2009 Kia Sedona - brake parts - recommendations on brand(s)

Hello all -

We'll be doing the brakes all around on my son's 2009 Kia Sedona van. Well, actually it will be him doing the work - my gimpy hand is still in a splint after a bike crash a few weeks ago. But anyway, I'm looking at the myriad of choices of brake parts out there, and it's bewildering. We plan to replace the parking brake shoes, the rear rotors, calipers, and pads, and the front rotors and pads.

Parking Brake Shoes:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...25,brake+&+wheel+hub,parking+brake+shoe,10177

Rear Calipers:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia,2009,sedona,3.8l+v6,1444125,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

Rotors:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia,2009,sedona,3.8l+v6,1444125,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Pads:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/kia,2009,sedona,3.8l+v6,1444125,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

Your opinions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Mando calipers, Power Stop Geomet coated rotors, Akebono pads, and whichever parking brake shoes ship from the same warehouse as the other parts.

Are you replacing the caliper(s) as preventative maintenance ?

As for the pads and rotors, I personally pass on what RA calls "economy" grade. Rotors - take your pick from AC Delco, Centric, or Bosch. Pads - same brands along with Raybestos, Wagner. Power Stop seems to be good stuff but I think they charge a premium just for their "name".

Are the parking brake shoes worn-out? Those rarely require replacement unless someone drove with the parking brake engaged.

Reactions: JC1
raybestos element 3 rotors and the matching pads, or akebono pads

whats wrong with the calipers? if you do replace dont get remanufactured or unpainted.

Reactions: JC1
Are you replacing the caliper(s) as preventative maintenance ?

As for the pads and rotors, I personally pass on what RA calls "economy" grade. Rotors - take your pick from AC Delco, Centric, or Bosch. Pads - same brands along with Raybestos, Wagner. Power Stop seems to be good stuff but I think they charge a premium just for their "name".
Jr had brake problems while on holiday, which turned out to be due to one rear pad on one side seizing up in the carrier, wearing down, and chewing up the rotor. They were staying with relatives in another province, and a mechanic friend stopped by and said that the calipers were so rusty that they should be replaced.

Are the parking brake shoes worn-out? Those rarely require replacement unless someone drove with the parking brake engaged.
Yes, they lent the van to someone who drove it with the parking brake on. GRRRR!

raybestos element 3 rotors and the matching pads, or akebono pads

whats wrong with the calipers? if you do replace dont get remanufactured or unpainted.
Rusty, and initially thought to have caused the problem (but likely didn't). Thanks for the warning about rebuilt and/or unpainted!

Sangsin aftermarket is decent for Korean cars. Sometimes the Beck/Arnley "OE" pads are Sangsin for Korean cars. But I still prefer dealer pads if given the choice.
The rest of the stuff is a commodity.

Unless the calipers are frozen or leaking and the parking brake shoes worn, why replace them? If this is a keeper, ceramic pads. Akebono, Bosch QuietCast, Brembo NAO, ATE. For rotors, if you can find which are not make in China, get those, otherwise, Brembo.

Go for dealer parking brake shoes. The reason for that is there is a huge difference in friction characteristics needed for park brake shoes vs regular brake shoes that most if not all of the aftermarket does not pick up on. Park brake shoes need a friction material with a massively high coefficient of static friction so the park brake holds. This is an undesirable characteristic on a regular brake shoe as it would make the brakes grabby. Most aftermarket brake manufacturers use the same friction material for park brake shoes as regular brake shoes which leads to park brake shoes that dont work the best.

Go for dealer parking brake shoes. The reason for that is there is a huge difference in friction characteristics needed for park brake shoes vs regular brake shoes that most if not all of the aftermarket does not pick up on.

Interesting theory. Do you have any documentation to support the assertion that aftermarket is inferior in that aspect? Most car manufacturers don't make their own pads or shoes and buy them from aftermarket manufacturers to begin with.

Interesting theory. Do you have any documentation to support the assertion that aftermarket is inferior in that aspect? Most car manufacturers don't make their own pads or shoes and buy them from aftermarket manufacturers to begin with.
Correct, but the OE specs the friction material that they want used. I have anecdotal/experience based evidence gained over 20 years of fixing cars for a living and dealing with parking brakes that dont work well with am shoes including my own Chevy Suburban. I went cheap and put Aftermarket shoes on and no matter what I did with adjustment or burn in I could not get them to hold. Put OE shoes on them, adjusted to spec same as where the AM shoes started (jacked the AM shoes up to the point of dragging trying to get them to hold well enough that I could put an inspection sticker on it (yeah, I inspect my cars the same as I do my customer cars)) and had a great parking brake, no burn in, same rotors .

As far as the confirmation on that from OE and AM brake engineers, have nothing in writing, thats the kind of info you get at the bar after a training event

Go for dealer parking brake shoes. The reason for that is there is a huge difference in friction characteristics needed for park brake shoes vs regular brake shoes that most if not all of the aftermarket does not pick up on. Park brake shoes need a friction material with a massively high coefficient of static friction so the park brake holds. This is an undesirable characteristic on a regular brake shoe as it would make the brakes grabby. Most aftermarket brake manufacturers use the same friction material for park brake shoes as regular brake shoes which leads to park brake shoes that dont work the best.

The aftermarket shoes being the same as regular shoes is still not a problem because cars with rear drum brakes use those same shoes for the parking brake; they don't have separate shoes. And many cars with rear discs run their parking brake off the rear pads and don't even have separate shoes for the parking brake. None of those would exist if parking brake friction absolutely had to be different than that used in regular rear brakes.

I have owned cars with all three parking brake types. None of them were especially grabby, and none had parking brake problems that could be attirbuted to the friction material used. Most braking is done by the front brakes anyway.

OE manufacturers purchase from aftermarket suppliers but the production line for OE is different than for the aftermarket side. The OE production line is typically fully automated and the formulas and tooling used can be proprietary to a particular agreement.

The aftermarket shoes being the same as regular shoes is still not a problem because cars with rear drum brakes use those same shoes for the parking brake; they don't have separate shoes. And many cars with rear discs run their parking brake off the rear pads and don't even have separate shoes for the parking brake. None of those would exist if parking brake friction absolutely had to be different than that used in regular rear brakes.

I have owned cars with all three parking brake types. None of them were especially grabby, and none had parking brake problems that could be attirbuted to the friction material used. Most braking is done by the front brakes anyway.
Drum brake cars have far larger shoes (more surface area) than a park brake shoe does and they also wear into the radius of the drum which a park brake shoe never really (should) have a chance to do. More surface area and more clamping force and the park brake holds. Same with a rear brake that has the park brake integrated into the caliper, significantly more clamping force can be generated which can overcome the friction characteristics of the pad. Park brake shoes are tiny without as much clamping force and need all the help they can get

I’d get Raybestos pads and Rotors. Also Raybestos calipers if available and I’m not too sure on parking brake shoes as I have never had to replace those.

I've had very good luck so far on 2 vehicles with the Durago rotor brand off of rockauto. Very nice for the money. No issues with warping or noise.

The Akebono pads that I installed in my dad's '02 Frontier also work well, make zero noise, and have a good linear stop feel.

Back