2009 Mazda Speed 3, 2.3L Turbo 3500 Miles 5/30 PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
first oil change since taking delivery. about 3500 miles on the car, about 4 months old. suburban driving, moderately driven.
replaced factory fill oil.

HOW DO I ATTACH THE OIL REPORT PDF?????

My Report for the 2009 MazdaSpeed:
This is a sample of factory break-in oil from your Mazda. The high wear metals and silicon are
common and nothing to worry about. The metals are from new parts wearing in while silicon is from
sand-casted parts plus lubes and sealers used during engine assembly. All of these elements will decrease
after future oil changes. 1.5% of the sample was gas probably from rings still getting seated and city driving.
That number should get better as well. The TBN was 2.7, showing some active additive left. It's almost
gone at 1.0. Try 4,000 miles & check back to see improvements.

OIL GC0w30
MILES IN USE 4.4k
MILES 152.5k
SAMPLE TAKEN 10/27/07

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 37
COPPER 270
LEAD 8
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 80
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 5
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 4
SILICON 56
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1688
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 690
ZINC 836
BARIUM 12

INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 335
SUS VIS 210ºF 56
cSt @ 212ºF 9.07

Last edited:
That's messed up. Your title says PP 5W-30; your report says GC 0W-30. It's a 2009, but it has 152,500 miles ('152.5k')?

Seriously bad wear metals, bad fuel dilution, and bad viscosity loss - down to 9cst from 12!

I think copper is from turbo bearings, so it looks like your turbo is going out on you - I've read this happened to another member here...

Sorry - copied someone else's post, and forgot to change the one section of info -

My Report for the 2009 MazdaSpeed:
This is a sample of factory break-in oil from your Mazda. The high wear metals and silicon are common and nothing to worry about. The metals are from new parts wearing in while silicon is from sand-casted parts plus lubes and sealers used during engine assembly. All of these elements will decrease after future oil changes. 1.5% of the sample was gas probably from rings still getting seated and city driving. That number should get better as well. The TBN was 2.7, showing some active additive left. It's almost gone at 1.0. Try 4,000 miles & check back to see improvements.

OIL 5w20 (stock fill from manufacturer, break in oil)
MILES IN USE 3439 miles
MILES 3439 miles
SAMPLE TAKEN 5/13/09

ALUMINUM 6
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 37
COPPER 270
LEAD 8
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 80
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 5
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 4
SILICON 56
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1688
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 690
ZINC 836
BARIUM 12

INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 335
SUS VIS 210ºF 56
cSt @ 212ºF 9.07

Ah, well that changes things!

Copper is very high - yes, it is break in metal, but its a lot. I'd do a couple of 2-3k dino changes to flush this out before moving to a synthetic or longer intervals.

Do the MazdaSpeed 3's recommend 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil? I thought they specified 5W-30 oil; so it would make sense that this oil sheared down to 9.07cst. What oil did you replace this with?

My Report for my second oil change for 2009 MazdaSpeed 3:

Things have improved greatly in this second analysis. Most of the previously high wear metals have settled down to average levels. Copper is still up there, but it tends to be the last metal to settle down due to the way brass/bronze parts are machined. It will drop more with time. Silicon also plummeted, so the residue from sealers and sand casted parts is washing out nicely. The fuel has disappeared, and the TBN
read strong at 4.5, showing lots of active additive left. Try 5,000 miles next and look for more improvements.
This is going to be a nice engine.

OIL 5w30 - Penzoil Platinum
Total Miles - 7330
Miles on Sample - 3891
SAMPLE TAKEN 8/16/09

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 14
COPPER 111
LEAD 3
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 48
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 30
SILICON 11
SODIUM 2
CALCIUM 2737
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 638
ZINC 736
BARIUM 2

INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 390
SUS VIS 210ºF 53.9
cSt @ 212ºF 8.44
Fuel Antifreeze 0
TBN 4.5

Brutal, brutal shearing. If Mazda allows it, I'd run something thicker. Copper might be 'partially' from lack of viscosity.....

I have used Pennzoil Platinum in my '08 Speed 3 since new and now, at 31,000 miles I have to say it is a very good oil for this engine. Being HTO-06 approved pretty much guarantees that it is up to the lubrication challenges of this blown direct inj engine.

I just changed oil this weekend and a peek inside the valve cover shows a superbly clean engine. Never any consumption over 4500 mile OCI's.

Although you may hear the "zoom, zoom, boom" talk on the various message boards, those are usually highly modified cars, that have had Mazda's ECU safety net removed. I have zero mods and no problems, ever.

Only one to remember - never lug the engine in a Speed 3; they still develop boost at low RPM's and that does stress the connecting rods somewhat. Just keep the engine singing and enjoy your car.

Cheers!

funny you should mention that..i tend to run around town at 4/5th gear. i like to keep the rpms low. i try not to step on the pedal too hard though when accelerting from low speed.

this is the way i drove my bmws. do i need to drive the speed around at 3000 rpm?

It depends from engine to engine, but on my car if I am below 1500rpm and I hit the gas, it will lug the engine. Don't give it gas before putting it into a gear that will put you above your lug rpms.

Lugging the engine is bad bad bad. I generally shift down at 1,5000 rpm and up at 3,000 rpm. Doesn't really matter what rpm you shift up at, as long as you don't red line the thing...just uses more gas. I also wouldn't go anywhere near red line until the engine is nice and warm.

i definitly don't go below 2000. even at 2000, i apply light gas to accelerate.

i always wait for operating temp before placing any demands on my babys. rarely red line anything.

with respect to the shear comment,i have the question into the black stone guys. my observations - if mazda is happy with a 5,000-7500 mile oil change with dino oil, synthetic at 4500 oil change interval would seem to be fine. i understand synthetic deals with shear forces much better than conventional oils. i plan on testing oil to show a 7500 interval is probably fine on the turbo, especially during non summer months.

I ready recently that keeping the RPMs at 2.5K to 3K is also helpful in dealing with the intake/valve deposits per the Porsche DI crowd. Intersting comments regarding the shearing from lugging though.

Or if 5w-30 is required, there is another uoa for a turbo where Mobil 1 Extended Performance stayed in grade with fuel % listed at TR. Try that.

Good report for a new engine. I also use 5w30 PP in my 2.3T CX7. The engine according to my UOAs should be broken in by ~ 10,000 miles. Nice load of Moly and Boron in the factory fill which is supposedly a blend oil.

Originally Posted By: nyzman

with respect to the shear comment,i have the question into the black stone guys. my observations - if mazda is happy with a 5,000-7500 mile oil change with dino oil, synthetic at 4500 oil change interval would seem to be fine. i understand synthetic deals with shear forces much better than conventional oils. i plan on testing oil to show a 7500 interval is probably fine on the turbo, especially during non summer months.

Mazda has surely (most likely) factored this into the specification. We've seen some engine trash the living snot out of oil and they couldn't care less about it.

If this was M1 0w-40 ..people would be marveling over the fantastic results you got ..and would have the shearing be the invisible elephant in the room. For that oil, it's a built in feature. For yours, it's a defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back