIs. There's plenty of space for the longer filter, so it's nice to know that's an option if needed.

On my last Forester I used non-OEM filters for about the last 6-7 years I had it and I never had any issue I could relate to the oil or filter. But if you're concerned about the reduce PSI on the release valve, then by all means use the OEM filters. It's not worth losing any sleep just to save a couple of dollars. So if using the OEM filter gives you peace of mind, then I suggest you do it.

If you haven't checked it out yet, I suggest looking under the Forester to see how easy it is to change the oil. Honestly, it's the easiest car that I know of. You don't need ramps or anything, everything is very easily accessible, and the filter is perfectly vertical so it can easily be pre-filled. The hardest part of doing an oil change comes from the fact that the oil filter is surrounded by the exhaust headers, it's not bad but you can't mindlessly remove the filter. That's why for my next change I'm thinking I might drain the oil hot, then grab a drink and let it cool down before doing the filter.

On my last Forester I used conventional the entire time I had it and I never had any oil problems. As someone mentioned already the non-turbo 2.5L Subaru engines are very easy on oil, so any SM oil will do.

With this Forester I currently have Havoline DS (dino) 5w-30 in there, and that's also what will be going in at the next oil change. The oil change after that (November'ish) I'm planning to switch it to synthetic to give synth a try. I've bought a few jugs of the M1 0w-30 b/c of the $10 rebate, and plan on seeing how that runs in it.

Currently my plan is to do a UOA on the second fill of Havoline DS, then do a UOA on the second fill of M1 0w-30, after that I'm thinking of doing two runs of Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 with another UOA on the second fill. That'll let me see how the engine is breaking in, and also decide on what oil I want to run.

If I do everything as I currently plan, I'll post my UOA as I get them done, however it'll take a while before I do them. I drive two cars, the Forester and an old beater SUV, b/c of that my mileage gets split between them. Like I said I got the Forester the beginning of last August, here we are in the middle of June and I have under 5k miles on it. So I'm doing about 6k miles per vehicle each year.

Lastly, Bill in Utah has a Forester (an '06 I think), and he's done a ton of UOAs, so if he posts on here check out what he says cause the engine hasn't changed too much in the past few years

During warranty - stock oil filter, 5w-30 PP or M1.

After warranty - stock oil filter, keep using 5w-30 PP or M1 or free to switch to 0w-30 M1 if that's what you want.

I'm running PP 5w30 year round with 10k km oci's and the tokyo roki black oem filter. I'd second the Purolator or new oem oil filter as my next choice.

I love my Forester with the 5mt. Great drivers' car for a family hauler... with an awd system that always puts a smile on my face
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I put 0W40 synthetic in my parent's 2005 Legacy 2.5i

But I'm going to ask them as soon as they get back from Europe how long they plan to keep the car. Because if they plan on keeping it forever, then I'll keep putting 0W40 synthetic in it, if they plan on not taking it with them when they move overseas (they adore this car).. then Mobil clean 5000 5W30.

I have a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited. I bought it last July. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 European since new. I also use the Purolater Pureone filter. No problems and I do my own work myself. I am almost at 30,000 miles and after reading what they do I am going to this myself. These cars are EASY to maintain. If you are at all slightly mechanically inclined, you can do this work yourself. I do 100+ miles a day with mine and love it. I may look to get a Forester next year when my Durango gives up the ghost.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back