2009 Mazda Speed 3, 2.3L Turbo 3500 Miles 5/30 PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the 5w-20 vs. 5w-30 discussion with the dealership because my wife noticed they put 5w-20 in ours and she requested that they use the 5w-30 to match the owners manual. I called the service manager and was told that they had 5w-30 in the shop for the turbo cars and that it was their mistake. He checked their electronic service manual and it said 5w-30. I was running Pennzoil Platinum when I traded mine.

For the people not familiar with these cars, the six speed transmission is geared such that 5th and 6th are on either side of 1:1 so running around in 4th and 5th isn't the same as in a standard 5 speed. It's a tight ratio transmission. My 2000 SS Camaro was a six speed, but 4th was the 1:1 and had to overdrives.

The turbo engine, in general, isn't really designed for low rpm's, but the direct injection helps the low end quite a bit in the MS3. I tried to say on the positive side of 2,000 rpm, but it's pretty easy to tell when it's lugging.

I would have no problem "lugging" per se about ~2000 rpm to keep economy tight, (I woudlnt accelerate like that though) and I would certainly NOT DO THAT on an SM Energy Conserving 30 grade!!! The engine has crankpin forces double that of most other similarly high torqued engines, and I would not play around with chincy oil with regard to that. The copper on this report confirms that thoroughly as the bearings have the copper overlay. No, it's not from a sandwich oil heat exchanger!

I have a 6i and am active on the 6 forums, all the Speed6 owners with your same engine, run Synthetic 5w-40 because of the shear numbers they've been getting, also to combat the weak pcv that slows oil circulation through the turbo. Mazda has a TSB about the redesign of the PCV valve and more recently one about clogged EGR. Mazda has even started to recommend 5w-40 from their master techs so I'd say give it a whirl. Give a 0w-40 a shot (because if I've read right, at ambient temp it's a bit thinner but is the same at operating temp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back