2009 Jetta TDI UOA - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the oil is the proper grade and SAE rating for the engine?

The TBN is fine, but the iron seems to be a bit high. I do not take too much away from Blackstone's universal averages as they are by engine for an average mileage using any oil.

PU is excellent oil, so I would expect excellent results.

How many QT sump?

Last edited:
It is the proper oil for the engine (VW 507). I don't understand your last question.

Looks good to me, though I'm wondering why the iron is elevated. Monitor that for next time (could be the norm for your specific motor).

Looks good, but if you have 70K total it would be worth trying a 5/40 to see if it improves the figures. Most TDI owners in Germany switch from 5/30 to 5/40 around 100K km and the ones with the big right boot get better results afterwards.
The other experiment is to try an oil with more Zinc (1000 ppm plus), but that will be restricted by the exhaust system limits.

Last edited:
There is no 5/40 that is approved for this engine (VW 507 compliant). The 507 oils seem to be pretty close to that, though. Note the viscosity numbers.

Originally Posted By: ECS
There is no 5/40 that is approved for this engine (VW 507 compliant). The 507 oils seem to be pretty close to that, though. Note the viscosity numbers.

I know a lot of VW TDI owners and most use either Liqui Moly, Castrol or Mobil oils and not many pay too much attention to the exact VW spec outside warranty, as long as the oil they are using was recommended in the oil finder. Which exact engine do you have??

Your uoa looks very good to me. Don't know why exactly but from what I've seen with both BMW and VW diesels the ppm iron is always much higher than with gassers. There are tons of uoa's on the VW TDI forum, with many from cars in Europe. The factory oci on the TDI's over there is 30k klm (about 18k mi) with same VW 507 5w30. If the the TDI is run in commercial service, it can go 50k klm (30k mi) oci and I'm assuming it's with the same 4 liter sump as the regular "family" TDI. On the TDI forum there is a uoa from a euro TDI with about 120k miles (not klm) on the clock and the oil was changed at 27k miles (not klm) and it showed about 120 ppm iron. Somewhere on BITOG I remember Doug Hillary posting an oem condemnation limit of 150 ppm.

FWIW I had a BMW 335d and tracked the uoa's posted on their forum and most changed the oil early at around 10k mi and ran iron from 70-90 ppm.

I would definitely stick with the VW 507 5w30.

This was my 3rd oil change in a row using the Pennzoil. My car has the 2.0 common rail TDI engine.

There seem to be 3 different versions of the Jetta 2.0 TDI, the 100, 103 and 125kW. All seem to have both 5/30 and 5/40's listed by Liqui Moly who are the most popular engine oil company in Germany. For some reason they overlook some of the VW specs if they are fuel economy related.
This is their oil finder link:
Oil finder.

With reference to the other replies, I regard 100 Fe as the 10K miles limit for diesel cars, as most engines producing more than that figure seem fail within the next few OCI's. Larger diesels are different and Cummins set 200 as the limit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ECS

Yeah, 13+ cst makes this oil look like a 40wt to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back